The Neverending Upscale Discussion Thread * Summary=#457

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by mrcorbo, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

Well, I just created a 1280X1024 image in MS Paint, drew a 450X45 pixel rectangle and then drew a line from corner to corner. There were 42 steps. Unless I am missing something, I think your premise is flawed and that makes the conclusions you have drawn useless.

2. Qroach

Veteran

Ones method is completely flawed, which is what irks me in the nonsense he's started. Can we get back to talking about the game and leave One out of this?

Halo3 looks like it's going to be a blast to play, I'm really curious what bungie means by they designed the game to be replayerable more times through and the expeience will be different each time. I wonder if there will be random battles or something along those lines.

3. scooby_dooby

Legend

No. That shot looks exactly like the Beta looked.

4. Rangers

Legend

Well whenever the game comes out IGN, Gamespot, and other sites will take plenty of pics from the framebuffer, so if it's not 720P it'll show up there right?

I hope one doesn't try to deny it's 720P if all those pics come up 720P.

5. Todd33

Veteran Banned

Isn't the scaler in the 360 part of thew GPU? Is the frame buffer pre or post scaled?

6. Rangers

Legend

I dont know, people point to screens to say a game is 600p so...

But I dont think it's viable. PGR3 is supposedly 600p (who knows if even that's true, really, but it's one of the titles most commonly said as 600P) and IGN has a bunch of 720P shots of it. As well as a few at various odd resolutions and even one at 1920X1080 I think. So does that mean it's 1080p?

Gamespot seems to have small 900X pics of most games, so no good there.

7. Todd33

Veteran Banned

There are three games that are less than 720P that I know of; PGR3, THP8 and COD3. I bet the frame buffer is 720P for all of them and it is post-scaler. If true then the screen shot size is no help determining the real resolution.

8. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

PGR3 photomode?

9. Phil

Phil wipEout bastard
    Veteran

Just to clarify: The discussion based around resolution is refering to what the game is rendered at - not what the output is scaled to when sent to the TV. A game could be rendered at, i.e. 640x480 and then scaled to 1280x960. Obviously, the result would be not even close to if the game was natively rendered at 1280x960.

I think the discussion based around HALO3's resolution is interesting, as it gives us a better understanding around how devs are using the resources on Xenos to achieve what they are. If there are devs that are rendering at lower than 720p, it begs the question why and at what benefit. After all, this is a technical forum, so you can't really blame us for being curious.

At the end of the day though, and from a gamer perspective, one could really care less if the native resolution is 600p or actual 720p as it will surely look and play great. I don't think hostility is at all needed.

Hope this helped.

10. kyleb

Veteran

It certainly isn't technical when SD is defined as 480 lines in NTSC and 576 lines in PAL, while all the shots show Halo 3 obviously rendered at a higher resolution than that. I am surprised though that all the 720p captures from the trailer and the beta posted here show upscaling. I played the beta extensively and I do recall noticing at first that the fidelity was rather lacking but I quickly got sucked into the gameplay and never paid it much more mind then that. I had just been crossing my fingers that the full game will feature at least some AA and AF, without ever considering the possibility that the beta wasn't actually even pushing 720p.

11. MonkeyLicker

Newcomer

Stinkles won't answer anyone about the games native resolution on GA.
    It's probably 720p, but I see no reason not to at least be a little more respectful to people.
    I understand it's just a rumor, but it doesn't take any effort to at least be polite about it and say 720p or not.
    He's answering questions about cop-op and system link so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

12. Mintmaster

Veteran

Actually, those screenshots just prove his point. They are definitely slightly upscaled just as 'one' is suggesting.

This is a bit disappointing. You'd think a dev like Bungie would implement 4xAA. There's no reason for a large performance hit if you design your engine well. Automatic predicated tiling can increase the polygon counts substantially, but that's the lazy way of doing it. Dividing the scene into small objects and bounds-testing is the proper way, and this is something that will usually increase performance even without AA.

I'm going to cross my fingers that the final build won't be like this.

13. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

It sound fine, but it'd be amazingly great if these random placements affect almost every average monster in the game, not only sniper jackals. Thanks for the info

14. MonkeyLicker

Newcomer

The guys at Bungie are being too quiet.
    I think there might be something to this.

15. AlNets

AlNets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Moderator Legend

Might there have been performance issues due to their way of doing HDR? (combining multiple passes of the scene with different exposures ala HDR photography)

16. RobertR1

Legend

They were pretty quiet about co-op also.......we saw how that turned out.

17. MonkeyLicker

Newcomer

That's a game feature though.
    What resolution you're running at isn't something you keep secret unless it's negative.
    If it was gonna support native 1080p I could see it, but I doubt they are.

18. PARANOiA

Veteran

So because they haven't explicitly shot down a silly rumour posted by one on B3D, it is therefore true? Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch.

Here's a thought - let's wait until they explicitly give some information before throwing on the tin-foil hats. The amount of people looking to shit on some of the great stuff coming is really frustrating. :sad:

19. MonkeyLicker

Newcomer

20. NRP

NRP
    Veteran

Stinkles' quote doesn't seem to confirm anything regarding H3's internal rendering resolution.

Nevertheless, H3's internal resolution is irrelevant to everyone who doesn't have an agenda (I'm refering to both sides here). The beta looked fantastic, H3 screens look fantastic, and the gameplay seems to also be fantastic. Rendering internally at less than 720p won't make the game any less fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.