The most exciting survival story I've seen in a long time...

covermye

Newcomer
I was trusted with going to Blockbuster the other day to rent a couple of movies for the family. I make a big deal about this because according to my wife, my movie picking ability is "suspect at best". Well I didn't want to break tradition here, and one of the movies I came home with was a New Release for Blockbuster, but hardly a new tale.

It was a documentary of William Shackleton and his crew of 28 of "Endurance", the ship that took them to Antartica in 1914. Short story: On his third attempt at making it to Antartica, the Endurance becomes trapped in the mass of ice that rotates around the north side of the island. The Endurance is crushed by the ice after some months, they make an escape off the ice by pulling their 1-ton-plus lifeboats MILES in knee-deep snow to the edge, wind up on an island not near any shipping lanes, part of the crew (of which Shackleton is one) takes off on an 800 mile trip in one of the lifeboats to get to an island used by whaling vessels, and more months later, the entire crew of 28 is saved. Over two years of being lost in the most remote place on earth.

I humbly admit I wasn't familiar with this story until I saw this documentary. I've already ordered two books on the adventure of Shackleton off of Half.com today, though. Highly, highly recommended. It's amazing what these guys went through, and how important Shackleton's positive leadership was to them. The movie is nearly all original pictures AND ORIGINAL VIDEO! It's really cool to see these guys like you were right there with them. What's more, nearly every crewmember seems to have kept a daily journal which are also very, very interesting.

If you've read of the adventure, watch the documentary as the original video is just amazing!

i think i heard about this some where. I wonder if it was dennis miller. Yeah amazing story. I was quite shocked that he went back for his men.

later,
epic

Not only did he go back for his men, he attempted four different times with four different boats to get to them, iirc. Once or twice was with a boat from Venezuela but was turned back due to ice (once he was even within sight of the island but couldn't get to it!). The successful rescue was with a tugboat borrowed from the government of Chile. This guy was really a determined individual and great motivator/leader.

you yanks ;). not heard of shackleton,, shocking :)

recommend you watch some of ray-mears extreme survival guide stuff. the other tale that amazes me is the reality behind the 'heroes of telemark'.. beggers belief what they did....

on c4 in the uk there was also a drama version of the shackleton story done
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/1760008.stm
it was (obviously) compelling viewing

interesting,, that documentary looks to be touring imax cinema's
http://main.wgbh.org/imax/shackleton/

-dave-

Back