The more things change, the more they stay the same...(NES 1985 NY Times ad)

Rangers

Legend
Well I guess it's an ad...

NinAd_1985.jpg

Depth of field...realistic 3D images...buzzwords still in use today.

More interesting to me is I guess even back then, with such primitive technology, they were using graphics to build the hype. Another case where, notwithstanding Wii, not much has changed.

Also, there was this, supposedly the first mention of Nintendo in the states back in 1955 (although I find it hard to believe as the actual "first mention" as I dont see how you'd pin down such a thing...)

From the 'Patent Notice' section of the NY Times, Oct 8, 1955

Nintendo_1955_NYTimes.jpg

Both items courtesy the Neogaf

Also some neogaffer mocked this up in the thread, worth a chuckle

2hx9jkj.jpg

This is actually one of the best and most entertaining (in a positive way) console threads I have ever seen.

It is really interesting to go back and see how these old efforts and marketing campaigns look today.

I am surprised too that they used the words "3D, DoF," and "actual shadows". It makes me curious what kind of effects they used as examples for these "advanced" graphical features of the time.

In general it is like reading a today's ad. Its like Sony, MS and Nintendo put together (performance, innovation, motion sensing and Aibo?)

Unfortunately for Nintendo though ROB came, passed and nobody noticed. Funny also that the failed power glove is actually the concept behind the Wiimote that made the Wii so successful.

This is actually one of the best and most entertaining (in a positive way) console threads I have ever seen.

It is really interesting to go back and see how these old efforts and marketing campaigns look today.

I am surprised too that they used the words "3D, DoF," and "actual shadows". It makes me curious what kind of effects they used as examples for these "advanced" graphical features of the time.

In general it is like reading a today's ad. Its like Sony, MS and Nintendo put together (performance, innovation, motion sensing and Aibo?)

Unfortunately for Nintendo though ROB came, passed and nobody noticed. Funny also that the failed power glove is actually the concept behind the Wiimote that made the Wii so successful.

I've heard that ROB was mostly a trojan horse to get the NES into stores. Retailer at that time were reluctant to stock a video game console after the crash. However ROB gave it that toy angle to get it's foot in the door, and the rest is history.

I thought the Power Glove was Mattel's idea?

Also, I lol'd at the Patcher comment.

Regardless of who came up with the idea it is the same concept that was used in the original NES.

It is one of these examples where some concepts may fail or succeed depending on when and how they are implemented.

Sega for example was another company that was coming up with ideas that were bad ideas or not well received at the time but essential today.

Wow, that Pachter comment is really eye opening to the types of casual racism that existed during that period. It looks even more ridiculous today considering Asian economies have been kicking ass for well over three decades, and have moved from producing cheap goods to complex items like microchips and cars.

That comment was made up?

Comment may have been made up, but it was quite commonplace thinking among all western countries.

In the 60's and 70's Japan was basically the Taiwan of the 80's and 90's or the China of the 90's and 2000's.

Except being still fairly close to the end of WW II, there was still quite a bit of racial denigration, despite the fact that some segments of Western Society was warming up to the Japanese...

There was also much greater tolerance of freedom of speech and less focus on being "Politically Correct."

Regards,
SB

Back