The Internet was Right: Microsoft admits X360 flaws

Sis

mental_v-sync=off;
Veteran
Well, consider me surprised but not shocked:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3866&Itemid=2

Microsoft spokesperson said:
Yes, it is true. As part of our standard and ongoing process of analyzing repair data, we recently noticed a higher than usual number of units coming in for repair.

I wonder how high the actual defect rate is for the early consoles? As high as 50%, which some of the rumors put it at?

(This is related to the warranty thread, but MS admitting a problem is news worthy enough for its own thread, IMO.)

I wonder how high the actual defect rate is for the early consoles? As high as 50%, which some of the rumors put it at?

(This is related to the warranty thread, but MS admitting a problem is news worthy enough for its own thread, IMO.)

I am pretty sure that's nowhere near 50%, not even close.

I am pretty sure that's nowhere near 50%, not even close.
Yeah, I was being a bit silly with that number (but if the Internet was right once... :) ). If the number hits closer to 10, even 15%, we're still talking huge numbers of returned consoles, anywhere from 200,000-300,000, presuming 2 million units produced before January 1st.

Ironically, the memory shortage perhaps helped Microsoft avoid further losses by limiting the number of consoles produced during that time period.

It could also be that MS chose to use memory that would have otherwise been discarded in order to make more consoles, so the memory could still be at the crux of the hardware issues. Unless they get more specific elsewhere on what the issues were?

Last edited by a moderator:
It could also be that MS chose to use memory that would have otherwise been discarded in order to make more consoles. So the memory could still be at the crux of the hardware issues. Unless they get more specific elsewhere on what the issues were?
As I wrote that comment, I thought this exact thing. We'll probably never know, but it's an interesting theory...

the question is after theyve repaired them + sent them back, does that count as shipping it twice?
technically i can see it does so i assume they would be. :LOL:
ms have shipped 5/6million 360 (how theyve gonna ship 4/5 million in the next 6 weeks (to reach 10million) is a bit beyond me, perhaps hire a freighter + stick 4 million on it ship them over to africa is about the only way i can think of)
anyways of the 5/6 million shipped, how many were actually sold?

the question is after theyve repaired them + sent them back, does that count as shipping it twice?
technically i can see it does so i assume they would be. :LOL:
ms have shipped 5/6million 360 (how theyve gonna ship 4/5 million in the next 6 weeks (to reach 10million) is a bit beyond me, perhaps hire a freighter + stick 4 million on it ship them over to africa is about the only way i can think of)
anyways of the 5/6 million shipped, how many were actually sold?

Holy hijack/derail Batman!

Holy hijack/derail Batman!
No kidding. Some people simply cannot help but try to put a negative spin on things.

Mistakes happen. Ultimately, what's important is how the mistakes are handled. It seems like MS is trying to do the right thing.

Well, I have a launch unit and it is still humming along nicely.

But then again, I don't use it 50 hours a week either. ;)

When the applauding is all done, just remember to say thanks that Microsoft doesn't build motorcycles.

Since there doesn't really seem to be a "problem" specified, nor a specific part that is redesigned, not sure what this "proves".

"Overheating" seems to be the most common complaint, but even that is pretty vague. What part is overheating? Why haven't they redesigned the cooling system or some part of it then?

In short, I say the internet was WRONG. And I'm not going to change my mind because of more people on the internet.

I think the 360 is kind of fragile, but probably because it's so high tech and the launch was pushed to a tight deadline.

I also think there's an element of public opinion. Nintendo is always said to "build systems like tanks" yet the DS semingly has about a 50% cracked hinge rate. And that's a cartridge system! You have to work to mess up a cart based system. But Nintendo has a loyal fanbase so it kind of got pushed under the bridge on gasp, the internet. I mean the problem was reported on, but not near to the degree of microsofts problems.
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo is always said to "build systems like tanks" yet the DS semingly has about a 50% cracked hinge rate.

Kinda offtopic but this is something I can't let go, where on earth did you get this info from? :LOL:

VERY nice selective quote!
You forgot to add the rest though.

Upon further investigation, it was further discovered that the bulk of the units were isolated to a group that was part of the initial manufacturing run of the console.

That's alright though, keep going on about your biased ways. I hope to see the same from you should either the Wii or PS3 experience problems.

can't edit, but I'd also like to add, at least they've always offered the option of repair. Unlike what I got with my PS2 until well, you know, the whole lawsuit and all. Up to that point, I was told there was NO defect rate, nice.

sad thing is, it will always seem like there's more defective systems than there really are. The people that have problems scream, shout, and throw their hands in the air. Those that have working systems just play away.

http://blogs.ign.com/Gerry-IGN/2006/09/07/30276/

lowerres_1157654199.jpg

Joking aside, this 360 death brings us well past the 50% failure rate for launch units, and that’s based upon a rather sizable pool of consoles at IGN. Microsoft has a problem on their hands whether they’re willing to admit it or not, and I say it’s high time they stop denying the issue and throwing around that 3% figure. Launch 360s don’t live past a year, even under relatively light use, and I’m certain Microsoft is aware of this fact based upon returns.

Back