The International Grading System Cheat Sheet

Discussion in 'Industry Jobs' started by RussSchultz, Dec 28, 2007.

1. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

For those of us ignorant of British educational systems, what is "1st class" or "2:1 degree"?

MOD EDIT:

It was pointed out to us that B3D is an international resource, as indeed it is. And as such it would be useful to have the below discussion, which was wandering well OT for a given job posting, be its own thread so interested folks could use it as a reference going forward for all job listings in a "foreign" (to the potential applicant) country.

So it was split off into its own thread.

We will moderate it, however, and prune it if it gets too far off course or general kibbitzing happens.

2. Davros

Legend

Degree classification

First-class honours (often called a 'first' and awarded when a student obtains an overall mark of over 70%)
    Second-class honours, Upper Division (written 2 i or 2:1 and pronounced; 'two one')
    Second-class honours, Lower Division (written 2 ii or 2:2 and pronounced; 'two two')
    Third-class honours
    Pass or ordinary degree

3. RussSchultz

Veteran

Ahhh.

So, I guess in the US, we'd refer to it as a 'A' average or 'B' average.

4. Nite_Hawk

Veteran

Sounds about right, though quite different from our system. From what little I just read, it appears that most employers only really distinguish between 2:1s 2:2s, so it's probably something like the 3.0 GPA that a lot of employers use as an HR screening here.

Nite_Hawk

5. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    I know we aren't supposed to post here but...

Do US grades run from 1 (lowest) to 7 (highest) with 4 being a "pass" score? If so, based on my Aussie UNI experience, then I'd think a 1st class degree would need a GPA of > 6.

6. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

NA is mostly on a 4 point scale. 0 being a fail, 1 being a pass.

7. RussSchultz

Veteran

0=F
    1=D
    2=C
    3=B
    4=A

Where F is fail, and 'C' is 'average'.
    (Or in grad school, where 'c' is failing, strangely)

I think our similar cutoff for what Simon's post listed is a '3.0' (i.e. 'high B' average)

8. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    The 1..7 scale in Aus' is meant to be a bell curve so 7s are meant to be rare.

9. Nite_Hawk

Veteran

The Bell curve used to be more popular in the US. It is still sometimes used on a per-class basis, but often times the professor will use some other method (either weighted averages or simply a straight percentage grading system). An individual's GPA is thus somewhat complex as it is the average of the scores for all classes taken (sometimes including classes that don't specifically count toward the major, which students will use to "pad" their GPA). Sometimes employers here will ask for both a general GPA and a major specific GPA to get a better idea of a student's performance in their area of expertise.

Nite_Hawk

10. NovemberMike

Regular

Complex is not quite the word. In my last semester, I don't think I listened to a single lecture in my computer engineering course, didn't study at all for the tests and, like half the class, got an A. In my Com Sci class I pulled multiple all nighters, was at every lab/lecture and I got an A-. And the professor asked me to TA the class this semester because I was in the top 4 students out of 150 as far as grades went in that class.