The HDTV Showdown.

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
Well, I finally decided to get with the times and purchase an HDTV. I like to be fashionably late.

I'm thinking 40 inches is a nice size, and I've seemed to have narrowed my search down to two models. A Samsung and a Sony Bravia. Problem is, I don't know which one would be better suited for my needs. I'd like to designate a new television to gaming, actually put my 360 to use.

The two models I'm debating over are as follows:

The Bravia:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666077651

The Samsung:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN40C500F3FXZA

A lot of people I've talked to have raved about the quality of a Samsung television, and I must admit it is pretty nifty, for I use a Samsung computer monitor. But, a few things threw me about the Samsung. It appears to only have 1 HDMI output, which could pose to be problematic and the Sony sports 4. Albeit, both televisions are both only 60 hertz, the Sony claims to have a Dynamic Contrast Ratio of 140,000:1 while the Samsung's is 70,000:1.

Which is a wiser buy?

Thanks guys-

Dresden

If you have a receiver, one HDMI is not a problem, but if you don't it'll be a pain when say you want to add Bluray player or other devices down the road. So I would go with Sony. I think 3 HDMI is the minimum for today needs.

The Sony will be better, but both of those TVs will be garbage for gaming. My recommendation to you would be to save up more money and get a better TV. I don't know how if 40" is a hard limit, but for games you can't really beat plasma. LCD only really becomes competitive at the very top end > $2000, below this price plasma nearly always delivers better bang for buck.

I would get this Samsung if you are willing to wait and save up a bit of money and go bigger, if you don't want to wait then you could check out this Panasonic. Unless you are putting the TV in a bay window or a room with a lot of ambient light (I had this problem and had to go for LCD) then the Panasonic plasma is a much better buy as it has 600Hz and a 10µs response time which makes it awesome for gaming and it has 3 HDMI inputs so no need to spend money on a splitter or receiver straight away.

Out of those two I would take the Sony. 1 HDMI is a serious no go. I'm sure it's a good TV for gaming despite the previous post and definitely a lot better value than some higher end model. If the size is big enough for you, then go for it.

Back