The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think January 2009?
I can see it being several months later yes.

I am over-exaggerating though, I think GT4 was 4 months after the Japanese release (in Europe - 3 months for the US).

It's not like there's loads of Japanese text to "localise" like Final Fantasy.

Raytraced lighting doesn't mean much in itself. If they've got RT shadows, that might be something of worth. All realtime 6 iteration raytraced global illumination... Really, what we have here is a few buzz phrases and no explanations, so we can't make anything of it.

Yes Shifty, and it seem to be for a in-game showtime and not for in-game playtime…

From the same IGN article: "While the in-race lighting won't be quite as nice, expect this to be the best looking racing game you've ever seen."

I expect they change the rearview and side-view mirror… this it's not acceptable for a game like GT…

IGN just previewed GT5.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/813/813424p1.html

They are using HDR + Raytracing on that pitsop scenes... ...in 1080p. Incredible.

But only the pitstop scene has this? :???:

I expect they change the rearview and side-view mirror… this it's not acceptable for a game like GT…

They are making sacrifices to get the perfomance they want at 1080p but the side/rear-mirror detail sacrifice is not worth it. It looks horrible, even last-gen racers had far better side/rear-mirror reflections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I'd reckon a car selection screen and such could use this. They've done stuff like this before, having fully rendered rims in GT3 and 4 in this view.

I could see interesting possibilities here for photomode also - imagine fully raytraced photo-mode shots. :p

Does that IGN article contain any new info? If that "ray-tracing" part is not straight from SCEA PR it's a pure BS IGN could insert there, the Famitsu interview only mentioned HDR seen in fluorescent lights of the pits reflected on a car.

They are making sacrifices to get the perfomance they want at 1080p but the side/rear-mirror detail sacrifice is not worth it. It looks horrible, even last-gen racers had far better side/rear-mirror reflections.
considering they say the rear/side mirrors will be fully functional and that theres still LOTS of time for them to touch the game up, i'm guessing it will improve.

That's a rather hasty and unjustifiably pessemistic conclusion you jumped to there...

Well, certainly the game is still under heavy development. If I were to give the pictures a caption from Polyphony, it'd probably be something like "Here's where were at right now. It's looking great and we're proud to show it off, but there's definitely a lot of work to be done; hopefully you can get a better idea of where we're taking things in the near future."

Of course I could be dead wrong. Just my interpretation of these WIP shots. ;)

But only the pitstop scene has this? :???:

that is just silly coming from you considering the game has a long time to go yet and at the moment their priorities is just to get the cars looking good.

that is just silly coming from you considering the game has a long time to go yet and at the moment their priorities is just to get the cars looking good.

I hope that the final build of the game will have better looking side/rear-view mirrors. But didn't GT:HD demo have better looking side/rear-view mirrors, why worse now then?

That's a rather hasty and unjustifiably pessemistic conclusion you jumped to there...

But the mirror reflection quality is worse than their previous games. And yes it still has some time left for development. And it may be that they lowered the reflection quality to have smooth perfomance for the demonstration and will make it better for final with tweaking and optimisations. :)

Well, certainly the game is still under heavy development. If I were to give the pictures a caption from Polyphony, it'd probably be something like "Here's where were at right now. It's looking great and we're proud to show it off, but there's definitely a lot of work to be done; hopefully you can get a better idea of where we're taking things in the near future."
I think that's the caption to every pre-release screenshot of every game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back