The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on my way to get the F40 now to be able to complete my last race in S-series. The Tuned Elise 190 (not the 111) seems to be the best car for all S-races its eligible for. Very fun to drive also.

I was just about to ask you, as I'm having quite a lot of difficulties completing the PP700 races at Fujii Speedring and Suzuka. Have been getting good results with the tuned Elise 111R so far, but just can't get it right on those tracks. Thinking more power would help, I tuned the Nissan GT-R, but fair far worse with that one. :cry: Did you use the tuned Elise 190 for those races?

As for AI:
I agree to an extend that the AI is quite basic, but not necessarily scripted, as I've noticed the same scenario happen ahead in the grid multiple times, but only if you repeat the race without quitting. If you completly restart the race from the Home screen, you will have slight variations in the cars within the grid, making for a different race.

I think the AI is good enough. They don't overtake perfect, but good enough. Faster cars will eventually end up ahead of slower ones etc.

One thing I find very annoying though and has made completing the S event rather difficult is the AI. The only way to overtake the AI in the PP700 challenges are by undercutting them in the corners - if you don't get it completly right though, the AI usually crashes into you from behind and *YOU* get the penalty for collision. Or they push you off the track in the corner because your brakes are better - you lose control and then get a penalty for shortcutting (which is ironic since at that point I'm regaining control having just lost 4 positions and a lot of speed AND have to wait 5 seconds...). :rolleyes:

Same in online mode:
I've been pushed off the track numerous times while being up in 1st place in my last lap and am the one that spins out of control and gets punished for leaving the track (short-cutting). IMO - the penalty system would work better if the car that is behind that gets penalised if it collides with a car. Especially because it's so easy to push someone of the track and in most cases ruin it for him. Doesn't take more than a gentle push in the right corner...

Well, in the UK GT5:p is the fastest selling PS3 game to date and the first to go straight to the top of the multiplatform chart.

What's even more interesting about that is the charts only count the blu-ray release not those that downloaded it on PSN.

In relation to Phils post, the penalty system is utter crap, I have been rammed and collided with by the AI and it's always me who gets penalised. It's the single most annoying thing about the game.

I haven't had any such problems, but of course it's possible that I'm just too fast. ;)

Yes, I used the Elise 190 Tuned for all the S-class races that didn't require a specific car. I did try the first race with an F430, but after I gained 3rd position I noticed in my splits that I couldn't catch up with the Elise, which was driving just as fast as I was. That's not likely to happen unless the car the AI is driving is a lot faster than me, so I took a hint. ;)

So the cheaper tuned Elise is actually faster?

I've been toiling away with the 111R and it's twitchyness for days now :LOL:

It seems to be the faster car when the AI is driving it, and I haven't been beaten by it online either. That could be me though - I haven't tested both cars yet. Once I get the F40 I will start working on getting the rest of the cars and compare those two as well.

I took Arwins advice (i too used the 430 initially) and indeed the cheaper Elise is the way to go! (I recommend the go faster orange colour!!). Needed a bit of experimenting on the tuning front (which i think is superb btw! and adds hugely). The 1st race in this class (630 pp), i had THE best race so far with a last gasp final straight victory! (Saved the replay to show the grandkids!!) over the A.I Elise . I know ive had just the one race in this class but the A.I seems 2 b a notch above the 1st 3 classes! I found that 1st race totally exhilarating!! Its like a whole new ballgame once the 4th class is unlocked.

I got it too over the weekend.
So far did all the C and B class races and a couple of the A class races.
It is just me, or could it be that it's not possible to win all the special event races (where you have to drive with a specified car, like the Suzuki Cappucino, or the GT-R)?

I love the game so far. Only drove in professional mode, haven't tried standard mode yet.

Does anybody know any review of the handling and physics from respectable car enthusiast magazines?

Now that I think about it, for a thread of +2100 posts, isn't it strange that there is no mention of any review?
I mean, people in general are very quick to post reviews for exclusive games (different people depending on positivity of the review :) ).

Weird...

It is just me, or could it be that it's not possible to win all the special event races (where you have to drive with a specified car, like the Suzuki Cappucino, or the GT-R)?

I love the game so far. Only drove in professional mode, haven't tried standard mode yet.
Yes, either you have to draft people to get a quicker lap or just cheat and don't bother slowing down round any corners with a wall close to it.

You only get penalties if you hit certain parts of the wall, but if you are going as fast as you can at those points normally you will miss the "sweet spot" and will get a valid lap.

Yes, either you have to draft people to get a quicker lap or just cheat and don't bother slowing down round any corners with a wall close to it.

You only get penalties if you hit certain parts of the wall, but if you are going as fast as you can at those points normally you will miss the "sweet spot" and will get a valid lap.

I did try the wall hitting, I never got a penalty so far.
I got a silver medal with the cappucino in C class just by getting a speed boost because another car bumped me in the back a couple of times.
In the other races I got close to silver, but never got it.

Oh well, I'll just have to try harder.

You can do all of them, without a wheel its kinda hard and it requires luck on some races (i was 0,212 seconds away f rom gold to finish up the lame cappucino events, but gaaah!!!).

In some of the races, i dont think you can get the gold time without drafting seriously and\or wallriding, and since drafting requires luck (as your car has 3x less the hp than the others out there, you need to get passed by just the right car, so that you can keep up with it, as its hopeless to try to stay behind most of the 200-300hp mid-size cars, in your 60hp lawnmower).

I did try the wall hitting, I never got a penalty so far.
I got a silver medal with the cappucino in C class just by getting a speed boost because another car bumped me in the back a couple of times.
In the other races I got close to silver, but never got it.

Oh well, I'll just have to try harder.

I was pretty sure there were no penalties in C, B, A class races anymore. At least I never got one despite hitting walls/cars plenty of times. Maybe I was not driving bad enough.

Class C penalties are certainly in. But I am not against it. It punishes bad driving. As for the AI rear ending you, that seems to never happen to me. Maybe people expereincing it are playing the game differently. Actually I was pretty sure getting rear ended is not a penalty, as long as you don't hit anything else.

Does anybody know any review of the handling and physics from respectable car enthusiast magazines?

I have never heard of a review of specifically on handling and physics, most car magazines just kind of "recommend" certain racing games without actually reviewing them in the traditional sense.

I have a Car magazine somewhere in the basement where they had found some GT4 geek with a good laptime on nurburgring in a Z350, they wrote about him and the game for a short while, then they took him down to nurburgring and let him drive the car in real life to compare. He was 2,5 minutes or so behind his GT4 time with the same stock setup,in the interview after, t he geek talked about how corners could be talking faster in the game than real life blah blah blah.

But thats the only thing ive seen aside from Jeremy Clarksons GT4 review.

For GT5P i haven't seen anything. Then again, neither Clarksons movie clip nor the car magazine article gave anything of value aside from both drivers pointing out that GT4 was faster and that in real life you might crash and die, which means that its impossible to precicely compare the handling unless we would get a pro- racing driver and a bunch of cars, and a propably bunch of different sims (to get some comparisons). T

he reason i would compare it to other sims, is that the handling and driving models in all of these games are usually very very similar, with different values being used for grip etc, but i think most of them all have very similar ways to calculate whats happends (because its physics after all, and thats just math), so while most sims seem consistent with real life (but usually faster) if you would do a quick test, you'd need the different sims to really try to pinpoint what is better in one game over the other.

Now that I think about it, for a thread of +2100 posts, isn't it strange that there is no mention of any review?
I mean, people in general are very quick to post reviews for exclusive games (different people depending on positivity of the review :) ).

Weird...

Eurogamer has a review, 8/10, for me it´s a 10/10. Taking 2 points of a game like this where the core part is so incredible seems wrong. And it hints at one of problems with games like this. How to rate a game that, on papar, has been done 4 times before.

Yes, I used the Elise 190 Tuned for all the S-class races that didn't require a specific car. I did try the first race with an F430, but after I gained 3rd position I noticed in my splits that I couldn't catch up with the Elise, which was driving just as fast as I was. That's not likely to happen unless the car the AI is driving is a lot faster than me, so I took a hint. ;)

Thanks. Was able to complete it with the tuned Elise 111R - seems speed (power) was more important than downforce as I had it at first. Result is quicker on the straights and with a few tries I was able to find ways past the AI without getting penalised for them colliding with me! ;)

Completed now event S with most gold as well. Excellent. What a pitty the best you unlock is *another* GT-R concept... Duh. :rolleyes:

I really can't wait for the next online update. Racing against buddies is what's next on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back