The Grinder & Gladiator A.D - Two new Wii exclusives from High Voltage

I think its safe to say that almost no Wii 3rd party developers have been putting an ounce of effort into their garbage. When a no name license game developer like High Voltage can rise up and make their mark, while Capcom churns out crap like Dead Rising, that's just embarrassing.

Here's hoping The Conduit actually succeeds on the platform. Capcom's churning out what it is for a reason: this generation Capcom is anything but stupid.

When a no name license game developer like High Voltage can rise up and make their mark, while Capcom churns out crap like Dead Rising, that's just embarrassing.

To their credit, Cavia has done remarkably well making Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles look as good as it is. Of course, High Voltage just raised the bar in terms of what to expect in game engine performance.

Hopefully more prominent developers will follow suit. People keep forgetting just because TEV is no programable shaders doesn't mean it can't pull off some impressive tricks.

Sure, these games go over well with us, the hardcore audience, but I wonder if the Wii audience actually wants them.

I'm terribly interested in The Conduits sales. They will tell us a lot regarding that exact question.

Here's hoping The Conduit actually succeeds on the platform. Capcom's churning out what it is for a reason: this generation Capcom is anything but stupid.

IMO refusing to release a real new Resident Evil game on Wii is pretty stupid.

Me too. So far it doesn't seem like Mad World or House of the Dead sold very well.

On rails shooters and odd off beat fighting games don't really strike me as big games for the "hardcore gamer". Hopefully The Conduit will be as good as its hyped up to be and will get plenty of advertising, then it'll be very interesting to see how it sells.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. So far it doesn't seem like Mad World or House of the Dead sold very well.
House of the Dead 2&3 Return sold quite well, as did Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. You can't blame Overkill's failure on the unpopularity of zombie rail-shooters on the Wii.

I wish people would stop calling them on-rails shooters. Star Fox is an on-rails shooter. HOTD and Umbrella Chronicles are Light Gun games. In on-rails shooters, you can still have a degree of control over your characters. You can dodge, weave through enemies fire, and many other ways to interact with your character. A light gun game only allows you to shoot or be shot.

I wish people would stop calling them on-rails shooters. Star Fox is an on-rails shooter. HOTD and Umbrella Chronicles are Light Gun games. In on-rails shooters, you can still have a degree of control over your characters. You can dodge, weave through enemies fire, and many other ways to interact with your character. A light gun game only allows you to shoot or be shot.
Modern consoles don't use light guns, so it would also be wrong to call them light gun games. And by your definition of an "on-rails shooter," Umbrella Chronicles qualifies because you do dodge and shift perspective. Time Crisis games even let you take cover instead of just shooting or being shot.

Just use descriptive modifiers like, "Star Fox is an on-rails flying shooter," or "House of the Dead is an arcade-style on-rails gun shooter." Or better yet, determine what kind of on-rails shooter is being discussed by the context. There's no confusing Star Fox for Virtua Cop.

IMO refusing to release a real new Resident Evil game on Wii is pretty stupid.

Yes, but, and I mean minimal offense, but what do you know? Capcom have the numbers, they have the market research, they're the ones making decisions. They've been the smartest 3rd party this generation, no contest.

They're certainly not doing it to spite anyone, they're doing what they believe makes the best business sense.

Modern consoles don't use light guns, so it would also be wrong to call them light gun games. And by your definition of an "on-rails shooter," Umbrella Chronicles qualifies because you do dodge and shift perspective. Time Crisis games even let you take cover instead of just shooting or being shot.

Just use descriptive modifiers like, "Star Fox is an on-rails flying shooter," or "House of the Dead is an arcade-style on-rails gun shooter." Or better yet, determine what kind of on-rails shooter is being discussed by the context. There's no confusing Star Fox for Virtua Cop.

You got me on the light gun part.

It's not just dodging, but seeing your character there while still having more control over their movement just feels very different. You'll be dodging while you fight back.

I definitely agree with descriptive modifiers, though.

Yes, but, and I mean minimal offense, but what do you know? Capcom have the numbers, they have the market research, they're the ones making decisions. They've been the smartest 3rd party this generation, no contest.

Resident Evil 4 far outsold Umbrella Chronicles, and RE4 was readily available on the GC, yet they choose to make another Umbrella game.

They've outsourced Dead Rising to an incompetent company.

Capcom then decided to bring over the GC RE1 and 0 charging them separately for 30 bucks each with NO enhancements whatsoever (the Nintendo NPC games actually have new controls, improved graphics, new levels, and other tweaks) to a console that can already play these games.

Ok, that last one is just Capcom being a douche. That's really free money to them. "Port" over existing games hoping people don't know they're readily available to play to make extra money is the only smart business move I see. They've basically pissed off every Wii fan with these moves and you know what? Dark Side Chronicles could very well fail in sales, and I don't know how that'll make Capcom more money.

They're certainly not doing it to spite anyone, they're doing what they believe makes the best business sense.

I know that a port of RE4 from GC sold nearly 1.8 million copies while an original "light gun" RE game (with a bigger Wii userbase) sold about 1 million.

I'm not just going to assume that Capcom must be making all the right decisions despite evidence to the contrary because "they have the market research and make the decisions". That would be silly.

I'm not just going to assume that Capcom must be making all the right decisions despite evidence to the contrary because "they have the market research and make the decisions". That would be silly.

It's also silly to assume that you know more about the gaming market than Capcom does. Maybe they are wrong, but forum analysis isn't going to point that out, no.

I'm not assuming anything of the sort.. I'm giving my opinion that based on sales data a full on Resident Evil sequel on Wii would be a better choice then more "light gun" games. If you disagree then no problem, though I'd hope it was based on something a little bit more substantial then 'they must be right because they're Capcom'.

I'm not assuming anything of the sort.. I'm giving my opinion that based on sales data a full on Resident Evil sequal on Wii would be a better choice then more "light gun" games. If you disagree then no problem, though I'd hope it was based on something a little bit more substantial then 'they must be right because they're Capcom'.

Well, it boils down to that. But not just because they're capcom, but because Capcom has been the smartest 3rd party developer this generation, except maybe for Activision. They certainly know what an Wii RE game would cost to make and they probably have better forecasts of how many copies it would sell than any of us. There are lots of reasons why one game might have better ROI than the other. One thing I'm sure of is that Capcom doesn't hate money, so that's not why they're doing it. If we were talking about, say, SE, then you might have a stronger case about hating money.

It has no way to output HD AFAIK. It could render oversized and downsample, like CON on PS2. FFX was the worst experience I ever had with texture shimmer, thanks to noisy grass textures and playing CON before hand!

Back