The Golf Club (Multiplatform)

Those shadows are fugly. Surely they can afford higher res and faster updates on a golf game.

http://gamingbolt.com/hb-studios-ex...-resource-intensive-was-not-using-updated-sdk

According to HB Studios, The Golf Club runs at 1080p on the PlayStation 4 and 720p on the Xbox One. GamingBolt asked HB Studios the reason why The Golf Club, which does not seem to be a resource intensive game, is running at that resolution on the latter?

“It’s is actually a lot more resource intensive than you’d think. The world is 2km’s square and everything within that has physics colliders attached to it, we also have a full cloud and atmospheric lighting system not just a painted sky box like most games. Think about it this way, each blade of grass needs to react as you’d expect, each branch on a tree needs to react like you’d expect when a ball hits it,” HB Studios said in a statement issued to GamingBolt.

“The other problem we have is that we don’t define the maps, like most games. The users create them! This means that they could have 90% of their 2km square as water. Water is extremely expensive to recreate, there’s a lot of maths in the getting the right amount of reflection, etc.”

I'm pretty sure if they had the XB1 June update, I don't see XB1 resolving all what's needed on achieving parity with PS4. Especially going from 720p to 1080p... seems (is) very unlikely. Other than resolution, I wonder what else got pared back on the XB1 version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the idea of user created maps. That's definitely the way to go in my book. Hopefully the GUI for that side it is of high quality.

http://gamingbolt.com/hb-studios-ex...-resource-intensive-was-not-using-updated-sdk

I'm pretty sure if they had the XB1 June update, I don't see XB1 resolving all what's needed on achieving parity with PS4. Especially going from 720p to 1080p... seems (is) very unlikely. Other than resolution, I wonder what else got pared back on the XB1 version.

Probably they are just a small team and dont really do any in depth ESRAM optimizing on X1, just shove out a quick n easy 720 port. What would be called a "lazy developer" last gen :D

I guess I'll add it to my resolution list for X1 though, since it seems to be a real game people actually play(ed). Previously I had rejected it as too niche/small time/indie. Which it's still borderline, but whatever.

Well seeing that the xbox one version is only 720 I wouldnt expect anything else pared back at all. It takes less gpu resources to shade the image since there are far less pixels on screen. I dont really see this game causing any alu bottlenecks on the xbox one.

Back