The General State of Gaming NFTs in 2022 *spawn*

Ok, but verifying ownership of an item through smart contracts is very different from an online game in which every single step of the server-side code is hitching a ride in the blockchain... What I don't see is the advantage of the later.

The game is merely a blockchain explorer, like etherscan.io, that only consults what each wallet has and allows the game engine to unlock it for that user.

This step does not involve any added cost or latency (which would be felt only at starting up the game).

The step-by-step correlation does not happen even on a regular game with a local database. In this proposed mechanism, only the events worth being recorded (unlocking a rare collectible) would be written on the database. In this case, only the NFT items you would collect would trigger a transaction to the blockchain.

Btw is there an nft game where it is a proper video game?

I mean.. With proper gameplay, story, music, and so on?

The few I've known are pretty barebones.

It would be nice if something like.... diablo with its auction house. Or like destiny 2 but you can trade the nft items and cash out.

That is the wrong way to see this. NFT is not a game engine. See my post above.

That is the wrong way to see this. NFT is not a game engine. See my post above.

But I was not looking for nft game engine.

I was looking for nft game.

Like... If I was looking for RMT game, or gambling game, etc.

Hmm how to correctly phrase this....

I'm looking for a game, with any engine, doesn't matter. That incorporated NFT as part of the gameplay. And that game is a proper video game with fun and engaging gameplay. Interesting story. Beautiful music.

Something like destiny 2, HALO infinite, final fantasy XV, etc but the items I get are NFT and I can trade/sell that NFT

But I was not looking for nft game engine.

I was looking for nft game.

Like... If I was looking for RMT game, or gambling game, etc.

Hmm how to correctly phrase this....

I'm looking for a game, with any engine, doesn't matter. That incorporated NFT as part of the gameplay. And that game is a proper video game with fun and engaging gameplay. Interesting story. Beautiful music.

Something like destiny 2, HALO infinite, final fantasy XV, etc but the items I get are NFT and I can trade/sell that NFT

AAA games with NFT is what ubisoft and others announced they would be making. None have released yet.

The most popular one today is Axie Infinity with around 3 million daily players.

https://axieinfinity.com/

The advantage of NFTs for gamers is their tradability. Some people have more time and some have more money. People with time can earn NFTs and sell them to people with money. People with money can buy NFTs and trade them to people who have even more money. :)

The problem with NFTs in games is persistence. Why have an NFT in Assassin's Creed Valhalla for a special item when a few years down the road no one will care about AC:V?

One solution I've thought of is to have an NFT trading market where you can trade a Tier 1 AC:V NFT for a Tier 1 Far Cry 7 NFT. That way you can use old NFTs in new games.

Whether or not this is better than the situation now where rare items can only be earned through playing is debatable, but as someone with more money than time, I can appreciate that I could buy some super amazing looking Spartan armor in Halo without having to play a gazillion hours to earn it.

The advantage of NFTs for gamers is their tradability. Some people have more time and some have more money. People with time can earn NFTs and sell them to people with money. People with money can buy NFTs and trade them to people who have even more money. :)

Where the economics of NFTs fall down is that if something (any NFT) is in demand, it makes no sense for a creator to create just one and sell it to one person who can sell it on to one other person. If you're creating content that is in demand, you want to make it as widely available as possible. If the NFTs are just mild variants of something that is in demand then they are devalued to begin with so finding someone to buy something is going to be that much harder when they can just buy an original variant.

Fundamentally, the economics is based on base appeal.

Where the economics of NFTs fall down is that if something (any NFT) is in demand, it makes no sense for a creator to create just one and sell it to one person who can sell it on to one other person. If you're creating content that is in demand, you want to make it as widely available as possible.

The creator type that you are referring to seems to be the one whose economic benefits from mass reproduction (youtube, comic books). The other type of creator, the classical artist, makes one piece of art and sells it. With NFT he can win a % of every following sale.

So I don't think NFT is bounded by any type of constraints or even just "art". It can literally do whatever people want them to do.

There are news that the new Alfa Romeo car will register their true mileage as an NFT, preventing adulteration in following sales. It can be anything, really.

AAA games with NFT is what ubisoft and others announced they would be making. None have released yet.

The most popular one today is Axie Infinity with around 3 million daily players.

https://axieinfinity.com/

I've tried axia infinity. its waaaaaaaaay too complicated. and this is coming from Destiny 1 and 2 veteran, a game with overly complicated UX for its items.
but then just a few days ago i tried Call of Duty mobile, and Mobile Legends..... whoa.. their UX are way more complicated!

So i guess axie infinity is easy to enter for kids and mobile phone gamers, as they are already accustomed to confusingly complicated UX.

The problem with NFTs in games is persistence. Why have an NFT in Assassin's Creed Valhalla for a special item when a few years down the road no one will care about AC:V?

One solution I've thought of is to have an NFT trading market where you can trade a Tier 1 AC:V NFT for a Tier 1 Far Cry 7 NFT. That way you can use old NFTs in new games.

Whether or not this is better than the situation now where rare items can only be earned through playing is debatable, but as someone with more money than time, I can appreciate that I could buy some super amazing looking Spartan armor in Halo without having to play a gazillion hours to earn it.

and I'm thankful to people like you that spend money for those kinds of stuff, as it does provide funds to the developer with minimum work hours (compared to new mission, for example). and I'm hating the devs for poisoning the basic game with that kind of stuff that targets everyone (especially kids!) instead of just the "whales".

as for "persistence". You got a nice point there. If we use traditional database, we cant be sure the stuff we have stays there many years later. What if the published pulled the server in just a few years?

But with NFT, as we have the "certificate" for the precious items, it doesn't matter if the game server goes poof. We still have the NFT "certificate". Although I'm pretty sure the price of the NFT will change considerably as the game server got shut down.

Upside: it makes our NFT even rarer
downside: it makes our NFT truly a glorified certificate with nothing attached to it.

There's been games that have facilitated this for I guess now technically "decades" ago.

Virtual "game" (I use this in quotes because whether or not some of these would be classified as games would be debatable) items had already been sold for figures even in the millions before the current NFT trend.

Apparently Steam doesnt allow NFT's on their platform, so dont expect a game with those to appear there

This is the thing about the whole "NFT thing" going on, debating things like the technical merits is kind of missing the pragmatic side.

Steam/Valve for example already has for years now it's own trading market between users for it's games and platform that it derives revenue from. Whether or not they would get involved in "NFTs" is kind of immaterial in that sense.

The term "NFT" in practice essentially mainly is a marketing term, and it has connotations for good or bad depending on the viewpoint which can lead to positive or negative results if a company chooses to involve itself.

An update on Ubisoft Quartz, their in-game NFT initiative. The first game they implemented them in, Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, is now end of service and is not receiving any more updates. A mere 4 months after the NFTs were announced and sold they are now essentially worthless.

Ubisoft's response? "You now own a piece of the game and left your mark in its history"

Ugh. That's the sort of publisher attitude that is going to kill NFTs in gaming. They need to make NFTs transferable between games somehow and then I think they can be viable. I actually like the idea that if I earn/buy a rare NFT in Ghost Recon that I could start the next Assassin's Creed with a rare NFT for that game. IMO that's the smart way of selling NFTs and then getting people hooked into your ecosystem.

The creator type that you are referring to seems to be the one whose economic benefits from mass reproduction (youtube, comic books). The other type of creator, the classical artist, makes one piece of art and sells it.
That type of artists doesn't exist in the digital domain with infinite lossless copy-ability, unless you invent a technology to prevent that natural aspect to digital content. If you are a content creator working in digital, sell lots of copies instead of just one item.

Oh, yeah, this is some lovely stuff.

NFTs Are Here To Ruin Dungeons & Dragons (gizmodo.com)

Unfortunately, writing data to a blockchain isn’t as simple as writing hit points in pencil on a well-worn paper character sheet. Every time a user wants to perform a function on the Polygon blockchain—like adjusting the character level on a NFT-PC—they have to pay a gas fee, a tiny charge that helps fund the computational resources required to make the change. This means on the Gripnr protocol, there will be two gas fees per game that players must pay. Gripnr says it will keep fees down by operating on Polygon rather than another, more popular blockchain server system, like Ethereum (more on this later).

Not only do you have to pay for each play session. Not only do you have to buy crypto-currency (OPAL) in order to pay to play in a play session. You have to pay to level up your NFT character and you have to pay to assign points to stats when you level up your NFT character. Basically you have to pay a gas fee anytime you make any changes to your NFT character.

Uh, yeah. That's a great future for gaming. :p

Woo, let's go Web 3.0. :p

Regards,
SB

Wow, that sounds really really not low barrier to entry. If you are an avid player, I do not understand why you would sign up.
Only reason I can think of as now, is that you are not able to attend a group in someones home and need to play online.
But, not sure why anybody would want to pay to do that..... Then again I am not a fan of AD&D, so might just be me....

TTRPG are just so much more than chars and lore and background, without a decent DM why would you play? Unless they will have an AI DM for you, I do not belive anybody would put time into this.

They get an A+ for creativity/grift, but

Back