The Game Awards [2020]

Last edited:
So! The Game Awards! 3 Playstation exclusives on the list.

The 6 nominees for Game of the Year at #TheGameAwards:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
DOOM Eternal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Hades
The Last of Us Part II

Vote for your favorite: https://thegameawards.com/nominees/game-of-the-year

Find out the winner LIVE on December 10.

I might pop a nerve vessel if TLOU II wins GOTY. Personally think Tsushima, FFVII Remake or Doom Eternal are more deserving (in that order).

I might pop a nerve vessel if TLOU II wins GOTY. Personally think Tsushima, FFVII Remake or Doom Eternal are more deserving (in that order).
Generally GOTY candidates push forward gaming in same way. How do you feel about your suggestions?

Generally GOTY candidates push forward gaming in same way. How do you feel about your suggestions?

They do? Anyone have a rundown of past GOTY candidates and how they pushed forward gaming? My quick take is we haven't had anything to push forward Gaming in any significant way since forever. Maybe my expectations are too high?

Not even Flight Simulator 2020? Never played it but it seems fun and engaging especially how the assets of the world are pulled in and created.

They do? Anyone have a rundown of past GOTY candidates and how they pushed forward gaming? My quick take is we haven't had anything to push forward Gaming in any significant way since forever. Maybe my expectations are too high?
I guess it depends which GOTY awards you're looking at. ClivePSXtreme.com and BobXbox4Ever.com can probably be skipped. But i you're talking the BAFTAs? Yes, they explain why those games got nominations, let alone actually received awards. :yep2:

I think that "games that push gaming forward in some way" have some tendency to be lacking in the aspects they're not pushing forward.

For example, I think No Man's Sky is a game that absolutely revolutionised the ways how procedural generation can be used, and its engine has been shown to be immensely upgradeable in features, to the point where right now it's hardly the same game we got when it released.
But it's still a rather boring game for most, as its complete lack of story/narrative drives many of its gamers to give up for lacking a purpose.

And if it's not a very fun game to play then I don't think it should ever be "game of the year".

I can also think of smaller games like Way Out that pushed forward the cooperativeness in a videogame, but it's clearly lacking in many other factors.

Regarding TLoU2, it seems to me the only thing it pushed forward was the fact that narrative-driven games can indeed be too long.

That said, IMO the Game of the Year award should be given to the game that appeals the most to a very large group of people.

So! The Game Awards! 3 Playstation exclusives on the list.

The 6 nominees for Game of the Year at #TheGameAwards:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
DOOM Eternal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Hades
The Last of Us Part II

Vote for your favorite: https://thegameawards.com/nominees/game-of-the-year

Find out the winner LIVE on December 10.

Animal Crossing should win. It's about time this awesome franchise get recognized. But unfortunately TLOU2 is probably going to win.

I think Ghosts of Tsushima is deserving of the win and it's who I would vote for. The is the last of the 3 games on PS4 that I wish that I could play but can't since I don't plan to get a console again unless it's portable like the NSW. Barely edged out by Persona 5 in my top 3 games of PS4 (P5, Ghosts of Tsushima, Bloodborne in that order).

I would love if Hades won as almost all advancements in gaming nowadays is driven by indie developers, IMO. But I don't think it has a chance.

I think Animal Crossing is likely to actually win.

I'd hate it, but there's a chance that TLOU 2 would win just because it's "edgy." Loved the story of first game. Hated the second one. Thought Joel got what he deserved in the 2nd one, but the game is far too fetishistic WRT the portrayal of violence and on top of that somehow manages to come across as "preachy."

I don't actually think Doom Eternal or FFVII have a chance.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Not heard of Hades, though looked at some videos. I get whats so amazing about it.

Both
DOOM Eternal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
should not be even in consideration

prolly Ghost of Tsushima is the most deserving from the list. Though seeing as the winner is decided by popular vote, makes it a pretty worthless award

I don't think they can allow anything but TLoU2 to win, otherwise it will be viewed as rejecting the more controversial aspects of the characters. Nowadays it's all about minimising triggers.
Huh thats illogical. o_O
for some reason TLOU2 triggered so many ppl. Now If it won this award I assume these same ppl will be triggered again.
If they want to not trigger anyone then they would pick animal crossing, hades, ghosts. TLOU2 would be the last one you would pick

Not heard of Hades, though looked at some videos. I get whats so amazing about it.

Both
DOOM Eternal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
should not be even in consideration

prolly Ghost of Tsushima is the most deserving from the list. Though seeing as the winner is decided by popular vote, makes it a pretty worthless award

Huh thats illogical. o_O
for some reason TLOU2 triggered so many ppl. Now If it won this award I assume these same ppl will be triggered again.
If they want to not trigger anyone then they would pick animal crossing, hades, ghosts. TLOU2 would be the last one you would pick
I loved TLOU2 story as it was told. So it got my vote. :oops:

Back