'The Force Unleashed Sith Edition' for PC/Mac.. what?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Neb, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

While I have barely seen the console version the word on the "street" is it looks same. Maybe it might have some upped stuff. But yes could be a lot better looking and perhaps tweaking might do some.

What puts doubt though is that despite being Star Wars (!) I want dismemberment when fighting with lightsaber. This was amazing in Jedi Knight 2 (not sure about name). You could enable it with a single console command. Oh well it is quite cheap so I will buy it when it dips a bit more. I'll then see what can be done to tweak! :)

2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Agreed! Although if said slowdowns were down to the CPU then you could expect that same setup to run the game at 1080p with similar slow downs to 720p. At least then you can use the power of the GTX to deliver better graphics even if the game isn't well optimised for PC CPU's. I can't for a second imagine that a GTX would deliver anything but a 100% solid 30fps if paired with a powerful enough CPU. And probably at 1080p too.

3. thambos

Newcomer

Bad performance on PC?

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/swtfuultimatesithedition/review.html

I was really looking forward to this game. I had put off buying it on PS3 or 360 because i heard it was coming to PC.

Has anyone played this yet? Is it's optimization really as bad as the review makes it seem?

it's $35 on amazon right now btw
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Force-Unleashed-Ultimate-Pc/dp/B002LHSGSI/

4. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

They have just released a patch that includes a sound fix and a lower detail mode for slow systems, along with performance optimisations, so that review may now be outdated as far as performance goes.

Still, it's a pretty looking, but average playing game that is very linear. My biggest complaint is that it has the consolitis problem of combos. You can't pull off advanced moves unless you memorise and execute the various key combinations. Combat is important, but it plays like a Mortal Combat arcade machine. You can't just be good at basic combat, you have to learn the monkey moves on the keyboard or controller.

It's just not as satisfying or as fun as say Borderlands, Torchlight or (apparently) Dragon Age, and feels like a chore to play. You might be better off spending your money on one of the other better games recently released.

5. thambos

Newcomer

well i'd play it w/ a 360 controller so i dont need to worry about keyboard controls. i've been thinking about borderlands. torchlight i'm not interested in, was never much of a diablo fan. dragon age i already bought & love it.

i loved the demo for Force Unleashed, so i think i'll like the whole game. i just dont want to buy it and have it run at like 15-20fps. i'm still running a 9800GTX+, waiting to see how fermi turns out before i decide what card i'll get next.

6. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

You still have to learn all the combos. I just find it a really annoying gameplay mechanic that breaks immersion. You're not trying to play the game character, you're trying to get the combos right, you're stopping the game to look up the combo buttons, etc. You may find your tolerance for such things is higher than mine.

You know what? I am absolutely not a Diablo fan, and never played either of the first two games - they just never interested me. Yet I'm finding Torchlight to surprisingly be a heck of lot of fun.

7. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Then I'm sure you would have found Diablo II to be a lot of fun, it is absolutely identical in every way. Torchlight has a few extra features which are nice.

8. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

30 fps cap ftl. :(

9. Davros

Legend

Of course those of us who study the teachings of the Gaming Gods don't have to learn such things..
    [​IMG]

10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Mapping your keyboard is like cheating dude!

/me hasn't gotten the hang of mapping his Lycosa very well yet :oops:

11. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

mapping combo's for a keyboard is like buying a gamepad with autofire/turbo/slow to play something like R-Type, definitely NOT the way it's meant to be played.

12. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

It's rage time again, kids!

Frame rendering refresh at 30Hz?

30Hz cap in a 3D action game? In late 2009, from a large publisher?

[​IMG]

Couldn't the guys handling the port decouple the physics/animation engines from the rendering? Or was the code really so hard for them to decipher, thus leaving them with no other options but to stick with a basic port?

Also, this is one of the most ridiculous graphical setting screen I've seen lately. Resolution and that's it? And all these options were somehow crammed into a tiny 24GB install? Good job, Aspyr!

13. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Has anyone else played the SNES Super Star Wars games? That's what SWTFU reminded me of when I played a friend's PS3 copy way back. The endless power up stuff, collecting trinkets, combos, points, etc. It totally is a console arcade-style game. Not to say that is some sort of terrible downside, but it's not for me anymore hehe.

I've just started working my way through KOTOR2 again now that one of the content restoration mods is done. :) I love the atmosphere of the KOTOR series.

14. PhilB

Regular

I'm still hoping for KOTOR 3... Sadly it doesn't seem like it'll happen anytime soon.

15. thambos

Newcomer

BioWare says TOR is KOTOR 3, 4, 5, etc..

whether that's true or not remains to be seen. it's looking good from what i've been reading at darthhater.com though. :smile:

16. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Trust me. You want to play TOR. If you think KOTOR was good . This game is amazing. YOu want to play it so badly that if you knew how amazing it was , you'd hunt me down for my pc to try the alpha out .

17. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

still waiting for the beta sign-ups on that one

18. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Hmmmmmmmmm. Does that mean it's not a typical MMO with infinite grind gameplay, that it is very enjoyable even soloing, and that there's some level of character/world influence? I guess the question is what did you love about KOTOR 1 & 2?

#118 swaaye, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2009
  19. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

www.swtor.com/tester ?

very limited view so far. But its extremely story based but there is normal mmorpg there also. You get both but you dn't have to do both.

20. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

I did the day it got announced, like them I am waiting for feedback.