The fate of Nintendo hinges on the DS

Wunderchu

Regular
- If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell
- The next two years will decide Nintendo's fate
[source: http://game-science.com/news/000406.html ]

The DS represents a critical moment for Nintendo's success over the next two years, Yamauchi said -- "if it succeeds, we rise to the heavens, if it fails, we sink into hell."
[source: http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1527048,00.asp ]

"If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."
[source: http://cube.ign.com/articles/492/492253p1.html ]

(I first found some of those articles mentioned in this thread: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10290 )

He's sure got a flair for the dramatic, that old senile coot.

Not so sure the rest of the company agrees with him there, but we'll see.

Nintendo's got six billion in the bank, "hell" is a bit of a strong term to use with that in mind.

Qroach said:
They don't have 6 billion any longer. It's considerably less probably around 4 billion
The latest Quarterly I can find placed them at around $6.3b. What kind of expenditures have they had to burn through that much since then? I can't think of any major major expenses since then... They're burning some to sell Cubes at $99, obviously, but the software pickup may be enough to counteract that. And I'm not sure what's building up towards the release of the DS, but major expenses don't go unnoticed, and I've seen nothing to point that it's been burning THAT much cash. What information have you been seeing?

What do you think Teasy and Cybamerc would do if Nintendo went out of business? I wouldn't want anything to happen to them... :cry:

Seriously though, for some reason I think that the DS will be a success. I don't know why, but I get the feeling that there is going to be some innovative uses for it. Everyone around here knows I'm not a fan of their Cube strategy and I wasn't a big fan of the original GBA, but the GBA SP rekindled some of my faith in Nintendo. I also think that Sony won't have an easy time selling a suped-up portable PSOne for $299. The hand-held market is still Nintendo's to lose and I think they are going to stop the PSP with the DS and murder it with the GBA II.

Nintendo has the same amount of money it has had for a while. Obviously the exact amount varies with currency fluctuations.

Well here's hoping the DS will be a more interesting device than it is from the sound of it.

zelda_p.jpg

Exclusive Nintendo DS prototype footage

cthellis42,

Where in that report does it state nintendo has 6 billion in reserve? I didn't see it... The last time I heard a number quoted it was considerably less than 6 billion, but that was a while ago and it was based on the fluctuation of the dollar.

I could be wrong on this, but under "Cash Flows" they list "Cash and Cash Equivalents- Ending" For December 31st, 2003 to be approximately 711 Billion Yen. According to the Currency Converter at http://www.xe.com/ucc/, that comes to roughly 6.7 Billion U.S. dollars. They could have been talking about something else, however, but I think that's it.

I assume that's what most people mean by "Cash and Cash Equivalents." It certainly gets used that way all over the board. What else gets wrapped up when referring to what's "in the bank" and available in the most liquid form? (Microsoft tends to wrap short-term investments in here as well.)

I was referring to exactly that, Clashman, though I used the Mar. 31st, 2003 exchange rates when translating yen-to-dollar. ^_^

Wunderchu said:
- If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell
- The next two years will decide Nintendo's fate
[source: http://game-science.com/news/000406.html ]

The DS represents a critical moment for Nintendo's success over the next two years, Yamauchi said -- "if it succeeds, we rise to the heavens, if it fails, we sink into hell."
[source: http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1527048,00.asp ]

"If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."
[source: http://cube.ign.com/articles/492/492253p1.html ]

Bleh, I think you posted this exact same thing on the rage3d forums, or one person just copy and pasted from another.

I'm tired of that old drama queen.

the fate of Nintendo does NOT rest on the DS.

no more than the fate of Nintendo rested on the Virtual Boy.

no matter how important DS might seem to be.

Nintendo would never put all of its eggs in one basket.

the fate of Nintendo rests more on the next Gameboy than anything else. next would be the N5. then the DS would be last. IMHO.

maybe i'll change my mind once i learn more about all three of Nintendo's new systems.

I don't want to see Nintendo quitting making consoles.
Even though the only console I've bought from them was the N64, I've always wanted their products, but for some funny reason never got myself to buy them.
It must be because of the uncertainty of whether N is able to support me with enough games (In reality they are).

This generation my choise of console was PS2, because I was sure there'd be games that I would have to get. That was 100% sure from even before the PS2 was launched.

Nintendo hasn't given this kind of feeling of security for your purchase. I knew there'd be a new Mario game and Zelda game, but I also knew I'd get comparable games on my PS2 (R&C, Jak...).

I'm a bit concerned for next gen nintendo and Microsoft consoles. In light of what they had to offer this gen, the launch period of these consoles will be most important. They need to have great games at launch, otherwise I'm afraid Sony will be able to roll over them.

DS update by gamesindustry.biz
ntendo DS to feature wireless multiplayer
Kristan Reed 14:59 02/03/2004

Iwata comments suggest that you can ditch those link cables

Nintendo’s forthcoming Dual Screen handheld console set to feature short range, Bluetooth style wireless connectivity, according to comments made by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata just prior to the DS announcement.

In an interview published by Japanese Web site [Mainichi Interactive], Iwata repeatedly referred to the at-that-point-unannounced ‘Innovative machine’, and said: "The innovative machine has a short-range [wireless] networking capability. It will introduce a refreshing new experience if it's played by one person alone, but we're hoping that it will be even more fun when it's played with multiple [people]"

Iwata went on to bemoan the technology obsessed gaming industry and that “Games have come to a dead end,†and that devoting huge teams to games didn’t equate to bigger sales. “It's obvious that there's no future to gaming if we continue to run on this principleâ€.

“Creating complicated games with advanced graphics used to be the golden principle that led to success, but it is no longer working. The biggest problem is that [developers] need to satisfy the core gamers, who want games with more volume and complexity, while they also need to satisfy average users, who don't have as much knowledge about games.

“The situation right now is that even if the developers work a hundred times harder, they can forget about selling a hundred times more units, since it's difficult for them to even reach the status quo. It's obvious that there's no future to gaming if we continue to run on this principle that wastes time and energy [in development]. Nintendo is called 'conservative' and 'quiet' nowadays, so we hope to show our existence as an innovator to new styles of entertainment."

Iwata also dampened expectation of the DS as a powerful next gen console, urging that people appreciate that "it is a 'unique' machine, so not everybody will understand it right away.â€

“There might only be 10 to 15 people applauding during its unveiling at E3 [hey, he knows all about whooping US crowds, right? – Ed], but they'll understand it once they touch it. At the least, it should serve as a hint towards [our] next-generation console."

Pathetic. :(

Ubi Soft doesn't have a hard time delivering awesome games with big budgets that sell pretty well like Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six 3, and Prince of Persia. What's Nintendo complaining about? Last I checked Metroid Prime sold a boat load just like Zelda: WW; both of which were big budget releases.

It all sounds like nonsense to me. It's like they're trying to warn us that Cube 2 isn't going to be able to compete on a technical level with Xbox 2 and PS3 and their getting their message out early to put some spin on a bad situation.

Prince of Persia sold kinda poorly though, despite it's huge marketing push. Beyond good and Evil sales were beyond sad...

Back