The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by mito, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Woot!! .. OK I loved this game.. and it must certainly be the BEST Movie to PC conversion. While the Game is set before Pitch Black, you get to see how Riddick gets his "eyes" and also get to kick MAJOR ASS!! :D

It played real smooth with my X800 Pro(XT PE Mod) and I finished the game in 16 hours (unlike SW:RC which I finished in 8+ Hours).

I also loved the way Riddick picks up the cigarettes and gets the Extra Features which can be viewed later. Looking how the game came into conception was great.

9.5/10

US > AMD 3200+, Gigabyte 7NNXP NF2 Mobo, 1 Gig 400MHZ DDR, X800 Pro(XT/PE Mod)

2. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

:wink:

3. Alistair

Regular

Doing a bit of backlog clearing, I just reinstalled this and it seems pretty good so far... Maybe I was too harsh on it 3 years ago in this thread :)

4. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Yes you were!

I've been considering playing through it again, but the experience is still a little too fresh in my mind to make it any fun. Be nice to see it again at a much higher res with softshadows & plenty of AA at playable framerates.

What was it the developers originally said? That SM3.0+ with soft shadows was the equivalent (performance wise) of running the game at 16,000x12,000 without soft shadows? Something ridiculous like that... Certainly did run terrible and look nice though.

5. Davros

Legend

i just ran the benchmark sm 2.0 1024x768 on a 8800gts

Played demo: E:\Games\Riddick\Content\Demos\Sodini01.XDM
    Time: 30.09 seconds
    Frames played: 5730
    Average Frame rate: 190.42
    Min Frame rate: 14.33
    Max Frame rate: 587.91

ps:

The shadermodes available are these:
    1: Texenv combine is used. Roughly DX 7.0 features. This mode is supported by all cards and
    is generally the fastest mode. No specular highlights are rendered with this mode. Three
    passes is required per light.
    2: NV20 mode. This mode uses the features of GF3 GPU and will only work on NVidia cards. The
    quality of the rendering is equivalent with Xbox version of the game. Four passes is required
    per light.
    3: Unused
    4: Radeon 8500 mode. Uses the equivalent of pixel shader 1.4 to render the game. This mode
    only work on ATI cards newer than radeon 8500. One pass per light is required.
    5: PS 2.0 mode. This mode has has more correct math and higher quality highlights than
    lower modes. One pass per light is required.
    6: PS 2.0 mode with soft stencil shadows. This mode is significantly slower than PS 2.0 mode
    because the per pixel work required to soften the shadows.

6. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

nice thread resurrection.

7. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

i replayed this a few months ago. nice game. seemed shorter this time. and my play was COMPLETELY different, i don't even remember getting into some of the situations i got into this time, the first time through. oh and i realized you can catch those flying bugs in the prison too.

8. Alistair

Regular

Well, I've made it to the point it lost me at last time - the recreation area where I'm trying to find a way into the mines. There are 20 people standing around 4 identical rooms and it's not especially clear what I'm supposed to be doing. Heigh ho.

Until now it really has impressed me. It's perfectly smooth on a GTS a 19x12 and it looks great. I just finished Gears and this is striking me as quite possibly better, in absolute terms despite being released years ago. There's a richer set of events. Although now I'm stuck :(

I'll grab a bug or two to pass the time :)

9. Kyyla

Veteran

Thanks for the heads up. Now that I have a rig capable of crushing this game I decided to order it. 13€ is not bad considering the reviews it got.

10. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

This was an awesome game. Really enjoyed it. Should install it again sometime. :)

US

11. Bajzel

Newcomer

Yet it was, all this talk is making me want to replay it again. What a surprise this game turned out to be.

12. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Its a very, very good game but my GTS 640MB still can't handle the soft shadows :sad:

13. chroniceyestrain

Newcomer

They are remaking this game, but only 360 and PS3 versions have been announced.

It's called Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.

14. Alistair

Regular

Finished! Really very good. I maintain that that bit in the rec area is a strange stall in the plot though. It only took me three years :)

15. Sxotty

Veteran

I actually agree. That part seemed weird, though it was cool by itself it just did not fit right.

16. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Isn't there going to be a remake of this game or is it only for xbox360?

Becouse it would be fun to replay it since I never finished it on the xbox due to framerate issues and horrible downscaling in graphical intensive sections (mining faction under the ground = PS1 resolution! :lol: ) .

17. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

This thread drove me to try it out again on my PC. Suprisingly the graphics still look pretty great. At 1360x768 16x/16x i'm getting a locked 60fps. Actually stands up well to quite a few "next gen" games i've played.

Amazingly though soft shadows even bring my 8800GTS to its knees. I can lock in 30 fps at the above settings with SS but despite being locked at 30, the graphics are still very "jerky". It doesn't add a huge amount IMO though so I'm going for the silky 60fps :smile:

18. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

God, I remember this game. It still remains, to this day, one of the few games with a really amazing atmosphere. The intial prison levels were out of this world. I definitely enjoyed this a lot more then "The Darkness." Unfortunately I never got around to beating it. I should probably dig my copy up.

19. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

if they didn't spread the proceeds adequately to those that did the WORK, i wouldn't put much hope in the quality of the sequel. but i hear riddick will have a sequel.