The Cave by Ron Gilbert

JPT

Veteran
Supporter
I searched, but did not find a thread for it, if there is I guess somebody will merge anyway.

The Cave by Ron Gilbert, one of the minds behind some of the best point and click adventures from Lucasarts.

If you liked those old point and click adventures, then its a must buy.
Its a cross of good old Goonies and even better Maniac Mansion, I love it.

If these are your type of games, run and buy or click and download or whatever you do to get games, just get it :)

I played it on PS3, but its out for XBox 360, PC and MAC and you desperately need a copy. And hopefully we will get more games like this :D

I have been looking at this. The Thing that grabbed my attention was the constant "Exploration " talk but having looked at it a little I am wondering how good can the exploration actually be in such a game ?

Its a new era of gaming and the puzzles and exploration is much much easier than it used to be back in the old days. Or I am older and wiser :D

It got more than LBP at least, personally I would have liked more, but I have just had one play through.
And as with Maniac Mansion, you should play it through with multiple characters, ie change your team members between play throughs.

Probably should mention that there are unique levels for each character in this game, ie if you use the time traveller you will play the time traveller level, since you need the time travellers special skill to complete. If you do not have the time traveller in your party, you will play the level belonging to character you brought instead of the time traveller.

So there are 7 levels, one for each character + the standard levels.

Played a little of the demo today, just a little bit and really liked it ! Much better than Stacking !
Is the whole game good ? Should I get it on the ps3 ? I am asking cos I saw some serious framerate drops in some areas in demo.

framerate drops are there in the final game, but so far they always were in some "filler" rooms so they dint hurt during playing.
Im not far into the game but Im diappointed that the choice of figures dosnt matter much, and puzzles often require you to move 2 or 3 of them to the same area. Would be nice to be able to yell for them so you dont have to do long runarounds multiple times just to fool around with the riddles.

I got it for PS3 and I am not very framerate sensitive so it was good I thought.

I have to agree with NPL that the game is to easy compared to Maniac Mansion etc, but do most people want the complexity and the difficulty setting of Maniac Mansion?

I love this game, since it reminds me of the point and click adventures of the old days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played through once using Time Traveler, Monk and Scientist. It was pretty cool. I haven't had time to go back and play any other characters yet, but I intend to.

Back