"The best part of Doom3 for me was..."

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by digitalwanderer, Aug 11, 2004.

1. SteveC

Newcomer

I really enjoyed the entire game.

[​IMG]

:lol:

Steve

2. loekf2

Newcomer

Great game, but it gets boring after a while.

The graphics are so damn dark, monsters keep on teleporting in and after a while you can almost predict where they will show on.

Good thing (ok have to admit) is the lighting.

Repetitive level design etc. Why do all the models have these pointy heads ? Mutation due to spending too much time on Mars ?

I even didn't bother finishing the last level, got so annoyed with this ugly big boss that I gave up.

3. Gnerma

Regular

I played through Doom 3 soon after release, and my overall impression of the game was similar to the general consensus. The experience was repetitive both artistically and gameplay wise. The textures were a joke. I accepted the darkness as part of the game's 'idea' however, and made liberal use of the flashlight so it did not bother me.

Near the end of the game after reading all of the emails and listening to all of the audio logs I had built what must have been a higher opinion of the depth and quality of the narrative than 99% of the people who played it. After absorbing all of that backstory, playing the last few levels really presented a sense of menace and damning danger as I went deeper into the planet. I found the actual excavation site very well done, with all the stonework and shop lights strewn about. Here was what I'd been hearing evil things about all this time, and I had finally dug my way down to it. It worked.

4. Circastes

Newcomer

How were the textures a joke?

5. Mummy

Regular

"The best part of Doom3 for me was..." the uninstaller

8)

6. Cynips

Newcomer

Agree, I too made a concious effort of reading the e-mails, listening to audio logs and generally following the story. Honestly, I think there is more depth to the story in Doom 3 than in HL2, although it doesn't really matter much for HL2 - it's so good anyway.

Anyway, the best part of Doom 3 for me was definitely the multiplayer! Don't know why people dissed it so much. There was NO problem having more than four players. Weapon balance was good, at least after the patch. I didn't experience much of a problem with people camping in dark corners. If they did you quickly found out and shot a rocket or two there "just to be sure". Mostly noobs that camped out anyway. Only real problem I had was finding server without too many noobs. I even got kicked off of a server once for cheating. They kids voted me off. LOL!

7. Gubbi

Veteran

The level in hell. Best level evar.

Oh, and the chainsaw.

Cheers
    Gubbi

8. Quitch

Veteran

Never was sure why people say it reminds them of Doom. Doom and Doom 2 were fast paced, action shooters with horders of monsters in extremly varied, and often quite, open levels. Doom 3 is about as far from that as can be.

In fact, Doom 3 is the least Doom like game I have played in the FPS genre.

9. Gnerma

Regular

I thought they were low res to the point of taking a lot away from the suspension of disbelief.

Doom 3 felt more like the original Half-Life than anything else. Although of course not as varied.

10. deviantchild

Regular

i think they were referring to room design more than anything:
    cube shaped largeish rooms with structural support pillars and possibly a console in the middle or something, connected via corridors
    also, the prevalence of mezzanine floor type split levels
    the way baddies strafe out at you feels the same
    i know you could say all shooters have these things but it seems very conscious design descision in DoomIII
    they even had flickering lighting dark areas in the original if you remember
    again, with what they were expecting ppl's machines to put up with on the gfx front, it's not surprising the action was toned down a bit - if they could have done it with confidence that it would still run well then i'm sure we would have seen larger rooms with more hoards in DoomIII

11. BoddoZerg

Regular

The problem with DOOM3 is that it retains too many "old-school" conventions while being far from the original DooM in the most important aspect: You never fight dozens of monsters at once. The "teleporting in" trick is used to make you feel like you're under constant attack, but there are never actually more than 6 monsters on screen at once.

Despite Carmack's repeated insistence that "zombies don't need AI", the lack of AI in DooM3 really bothered me. (and the Flood in Halo2 prove that zombies can in fact have AI) In cutscenes, you'd constantly see Imps sneaking around on walls and ceilings and Wraiths teleporting behind people. Yet, every monster in the game had virtually the same AI as in DooM. Monsters in DooM were threatening because there were dozens of them. DooM3 monsters can't rely on that factor; when you only fight a few monsters at a time, it becomes boring when they only move straight at you while shooting fireballs, occasionally jumping to the side in a totally predictable manner.

Also, the lack of locational damage in DooM3 is disappointing. Again, when you're taking a chaingun to an army of 3 Hell Knights, 10 Imps, and 8 Cacodemons, locational damage doesn't matter. But when it's only 2 imps and 2 cacodemons, you notice the lack of locational damage. Although it's post-DooM3, Halo2 proves that extreme location-based damage (Jackals and Brutes) can be fun even in large-scale battles. Half-Life 2 also has a strong emphasis on locational damage.

Old-school, dirt-simple gameplay works. The problem is that it works in games like Serious Sam (and the original DooM/DooM2), games where you fight hordes of monsters. In a game where you fight much fewer monsters at a time, each individual monster has to be fun to fight. And this is where DooM3 fell flat on its face.

DooM3 was a great "play once" game. It succeeded wonderfully in creating a spooky atmosphere and delivering some really scary moments. Unfortunately, that reduced its gameplay to a "Silent Hill" type frightfest. In the end, DooM3's main virtue is that it came out before Half-Life 2 or Halo2. Since the release of those two games, DooM3 has moved to a sadly unused spot in my CD rack.

12. anaqer

Veteran

Doom 3 has locational damage - it just happens so that bar a few specific cases, every part of a monster has the same damage resistance multiplier applied to it. It can be changed though in a breeze, in fact many homebrewn MakeDoom3NotSuck mods have done this.

13. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

I enjoy the scenes when there's a blackout and the sound effect the subwoofer produces. It's terrifying.

I also enjoyed the initial maps where the zombies first appear. They're very scary considering the tension.

14. TomW

Newcomer

I recall that the tentacle commandos go down quite a bit faster if you shoot them in the head.

15. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

This is pretty true. Neither HL2 nor Far Cry had ANYTHING on Hell in D3.

16. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

How far is it from.... The Lab? I mean the Lab that comes after the first 53 Labs... I guess. I'm kinda lost. And i kinda lost the will to play the game, but really want to see this Hell level everyone is talking about...

17. KimB

Legend

There are two Hell levels. One near the end of the game, and one near the middle. It only took me a few hours to reach the first portion of Hell. If you get to where there start to be some teleporters, you're not too far away.

18. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Honestly, I enjoyed the excavation levels more than hell.