"The best part of Doom3 for me was..."

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by digitalwanderer, Aug 11, 2004.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

...the whole nostalgia thing. I see a lot of people bashing on the story and a lot of bashing on how stupid some of the monsters were, but I tend to think these people weren't gamers back when the original Doom came out.

Doom3 was a great trip for me, it was like finding a brand new place that was just like an old one I used to know but shinier/betterer/funner. 8)

It was nostalgic! Everytime I came upon something new it reminded me of something old, and I had deja vu more than once just from the way rooms were laid out and connected. Of course it had a bit of a dumb plot, they had to follow the bloody original storyline which wasn't exactly the most cerebral...but I thought they did a bloody good job of fleshing it out more and making it interesting.

The shadows are cool, the engine is ground breaking, and it's more fun to tweak than any game I've ever tweaked around with before; but the big thing for me is it was a trip to the past thru future eyes, and that was well worth the price of the game for me and I feel I got more than my money's worth. 8)

2. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

it's totally retro and groundbreaking simultaneously. it's a cool thing to see.

but, the cutscene immediately before the last boss. that was... well, I laughed so hard at that that I immediately died.

3. anaqer

Veteran

Most of the time the retro feeling was there, but around Delta Labs even I got so mighty annoyed with the constant monster spawns that it became very hard to keep my temper. The whole thing was just getting a bit long in the tooth which made appreciating Hell and the caves rather difficult.

The Alpha Labs rocked hard though, I head some very fine BMRF flashbacks.

4. Dio

Dio
    Veteran

I agree completely. I had exactly the same feelings - "Hey, there's that monster type! I remember them now!"

Glad to know it wasn't just me.

5. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I played Doom when it came out. The new graphics were great. The gamepley unchanged from 10 years ago wasn't what I was expecting. The problem for me is that since then I (and the rest of the gaming world), have moved on.

6. Vikstar

Newcomer

Poltergeists, blood and mood

I haven't finished doom3 yet, currently in the alpha labs. I love the poltergeists that fling stuff (and bodies) around the room. And finally, a game that has blood that looks like blood and not illuminous red paint (see. Unreal2). As for the mood, I love playing it at night when I'm alone in the house.

7. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

I disagree. Sometimes we just need a "stupid" game like this. You know, many people has lot pressure in work, and they may need to shoot some stupid monsters to take them out. They don't want to think too much.

It's just like... say, minesweeper or spider, they don't change but people still playing them when they are boring, or has nothing to do.

To me, the monsters change a lot in apperance. The once cute cacodemon becomes very ... not cute :) But I still like those monsters. Too bad there is no two-barrel shotgun.

8. MasterBaiter

Regular

Hehe, @ first I thought DW was going to say "uninstalling the game"... :lol:

9. IgnorancePersonified

Regular

I must say the bit with the dude "lying" flat on the ceiling with the fungi stuff hanging out was pretty warped :shock:

loved it! :D

10. fallguy

Veteran

...beating it. I had to force myself to, I just wasnt enjoying it very much. Too cramped, too dark, not enough open space. I know thats what Doom3 is all about, but I just didnt enjoy it for the most part.

Excited to see if there will be any total conversions though. As the multi-player doesnt excite me very much being so limited.

11. rainz

Veteran

Omg yes .. i was so happy when i saw my first BIG BALOON monsters ...
    aaah ! ;)

RainZ

12. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

I miss the Arachnotrons though... :( They rocked.

And the Spider Mastermind.

Pain Elemental I can be without, they were just annoying with their constant spawning of new lost souls. :p

13. SteveC

Newcomer

I can't remember which was which. Was the Arachnotron the tiny spider masterminds? There are 3 different spiders though in the game if you include the one level boss female spider. The spiders you encounter after you get back from hell are different than the ones you encounter prior to hell.

Steve

14. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Just finished. Game got better toward the end. I was so glad to get out of those endless base levels, and some of the architecture in the excavation levels was very nice.

15. Apoc

Regular

Well, i will say it. The best moment was "uninstalling the game". I got tired of the same pattern: "enter room, kill soldier, kill 2 monster, kill monsters that spawns behind you, get key, open door.".

16. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Man, I feel so young. I never played the originals.

Oh well, but the best part of Doom3 for me was that there was finally another single player game that didn't suck (which unfortunately Unreal2 did, I had high hopes on it). My first real PC gaming experience was original Unreal. I still enjoy it occasionally. I feel Doom3 will end up in the same way. Always residing on your HD even when you've play it through, and you get in and play a few maps from time to time just for the heck of it. :)

17. Scott_Arm

Legend

???

Didn't play the originals? How old are you? I feel like a total ass if you're younger than me and I'm still in school and you're working for ATI.

18. mito

mito beyond noob
    Veteran

There's a Doom version (can't recall which one though) that I played where you enter a room where there are dozens of aligned monsters facing a very big goat-like satanic monster. The big satanic monster sees you and begins shooting, but he instead hits those monsters facing him. So They in turn begin shooting at him. You just stand still watching the massacre.

Do you remember what Doom version was that? That impressed me and I never forgot that scene. Is it possible to play it again (any abandonware versions?)....

19. Reverend

Banned

I'm only at AlphaLabs4 but so far I feel no nostalgia, and I'd played the original Doom to death back then.

Doom3 just feels like a very scary first-person-shooter to me so far. I don't see any real innovations (Dio, quiet please!). Then again, many folks tend to be very critical of FPSs or have high expectations of such a genre when this genre presents a lot of choices to developers of such titles -- do they want a game with a lot of action, or one with some interaction and reasonable amount of action, or turn it into more of a RPG, or... the list goes on.

I think what's important is that developers voice what they want their game to be when they first announce it. Carmack said that Quake3 was supposed to be a "tiring day at work, just want to blast enemies" kind of game and if we approach it that way (and hence have that mindset and expectation of the game), Q3 is a reasonably good success story.

As far as Doom3 is concerned, I think the prevalent comments from id staff is that they say it is a "scary FPS game". I think they succeeded.

Game reviews will be different if we have more developers telling us exactly what they expect their game to be. Gamers expectations and comments (the public critics, so to say) will be influenced accordingly too.

Look at the coming "Brothers in Arms" (video) and what Gearbox expects (that video has the developer playing and commenting at the same time). Will it live up to the developers expectations?

20. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

meh, when the two Hell Knights pop out of the portal (it's the first time you see them)... dunno, there's something funny about that. "Holy Crap, it's the last level in Episode 1! Where's that stupid music?"