The best 3DO game you probably never got to play.. now free!

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Star Control 2! If you were around 10+ years ago or so, you may have played it on the PC (the source code is now lost), but its unlikely you played the souped up version on 3DO!

3DO version includes..

-full voice acting (I'm amazed at how well acted it is.. Spathi= :LOL: )
-remixed/improved music
-better graphics
-better UI for planet scanning, etc.
-CG cutscenes

So far, the only thing not to make it into this PC port is the cutscenes (which were really quite good).

Anyhow, even though it's a bit rough around the edges compared to today's standards, the 3DO version of SCII is still great fun with dialog second only to BioWare. Definitely a must play!

*memories of his friend's $700 3DO and hour long Super Melee sessions..*

BTW, you can spruce up the graphics a bit with some command line options..

uqm -r 1024x768 -d 32 -f -o --scale=biadv -s -q high

Which is, 1024x768, 32bpp, full screen, OpenGL drivers, advanced bilinear filtering, scanline emulations (personal preference, I like them), and high quality sound.

Ahhh yes, that was a real zinger of a game! Melee battles were terrific, being that each ship was skillfully balanced to beat another. So many degrees of strategies, all cleverly in balance... So much humor...a grand, sweeping storyline...just so much stuff... It's too bad 2D games aren't popular these days, because this would be a game worthy of a modern revisiting.

ok, maybe im just way to stupid for this game, but i clicked around and nothig did anything? what am i supposed to do in this game?

mat said:
ok, maybe im just way to stupid for this game, but i clicked around and nothig did anything? what am i supposed to do in this game?

Well for one, there's no mouse support ;)

I have it also :D

Those guys were hilarious, at least the few minutes I was able to understand the audio part of the game :(

zurich said:
mat said:

Well for one, there's no mouse support ;)

:oops: :LOL: that would explain it. but why the frell is there a mouse courser when there isnt mouse support?

Star Control is seriously one of the all time greatest franchises. I'd give my left nut to see another one come out, (providing that it didn't suck).

Clashman said:
Star Control is seriously one of the all time greatest franchises. I'd give my left nut to see another one come out, (providing that it didn't suck).

SC3 is somewhere collecting dust in my home. true POS. killed the franchise.

wazoo said:
Clashman said:

SC3 is somewhere collecting dust in my home. true POS. killed the franchise.

I really didn't think it was as bad as everone made it out to be. In fact, I probably played it 3 or 4 times through.

3DO had actually some very impressive games...

Like first Need For Speed was originally done for 3DO. (though I never played 3DO version, I have heard it was pretty close to PC conversion. and ah... those were the days, when TNFS forced you to upgrade your PC... it was something never seen before as open road racing game.)

too bad that EA has pretty much f*cked up the name... :(

Nappe1 said:

The late games were quite good, but it was all over.

Like first Need For Speed was originally done for 3DO. (though I never played 3DO version, I have heard it was pretty close to PC conversion. and ah... those were the days, when TNFS forced you to upgrade your PC... it was something never seen before as open road racing game.)

The 3DO version had a sim feel. You were able to feel the weight of the car on road. That was pretty much removed for a straight adrenaline racer for the psX version. Dunno for the rest of the series.

Version 0.3 Alpha is out

And I think 3DO actually had quite a few good games early in it's life span. Games like Star Fighter, Total Eclipse, the Alone in the Dark series, Out of This World, and Shockwave were all out for the system within a year or so of it's launch. To be honest, I first got one only a couple months ago, and I've probably been spending more time playing it than any system I've had since the NES. But oh well, different strokes for different folks.

wazoo said:
Nappe1 said:

The late games were quite good, but it was all over.

The 3DO version had a sim feel. You were able to feel the weight of the car on road. That was pretty much removed for a straight adrenaline racer for the psX version. Dunno for the rest of the series.

Yep, The Need For Speed for PC had it too, but when Sega Saturn and PSX versions hit the streets, came also Need For Speed SE for PC, that didn't had that handling anymore.

All these three, PSX, Saturn and NFSSE PC had same conversion team... which was the EA Seatle, while original game was done by EA Canada. and well, when EA closed Seatle doors about a year ago, ppl in NFS editing scene were cheering. do you know why?

Biggest reason was the major mock ups they did with the NFS series...
- First, they screwed the first one's handling in SE.
- Second they screwed good sides of NFSII's in NFS II SE.
- Third, they screwed feeling and atmosphere of NFS 3 in NFS IV, which was more or less NFS 3 SE.
- Fourth, it was their idea turn EA Canada's almost finalized NFS: Motor City to Motor City Online (caused it to be delayed almost 2 years.) which is already dead, while NFS PU online servers are still running. (but not long though.)
- Last, EA Seattle was originally responsible for PC version of NFS 6, but after Seattle was closed down, Black Box PC division had to grasp a game of some sort from what was finished for PC and stuff from PS2. (PC version has huge bunch of graphics and menus that aren't used in game.)

Back