The Bard's Tale IV - Kickstarter

They should get an entire dedicated graphics rendering team of veterans ASAP, or it'll feel very weird. I almost can't believe this. inXile of all.?

Wow, looks like everything I wanted from MMX but didn't get. This is an instant backer for me.

Wow, $1mil in 3 days

Last edited:
I feel like I never gave Bard's Tale a fair chance back in the day. Last game was out in 1988, same around same time as my GOTY Pools of Radiance. It always felt for me a second rate RPG, compared to Ultimas and Gold Box games (yes, I'm probably biased). I didn't like Wizardry games either.

I'm always amazed how many even remember games like Bard's Tale or Wasteland (class of 1988), let alone back 'em with real cash money. I guess nostalgia is strong in in us 40 somethings.

I don't remember wasteland at all, but wizardry series, bards tale, ssi gold box series, eye of the beholder etc is what I grew up on.

I think wizardry I was one of the first games I ever played and what got me into fantasy games, books, d&d etc

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord wasn't the first fantasy RPG I played on computers, but it was the one that first made me go, OMFG this is freaking amazing. Then Bard's Tale came along with full color textured walls instead of wireframe walls, and I was like, OMFG this is freaking amazing. Then Might and Magic came along and I covered the entire floor of one of our guest rooms in graph paper from the mapping out the game world, and I was like, OMFG this is freaking amazing...

Anyway, there's a soft spot I have for old school traditional fantasy computer RPGs. The Bards Tale 1 was the best of them the Bard's Tale series, IMO. Part 2 and 3 went kind of into ridiculous land (IMO) with ludicrous damage numbers. Still good games though, just a bit silly how damaged scaled up by the 3rd part.

Gah, I still remember many of the spells from Wizardry. Halito, mahalito, tiltowait, etc. And you had to manually type the spells into the game to cast them. So you either memorized the spells or had to constantly look them up in the manual.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
The in engine video...

Not bad for a Kickstarter. I was hoping it would be a tile based system with 90 degree turns like the original, but it looks like it'll be a contemporary free roaming system. Hopefully their phase-based combat can retain a turn-based feel. I despise real-time combat in a party based RPG.

Regards,
SB

According to the Kickstarter details it's a grid system like the original but you can unlock and free roam.

I'm feeling quite at home with these Wizardry/M&M/GoldBox nostalgia posts. Keep 'em coming :)

Re: the MMX disappointment. Yes, I was a bit disappointed that it didn't really feel like the M&M of old.

I Still enjoyed it up to the point where bugs prevented me from progressing, but I would have to think seriously about paying for another game from that team. MMX was shoddy as all hell, and felt like it should have cost no more than a fiver.

Any news of Bards Tale coming to consoles?

Back