The award for the greatest gaming controller goes to..............

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by woundingchaney, Mar 13, 2010.

1. woundingchaney

Regular

The Microsoft trackball mouse.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00005853X

I have been using this mouse for years and only now the device is becoming worn out. Sadly MS discontinued this product some time ago and it is in such demanded supply that any left still in "the wild" have price tags of anywhere from 70-300 usd. The ergonomics are perfect as well as all of the button placement. This mouse is the hands down best control device released for gaming.

(IMO of course)

If anyone knows where I can get a replacement for mine without spending a fortune please let me know.

2. hoom

Veteran

I take it you use this for RTSes?

I can't imagine using a track ball for FPSes.

3. hughJ

Regular

I can't imagine getting used to a peripheral like that over the course of what's likely 10+ years, and then suddenly be left with the prospect of not being able to get a new one. I tried using one a couple weeks ago when I was having to perform some tech support on someones workstation... it wasn't pretty. Apparently all these years of mouse/keyboard use have left my thumbs with the same dexterity as those mechanical prosthetic hands. I can grip a mouse, and wack the space bar, but that's about it.

4. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

I used to have a wirelss trackball from Logitech, as I bought it on a whim for my own amusement. I highly enjoyed using it. It's peak of usefullness was when I needed something precise, and there wasn't a proper space to use a mouse like on a chair arm rest as I used my laptop. I can't exclaim how much I hate laptop touchpads. As for games, it was a fun alternative in it's own novelty, but clearly was inferior to a mouse. Using your thumb to move the ball around while using your index and middle fingers for the buttons like a normal mouse took a bit of time getting used to as of course it involves isolating specific muscles in your hand to do a new task-moving the ball. Interesting study I guess of human hand ergonomics.

#4 Mobius1aic, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  5. woundingchaney

Regular

I use it for all games, unless of course a game is tailored to a controller. I typically set the sensitivity high and the trackball actually allows for some very precise movement. Personally I cant game with a regular mouse.

6. sonix666

Regular

If it were up to me, that award would go to the Novint Falcon, of which I will receive one in the next two weeks. Can't wait to use this very inventive controller. :)

7. woundingchaney

Regular

link plz

8. Jedi2016

Veteran

What kind of games do you play? I couldn't imagine trying to play something like World of Warcraft with anything but a regular mouse. The precision and speed just isn't there.

9. Daozang

Veteran Regular

10. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

wow that kind of device should be great for a laptop, I hate how the table is too dirty, the other table is too shiny, magazines don't work either for the optical mouse to work. plus ball mice can't be used because of the lack of a PS/2 port.

but there's not much choice (the cheap ones look creepy :))
    http://www.ldlc.com/cat/140080.html

the logitech one looks similar to yours.

(I do like ball mice, they just work)

#10 Blazkowicz, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  11. sonix666

Regular

5 others, on the server I play Team Fortress 2 on, have the device and are raving mad about it. I have been so lucky to try out one of the professional targeted devices years back (of which this product seems to be derived) and I can tell you, it is very strange, but it makes you actually feel stuff. When I have received mine and used it thoroughly I will post my opinion on this forum.

12. woundingchaney

Regular

I play everything (rpg, action, fps, rts, etc). Im not sure why you would assume that a trackball is lacking either precision or speed.

13. sham63

Newcomer

I also prefer to use a trackball instead of a mouse. I use a Logitech Trackman Marble.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/trackballs/devices/4786&cl=gb,en
    I have never cared to use a mouse for games, the trackball stays in place and is very easy to control.

The first one I used had only two buttons, I purchased this model a few years ago to replace my old one when my kids lost the trackball for the first one. I found the trackball about 6 months ago, so now I have a spare.

14. FrameBuffer

Banned

#14 FrameBuffer, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010