The AMD Execution Thread [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhatter

Newcomer
Nice Q, excellent FY results and even better FY21 guidance.
The revenues are basically doubled FY19 to FY21.

We love you Lisa.
FY21 guidance doesn't seem that great to me. Q1 looks good and all, but where is the revenue growth in H2? I suppose that they are very supply constrained, I would expect better otherwise considering their current x86 CPU leadership and other things...

Shortly after presenting their most profitable FY ever, Puget Systems had this to say about AMD today:

tMWNyn0.jpg

As you can see, AMD effectively disappeared from our product line for 2016 and most of 2017, and then spent another two years with single-digit shares among our computers. It wasn't until the tail end of 2019 that things started to pick up, and from there it has been a steady climb. In just one year, AMD went from being used in less than 10% of the systems we built to over 50% - quite a comeback!

I doubt we'll ever see AMD reach a full 100%, as Intel is just too big of a giant in this industry, but this reminds me of what was happening twenty years ago. As I was graduating from high school, AMD was having its first heyday - and now they are back again, and going strong. Hopefully, their success continues and pushes Intel to hit back with another great processor leap like their Core 2 family back in 2006. This sort of continual competition is great for technological advancement, productivity improvement, and consumer choice!

"Most of the GPU revenue for the company comes from its semi-custom division that manufactures the Xbox Series X|S and PS5 consoles"

Erm, where exactly did they get their data from?
How would a products without discrete GPU bring most of their GPU revenue, when it's not even reported in the same category? They're talking about CPU & GPU being a bit bigger than NVIDIAs gaming, but consoles aren't part of that number.

Do you have access to the BMO report (paywall)?
No, do you? The linked Barron's article doesn't mention what was claimed. Burden of proof is on the one making claims, not the one questioning them.
If anything it looks like it's just stuff HardwareTimes pulled out of their ass to get some extra filling for the article.

The performance of the Mobile RDNA2 was well behind expectations considering the node and power advantages of AMD hardware. And we now appear to have something happening behind the public view with the release of the mobile RDNA2.

1) Nvidia is apparently responding by re-enabling their monopolistic GPP program this time around on Laptops, in China mainland, to disincentivize manufacturers from choosing RDNA2.

2a) We have the laptop used to promote AMD Advantage, the G15, penalizing the R6800M performance in excess of 15% by not allowing the GPU to write directly to the laptop monitor. In order to bypass the iGPU, you need to connect an external monitor.

2b) The same laptop, appears to be using Ram with the same primary timings as the competing models, but with worse secondary and terciary sub-timmings. When they switched the Ram to have the same specs as the other laptops, performance increased a further 15%.

hVjE28d.png

When Jarrod was testing the legion 5 pro with a 3070 he thought it was weird that the GPU was underperforming compared to other laptops with the same GPU, he tested some new ram with the same specs on paper but got better results, what happened is that the new ram kit had better secondary timings which are kind of hard to track since they are usually not shown in marketing or even if you go to the ram's manufacturer page, he did the same thing with the new asus laptop and turns out the stock kit is the same one as the stock kit of the legion 5 pro and the kit with better secondary timings gives a good boost of performance. For the external GPU thing is just that the new asus laptop doesn't have a mux switch to let you use the dedicated GPU directly without the need of an external monitor which also leaves performance out of the table, it sucks because the laptop should be a premium product and even the basic model from other manufacturers like lenovo are using it.

The above information needs confirmation and does not yet consitute proof of wrong doing or just incompetence from neither Nvidia or Asus. People are checking it.

But I also have to point out that the both accusations above, are not new tactics, and have indeed been deployed in the recent past.

The performance of the Mobile RDNA2 was well behind expectations considering the node and power advantages of AMD hardware
It's just laptop things.
2a) We have the laptop used to promote AMD Advantage, the G15, penalizing the R6800M performance in excess of 15% by not allowing the GPU to write directly to the laptop monitor. In order to bypass the iGPU, you need to connect an external monitor.
Laptop things.
2b) The same laptop, appears to be using Ram with the same primary timings as the competing models, but with worse secondary and terciary sub-timmings. When they switched the Ram to have the same specs as the other laptops, performance increased a further 15%.
Laptop things.
The above information needs confirmation and does not yet consitute proof of wrong doing or just incompetence from neither Nvidia or Asus.
Oh hell yes nVidia is kneecapping China ODMs to death, yes.
No this isn't related to ASUS fuckup.
Also notice the 6700M missing from the actual laptops.
Lol.

No association was implied between nvidia and asus. I separated both points as they are 2 difference pieces of information.

Also notice the 6700M missing from the actual laptops.
Nothing to notice there, AMD said outright when they announced these that RX 6700M's are coming in a bit later than 6600M and 6800M (shipping now vs coming soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back