The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something doesn't look right in the income sheet, gross margins are down to 5%, so till I see numbers break down, I really don't know what the hell I'm looking at.

if the console deals were the saving grace for this quarter, which is what it looks like, AMD won't get the same influx next quarter, back to what is normal for them, and this is probably why they are expecting a18% drop?

AMD took a charge for the WSA but they didn't actually pay anything. They will only pay $25M quarterly (until Q3 2017).

WSA5.png

Something doesn't look right in the income sheet, gross margins are down to 5%, so till I see numbers break down, I really don't know what the hell I'm looking at.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10780/amd-announces-q3-2016-results

The GAAP number is affected by the amendment to their wafer supply agreement with GlobalFoundries. That comes out to a one time 340 million USD charge for GAAP reporting purposes. Minus the GAAP related charges due to that, they would have had a similar GAAP reported profit margin.

It shows just how badly AMD wants to be able to manufacture GPUs at other Foundries.

GPU (Computing and Graphics) related revenue is up 11% YoY. Still unprofitable, but less unprofitable than a year ago.

However, that doesn't tell the whole story. AMD's Enterprise, Embedded, and Semi-Custom is up significantly on a YoY basis. A large part of that is going to be due to their Semi-Custom parts which are in the PS4 (fat and slim), XBO (fat and slim), PS4-P (the APU/SOC would have started shipping in Q3) and in the future Project Scorpio. And those are only in those machines due to GPUs developed in their work in Computing and Graphics.

Regards,
SB

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10780/amd-announces-q3-2016-results

The GAAP number is affected by the amendment to their wafer supply agreement with GlobalFoundries. That comes out to a one time 340 million USD charge for GAAP reporting purposes. Minus the GAAP related charges due to that, they would have had a similar GAAP reported profit margin.

It shows just how badly AMD wants to be able to manufacture GPUs at other Foundries.

GPU (Computing and Graphics) related revenue is up 11% YoY. Still unprofitable, but less unprofitable than a year ago.

However, that doesn't tell the whole story. AMD's Enterprise, Embedded, and Semi-Custom is up significantly on a YoY basis. A large part of that is going to be due to their Semi-Custom parts which are in the PS4 (fat and slim), XBO (fat and slim), PS4-P (the APU/SOC would have started shipping in Q3) and in the future Project Scorpio. And those are only in those machines due to GPUs developed in their work in Computing and Graphics.

Regards,
SB

That one time charge and there are additional charges too 100 mill, which is split up? I haven't read everything in depth yet, but yeah, it really does seem like AMD wants to go to other foundries and it looks like they want to do it at any cost. Does anyone have the original WSA? Interesting that it seems like they are going to be taking a very large hit to use other foundries.

Semi-custom is up, but it looks like they are expecting that not to hold up next quarter, I'm guessing that is because they must have gotten a flat rate up from for the chip design from MS and Sony..... It seems to me that is what increased the revenue bottom line, and that will not be there next quarter either so revenue is going to be back to the level it was last quarter.

That one time charge and there are additional charges too 100 mill, which is split up? I haven't read everything in depth yet, but yeah, it really does seem like AMD wants to go to other foundries and it looks like they want to do it at any cost. Does anyone have the original WSA? Interesting that it seems like they are going to be taking a very large hit to use other foundries..

That 100 million is include in the GAAP reported charges. The press release for the amendment came out to 335 million USD. But it's possible that the 235 million they were to reserve for the warrant may have gotten bumped up to 240 million USD.

For GAAP they are reporting the charges now, but the payments aren't going out now. So in the future, you should see a 25 million USD charge for one year on their Non-GAAP reported numbers until that runs out. I'm not clear on whether those 25 million USD installments started in Q3 or will be starting in Q4. After that there will be a charge on a per quarter basis determined by how many wafers they use at other foundries (the 25 million per quarter for 4 quarters includes that) until sometimes in 2021, I believe (I don't have the time to look it up). The Warrant won't show up (if it ever shows up as it's an option) on the Non-GAAP report until such time as it is exercised.

Regards,
SB

That 100 million is include in the GAAP reported charges. The press release for the amendment came out to 335 million USD. But it's possible that the 235 million they were to reserve for the warrant may have gotten bumped up to 240 million USD.

For GAAP they are reporting the charges now, but the payments aren't going out now. So in the future, you should see a 25 million USD charge for one year on their Non-GAAP reported numbers until that runs out. I'm not clear on whether those 25 million USD installments started in Q3 or will be starting in Q4. After that there will be a charge on a per quarter basis determined by how many wafers they use at other foundries (the 25 million per quarter for 4 quarters includes that) until sometimes in 2021, I believe (I don't have the time to look it up). The Warrant won't show up (if it ever shows up as it's an option) on the Non-GAAP report until such time as it is exercised.

Regards,
SB
The fixed 25M payments start on Q4-2016.

Polaris 11 with 4GB confirmed for the Macbook Pro 15".

They claim 2.3x performance from last year's model which is a 10CU Cape Verde at 800MHz. If the previous GPU had 1024 TFLOPs, this new one probably has ~2.3 TFLOPs.
I'm guessing the full 16 CUs at 1150MHz.

The apple online store is already closed so I'm guessing they have hardware ready for shipping?

The apple online store is already closed so I'm guessing they have hardware ready for shipping?
The ones with touchbar, meaning the one with Polaris, too, ship in 2-3 weeks. Only the 13" basemodel without touchbar ships immediately, and it doesn't have Polaris (just like the 13" touchbar version doesn't)

Well, it's substantially worse performing than I thought:

http://creators.radeon.com/radeon-pro/

Pro 460: 16 CUs for 1.86 TFLOPs

To reach 1.86 TFLOPs with 16 CUs, the chip must be clocked at 911MHz. Which is the exact same clocks as the PS4 Pro's GPU.

Pro 455: 12 CUs at ~850MHz

Pro 450: 10 CUs at 800MHz.

And they all seem to be using 5000MT/s GDDR5 memory, for 80GB/s.

We'd have to know what the TDP for these chips is before passing judgment. With the lower Z-height of P11 one can wonder if this was a request specifically made by apple, so the power consumption constraints might have been similar.

EDIT: Its a 35W TDP, meaning apple decreased their power budget from 45W in the previous designs. Makes sense now.
EDIT2: Official sClk is 907MHz and the M370X also had a 35W TDP, unlike previous public information.

So now we have apple saying it's a 2.3x improvement and AMD saying it's 1.8x. Bleh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although it is not clear whether the 35W TDP is for the 450,455, or 460.
Worth noting the 460 is an optional extra.
So I wonder if the 35W TDP is for the 455, or meant to be all but I would expect some variance between the highest and lowest part.
Cheers

Ah well something is wrong in that link for me then, also disabled all adblocks/etc just in case they are the problem.
The only 35W that shows for me is:
But it’s not enough to have whisper quiet and astonishingly cool operation. It’s not enough for AMD to deliver up to 80% more performance over the prior generation of our graphics processors. It’s not enough to simply launch a professional mobile graphics processor that sips energy by running inside a 35W power envelope.
Tried both IE and Chrome *shrug*.
Cheers

are you serious? i know there is a band of merry men here who like to shit on everything AMD does but jesus.

i can see this in chrome, Ie and firefox.........

1. Floating Point Operations Per Second (FLOPS) are a measure of computer performance over a certain period of time. Tera FLOPS (TFLOPS) can be calculated through the following equation: ( [Boost Clock in MHz]*[Chip Compute Units]*64 (Stream Processors per CU) * 2 )/ 1000. Based on the Radeon™ R9 M370X specs of 10CUs, and a 800 MHz boost SClk at 35W, the TFLOPS capable is 1.02 ((800*10CUs*64*2)/1000). Based on the Radeon™ Pro 460 specs of 16 CUs and a boost SClk of 907 MHz at 35W, the TFLOPS capable is 1.86 ((907*16CUs*64*2)/1000). 1.86/1.02= 82% Clock speed (and therefore TFLOPS) may vary based on TGP. GRM-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back