The 8800 Ultra Its a Grand Card

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Davros, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Davros

Legend

2. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

So its either a 7800GTX 512MB card or a 7950GX2, both of which I say are a bad bad move. At that price point too... I can only feel that Nvidia is really worried about something, otherwise this simply does not make sense to me.

3. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

maybe it's liquid cooled with some ridiculous package, limited edtion eXXtreme shit etc.
    People will buy it regardless, like athlon FX and pentium 4 Exxxtreme edition

4. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

5. GMâ„¢

Newcomer

For that price, £200 more than I payed for 8800GTX, it might have new Samsung DDR memory and increased 1024-bit bus.

Water-cooling would be unnecessary unless its overclocked to the limits, but these two together couldn't warrant the extra £200.00.

6. Davros

Legend

For that price, it should come with ram, a case, psu, mboard, cpu, soundcard, hdd, dvd-rw, keyboard, mouse and a monitor :D

7. Sxotty

Veteran

That is one of the silliest statement of all time. If something is expensive it means that the company selling it is worried? It could mean all kinds of things.

It could mean it will be so much faster people would pay
    It could mean it will be a bit faster and in tight supply so they have outrageous markup
    It could mean it is not really meant to be released and the parts are so boutique the price is super high.

There are many other things it could mean, but there is nothing to say a high price must indicate that a company is worried.

8. INKster

Veteran

I agree.
    A worried company would compete like AMD and Intel are doing now (lowering prices as much as they can to stay in the game).

9. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

I believe you need to polish your reading skills. In fact I am not sure at all where your statements come from with regard to my thread. I never used the word must, never even implied it. I used "I feel" even which clearly indicates a stating of opinion.

I already took all there of "It could" into my opinion. First one, I am personally rather highly doubtful that it will be close to double the performance of a 8800GTX, which its price would indicate me or otherwise I (again) believe its a waste. Second, I believe it will be in short supply, again I see this as a bad move. Third, not really meant to be release? So why even make it? If it is so boutique then its essentially a limited piss off your customers even more edition.

Lower there prices because? Why would Nvidia lower their prices if there is nothing putting pressure right on the cards from their competitor? To me a 8800 Ultra would indicate that Nvidia are fully expectant to loss the performance crown. Since this card will be so expensive it comes off as a very desperate move though, seeing as it is based on G80 and not a refresh it could also indicate that a true refresh is not around the corner and these are very select cores.

*All of the above is in my opinion.

10. Sxotty

Veteran

Prices and performance are not related in a 1:1 ratio surely you realize that skyring? The conroe 6800 isn't so much faster than a 6700 as the price would indicate. Neither is a GTX than a gts. They never have been...

And you said "I can only feel" that indicates that you do not find room for other options. I just listed a bunch to show that there are plausible alternatives and that your suggestion is actually less plausible...

11. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well like you said, it's your opinion but I don't see the logic behind it. Exactly how does a high price lead you to believe that they think that it will be slow? Common sense would dictate the opposite.

12. INKster

Veteran

How do you know it's based on G80 ?

Remember G73-B1 ?
    It sold under the same Geforce 7300 GT/7600 GS/7600 GT names on the desktop products, even though it was actually a die shrink from 90nm to 80nm...

13. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

CPU pricing is rarely similar to graphics card other than the better the performance the higher the price. In graphics card you tend to have strict price points, at least this early into a generation. While pricing is not a 1:1 ratio with price, why would anyone buy a $999 card when you can pick up two $500 and get better performance? People buying these types of cards have SLI motherboards, which are not much more expensive then "normal" motherboards these days anway. Unless Nvidia can provide a reason for such a price then I truly question the motive behind the product.

I must have be unclear. I was saying that Nvidia feels the current 8800GTX will not be up to R600 and Nvidia feels a need to release a Ultra card in order to retain the single card performance lead.

I don't. We don't even know this is going to happen. All there is at this moment is rumors.

14. INKster

Veteran

And Device ID/SKU designations in certain Forceware drivers.

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well yeah pretty much everyone expects it to surpass the current G80 - would be a bit silly if it didn't after all this time. What's in contention here is the price of Nvidia's response.

16. GMâ„¢

Newcomer

What about a die shrink, 1024Mb Samsung DDR4 and a 1024-bit bus? It would be more in tune with the AMD enthusiast offering... no?

17. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

1024 bit bus? Now that is completely insane and... well just insane.

18. GMâ„¢

Newcomer

Well yeah I know, but I am struggling to get my head around what on Earth they could charge an extra £200.00 for of it is still a single-chip design...

... I mean in terms of increasing internal bandwidth, it either has to be the bus or the memory itself. Are Samsung DDR4 modules available in enough numbers for nVidia to use them on a couple of thousand enthusiast boards?

19. zealotonous

Newcomer

Maybe these are a "hand built" edition. :wink: