The 60Hz/50Hz question...

On the PS2 when select 60Hz i get Black/white screen as it should be and it reads in the manuals.. But on GC i can play with 60Hz options :D Also on Xbox i played the games in fullscreen.
I get you US livings dont have a clue but does my European brothers know whats going on here/Tested on 2 diff TV´s-

overclocked said:
On the PS2 when select 60Hz i get Black/white screen as it should be and it reads in the manuals.. But on GC i can play with 60Hz options :D Also on Xbox i played the games in fullscreen.
I get you US livings dont have a clue but does my European brothers know whats going on here/Tested on 2 diff TV´s-

Many PS2 games enable 60Hz by just outputting a NTSC signal, which is not compatible with some TVs - resulting in a flickery black and white mess.

I believe the GC and Xbox enable 60Hz by outputting a PAL60 signal instead, which might suit your TV better, resulting in a proper picture.

I could very well be wrong.

Many PS2 games enable 60Hz by just outputting a NTSC signal
Afaik they all do - there's no separate setting for Pal60 in libraries.
Actually I wasn't aware there were any differencies in the signal either, what I know of Pal60 has the exact same spec (hz and vertical resolution) as NTSC.

Fafalada said:
Actually I wasn't aware there were any differencies in the signal either, what I know of Pal60 has the exact same spec (hz and vertical resolution) as NTSC.

Ok, i had the impression that PAL60 has the same colour system thing as PAL but just outputs at 60Hz, which was why it works with some TVs that don't support straight NTSC. :?:

Fafalada said:
The biggest differences between PAL & NTSC is not the hz and vertical resolution (or rather, the horizontal & vertical frequency), but the way they represent colors. The H & V frequencies are so close that a PAL TV can display NTSC timings even if it was not designed to do it (60 vs. 50hz is 'only' 20% of). To be able to display NTSC colors on a PAL TV, the TV must have been designed to support both formats.

Here are some differences, they might be wrong, this is only AFAIK stuff:

1. They use slightly different color spaces. There are some colors that NTSC can't represent because of the way the color signal was added to the original BW NTSC format. If you were to display these colors they would generate a signal that is out of spec. Since PAL was designed with color in mind (based on the color NTSC format) it avoids this problem.

2. They use different carrier signal frequencies for the color signal. 3.58Mhz for NTSC, 4.43Mhz for PAL. Because of this, PAL also has higher effective horizontal resolution, not just higher vertical resolution, than NTSC.

3. Both encode the color signal (simply combine two color signals that are 90 degrees out of phase) so that the amplitude of the color carrier is saturation and phase becomes hue. The signal is compared to a reference clock to get phase, but if that reference signal is not perfectly synced with the transmitted signal, you'll get hue shift towards the right side of the screen, with NTSC. PAL has a fix for this, every other line the 'hue shift direction' is reversed, so any color shifts will average out to the correct color.

I find it surprising that you don't know this as a console dev. All three points mentioned is somewhat relevant when designing a game. Point 1: Avoid some colors. Point 2: guideline for how small you can make stuff. Point 3: Not so relevant today, but back in the old day could be used as a sneaky way to get more different colors on some PAL systems :p

Some tv's can convert composite or s-video signal correctly so that you get colors, but some don't, if your tv supports RGB, use RGB cable and you get colors for sure, because RGB ignores all pal and ntsc stuff.

The thing is i tried different cables but with any luck..
I wonder if it could be i have the "first" PS2 that came to market here in EU?

overclocked said:
Did you try all SCART-Sockets on your TV? On many TVs you have just a single one which supports RGB.

overclocked said:

If you tried all the scart inputs, you have rgb cable and rgb is switched on in the PS2 config then your tv doesn't understand RGB, what kind of tv do you have?.

I'm sure that the problem is not in your PS2.

overclocked said:
that you have one of the first EU PS2s doesn't matter.
make sure you have a RGB cable and a TV that supports it.
Usually only one of the SCART sockets on the TV supports RGB.

Back