Thanks to the mods.

Can who is splitting, closing threads in the Console forums leave shit alone? You're making things worse not better. Let things flow naturally & you'll have a happier forum. I know you want to keep things from turning into chaos, but sometimes you just need to leave things be.

Tommy McClain

So the temporary bans are until E3 if you post in the wrong area, right? Are we going to get a warning if we're longer term users or is the ban hammer going to come down swiftly? Also if you're banned can you still log in and keep track of your reading or do you lose that privilege as well?

Banning seems a bit excessive right now, I see several people have been naughty boy'd despite having posted here for well over half a decade or more.

B3D used to be more active in the past, and while I appreciate attempts to keep up quality over quantity, I'm not sure twitchy trigger-finger banning of oldtimers is the right solution TBH.

There was nothing twitchy about these temp-bans. The users who were temp-banned were repeatedly warned about deliberately bringing VS discussion into the threads that have no place being there. They opted to ignore those warnings over and over again. What constitutes enough warnings?

Not being able to follow common courtesy in discussions seems a bit excessive right now. As does the nearly 100% noise that brings.

B3D used to be far more active until it was dragged down into the pure noise of VS discussions, where solid technical discussions are always driven off topic with fanboy fallacies in such droves to be intolerable. Is it any wonders that other developers and knowledgeable staff members opt not to post in the forums?

You're right Brit. I'm here for the high level discussion and quite frankly if I am too 'noisy' then by all means ban my arse. I want more developers, more insight, more high level and interesting discussion etc so if I'm a casualty then I deserve it.

I was asking Rys about having a "New Posts" excluding the Console forums...
There's hardly anything worth reading there...

(I have to say I also was for closing them altogether except the technical versions which wouldn't accept rumors/gossip.)

Who all has been naughty boy'd? I've been away from the net for a few days due to having issues adjusting to my new glasses(Pulsing random headaches yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy not).

Banning seems a bit excessive right now, I see several people have been naughty boy'd despite having posted here for well over half a decade or more. B3D used to be more active in the past, and while I appreciate attempts to keep up quality over quantity, I'm not sure twitchy trigger-finger banning of oldtimers is the right solution TBH.
If someone's making a mess, they have to be subject to the same rules as everyone else, regardless. Years here doesn't give carte blanche to poop up the place. And very importantly, as Brit says, people get warnings (you wouldn't believe the number of warning posts being issued!). It's not like people are getting surprise bans with no opportunity to avoid them. Prior to next-gen rumours, the console forum was in a comfortable place with low noise (and low content, because there was nothing to discuss with these crusty old consoles ;)). An influx of new posters and some people with history who had been hibernating (those who turn every signal thread into a business discussion, for example) really messed things up the past months.

That meant we had three options:

1) Don't get involved. This would enable natural dialogue without concern for warnings or bannings for the users, and ensure business discussion in every single thread and make following that actual technical side of the new consoles nigh impossible.

2) Establish some managed discussion to keep separate lines of discussion separate. This means more work for the mods and those that don't care for tech or business to be able to have their discussions.

Neither is a perfect solution, each having pros and cons. Given the remit of B3D as a tech site, and the prevalence of other forums across the internet where free-for-all discussion is embraced, option 2 seems the logical choice. Option 1 would put an end to what is different about B3D.

There are easily enough forums out there to "discuss" the many aspects of the new consoles. Certain standards are expected here at Beyond3D and kudos to the mods for throwing themselves at the hordes and beating them back with their mod-staves to try to maintain and orderly and interesting discussion.

It sure is calmer without the SDF core haha!
There was a great cull on both sides. I think the console forum is doing okay at the moment and no wanted discussion is being suppressed other than the console comparison. That'll be fun when we finally get Durango specs...

Back