texture fill rate - is that before taxes?

nirradi

Newcomer
I'm confused please d0n't slap me with that fish, but: :oops:

the figure of merit called "texture fill rate" is given in texels per second.
texels are creatures that arrive from the cache and need to be filtered before they graduate to a single pixel.

so - whats the texel fill rate then? the amount of texels that can be brought from the cache per second, so to know the exact rate at which pixels are drawn, one needs to divide by the amount of texels per pixel (filter dependant..)
or the term texel here is not used properly
or i'm missing something

help! 10x.

so - whats the texel fill rate then?

A really vague term that can mean anything depending on the context. Really, there's no such thing as "texel fillrate". There's something called fillrate, which is the number of pixels the GPU can fill per second. It measures the speed of the ROPs. Then there's texture sampling rate, which measures how many texels the texture units can deliver per unit of time. Traditional "texel fillrate" tests have measured single or multi-textured rendering in terms of pixels it can fill with the texture(s). Those tests are generally irrelevant on today's hardware and is more likely to measure ROP performance than TEX.

I'm confused please d0n't slap me with that fish, but: :oops:

the figure of merit called "texture fill rate" is given in texels per second.
texels are creatures that arrive from the cache and need to be filtered before they graduate to a single pixel.
In this instance, they really mean the number of (bilinear) filtered results per clock, not the source data accessed. Yes, pixels per clock would be better but <shrug>.

Back