Testdrive Unlimited 2

I remember Testdrive from the C64, but that was a stage racing game.
So what is TDU?

TDU was a massive sandbox racer which included some MMO elements (mainly on the Xbox 360 since the NIC is standard unlike the PS2). The environment was based on GPS data of Hawaii and the gameplay is similar to that of the Midnight Club series except where MC is city based, TDU is mostly about expansive highway driving. TDU was one of those games where you would often just go driving for the hell of it because it was a blast to cruise around the huge environment. I can't speak for the 360 version but the PS2 version was candy.

Personally I feel that TDU on PS2 is possibly the most fun racing game I have ever played and I will be waiting with baited breath for the release of TDU2 this fall.

Cheers

I played the 360 version a bunch, it was a very good game. It's just as you say, open world driving for the fun of it. Along the way you can earn money to buy bigger properties and more cars. It was definitely the type of game that I would just play for the sake of playing, as in I didn't care about goals all the time, sometimes I just drove around Hawaii and enjoyed it. What was really cool is sometimes you would encounter others on Live racing around as well, maybe sometimes passing you in the opposite direction on the highway, and they would turn around and give chase leading to all sorts of hijinx. Good stuff, definitely looking forward to the next one.

It's all about the driving model, out of all the racing games I've ever played, I think NFS: Porsche Unleashed had the best balance between arcade and sim, I hope they can match that.

TDU was my favorite early 360 game. While I'm dissapointed TDU2 won't have bikes (DLC, apparently), it still looks better in every way.

The feeling of freedom and being unconstrained in TDU was simply unmatched. It more than made up for the wonky avatar weirdness and poorly tesselated road surfaces.

I played the TDU demo a while back for the 360. It was loads of fun, never bought it, though I'd love to get it for my computer.

Back