Test Your Ey... Display!

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Came across this via facebook, and scored (apparently) extremely high (32) when doing this on my iPad Air 2. Then I thought of all the contrast calibration tools and such, and thought - this must be highly dependent of the quality of my screen. So I did the test again on my Desktop 24" Dell, and scored 23 ... Failed completely on the black color, and then realised that I have the brightness all the way down to 22 normally and contrast is set to something like 75. So I changed it to 50/50, and now I managed to score 34.

So, if you want to test the quality of your contrast detection vs quality of your display's contrast representation and settings, this is actually a pretty neat test.

http://wvw.igame.com/eye-test

Got to 26 with 1 error on my uncalibrated Dell Ultrasharp. Got to 30 with 2 errors on my second try on my HTC One M7.

Darker color are definitely harder to spot that the lighter colors. Probably easy to "cheat" by changing the calibration of your screen.

Got to 25 on a TN panel (LG 2321D). Seems the max was 26 on the two runs I did.

edit... Ah.. hadn't noticed the timer before... On my third go I got 31. Not bad. Really struggled with the highly saturated reds and blues.

Sorry guys, on my first attempt .... 33! :D

But I have cheap DGM 27'' IPS and calibrated it myself by the feeling.

You scored better than 97.9 % of the world population!
Your colour vision and survival skills are incredible. You can recognize a mosquito from miles away.

Got to 26 with 1 error on my uncalibrated Dell Ultrasharp. Got to 30 with 2 errors on my second try on my HTC One M7.

Darker color are definitely harder to spot that the lighter colors. Probably easy to "cheat" by changing the calibration of your screen.

My suggestion would be that if the darker colors are harder, then your display brightness level might be too low (as it was for me on my Dell where I had brightness low on purpose so my eyes don't get tired).

So no one beat 34 yet? ;) but seriously, I reckon 32 or higher likely means your display and calibration thereof is decent. Would be interesting to know if there are people who can go much higher (through better eyes and/or better displays)

My suggestion would be that if the darker colors are harder, then your display brightness level might be too low (as it was for me on my Dell where I had brightness low on purpose so my eyes don't get tired).

So no one beat 34 yet? ;) but seriously, I reckon 32 or higher likely means your display and calibration thereof is decent. Would be interesting to know if there are people who can go much higher (through better eyes and/or better displays)

People, I'm not sure, but analytic bit of software or robot surely can!

I got a 34 but had to do a bit of fishing to get it. Any really deep colours and my monitor struggled.

I found that scanning diagonally really helped speed up the more difficult ones.

edit> woot, just got a 35 with no errors. Not bad for a crappy old 3D TN screen.

Nice :p

First attempt - only 23, Second attempt - 32.

BEST RESULT: 32 SCORE: 32 ERRORS: 0
ROBOT
Your color vision and survival skills are incredible. You can recognize a mosquito from miles away.

First attempt: 28 (minimum brightness, 1 error)
Second attempt: 34 (50% brightness, 1 error at the very end)
Around 15 attempts later: 37 (100% brightness, 1 error at the very end)

I normally keep my monitor at the lowest brightness. Darker blues and purples seemed to mess me up easily while light colors are quite easy. tabs's diagonal technique helped me, and looking at the edges of the rounded squares was useful for some of them.

30. First attempt no errors.
Got screwed on the dark blue, I couldn't decide which box.
Running off a 2015" MBPR, not sure if this screen has been calibrated.

Got 30 on a CRT and I'll try on a LCD later.
I always use Nokia Monitor Test for basic calibration, it's a simple and handy tool that works on both Windows and linux + wine, simply by launching the .exe ; full screen and resolution independant.

A rule of thumb is the 3% box here should be extremely faintly visible, it's ok if 1% and 2% seem entirely black (or whatever your monitor displays as "black")
g_-_-x-_-_s_11451x20110112102138_03.jpg

29 on my first try without screwing with my LCD or anything. On the last one I couldn't tell any difference at all.

I install NEC phone systems and always thought they were like military grade in terms of build quality (never had a single part fail except the compact flash voicemail media which always dies after a few years depending on use) so I bought an NEC IPS monitor that had good reviews. I think it's actually a 6 bit panel but it looks insanely good to my eyes (~20/10 in left and 20/13 in right).

P.S. my dad couldn't tell a person from a duck from 10ft and my brother is pretty bad too so my eyesight is an anomaly in my family. I'm like superman when we're trying to find the right exit on road trips.

Last edited:
Back