Terraforming games?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Sxotty, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Sxotty

Veteran

So is there any terraforming games around? Spore has a teeny bit, but from the reviews it sounds bad (the terraforming seems simplistic). I remember ages ago enjoying simearth when you terraformed mars or venus, but like I said that was ages ago.

Thanks

2. Davros

Legend

do you mean terraforming in the classic sense barren planet build machine on surface (or use bacteria) to change it to inhabitable
    i think a few xcom or similar space strategy games have that but it just a case of putting something on the planet or selecting terraform then after some time its inhabitable you dont see any visual effects or watch the process happen or anything

or do you mean creating mountains and lakes ect?

you should look at perimeter by codemasters
    "Terraform Land, Build New Structures and Transform Attack Units in “Perimeter”
    Perimeter lets you manipulate the world by using its energy to “terraform” the environment."

3. Sxotty

Veteran

Yeah I meant the second, combined with the first though.

Barren planet, you get to sculpt, and add bacteria to eventually get a thriving planet. I actually found simearth and messed around with mars again in dosbox (on win7 x64 no less), but I think some better graphics certainly would not hurt :)

I'll look for it, but right now haven't seen a whole lot of places to get it. I actually have maelstrom sitting sitting unopened on the shelf, which something said had some terraforming stuff from perimeter in it. Maybe I will try that.

4. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Perimeter is really really bad, I wouldn't recommend it, and I try to play all RTS games that come out.

Sxotty, don't think you're going to find anything along the likes of Sim Earth. Unfortunately it didn't do well enough to spawn a sub-genre. Although I suppose spore is sort of a spiritual successor (but overly simplistic).

Regards,
    SB

5. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

#5 swaaye, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2010
  6. Sxotty

Veteran

Sounds interesting (tone rebellion), but 1997... well at least it beats sime earth.

Maelstrom "terraforming" as far as I can tell involves a button that allows one to flatten a circle under a vehicle to the average height of the circle. It is completely useless and the game feels a bit incomplete. I gave up on it.