Tekken 8 [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Tekken has amazing depth. Once you pick a character and discover that particular chatacter's flow and depth you will be experiencing a different game. The only 3D fighting series that comes close and probably surpasses it in depth is VF. If VF enhances its presentation so characters look less generic and improves the feel of animations so they dont feel floaty it would be a great contenter. Overall I put Tekken above SF and MK.
Back in psx day vf and tekken was the real deal, sf and mortal kombat were niche as 2d wasnt that fancy in 3d world boom era and at the beginning series struggle to introduce good 3d versions. Ive found surpriaing and fascinating that after many years seems like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are main fighting games now and such series like Tekken, Soul Calibur and especialy VF more niche. Im sure such looking tekken will bring it position back.

Back in psx day vf and tekken was the real deal, sf and mortal kombat were niche as 2d wasnt that fancy in 3d world boom era and at the beginning series struggle to introduce good 3d versions. Ive found surpriaing and fascinating that after many years seems like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are main fighting games now and such series like Tekken, Soul Calibur and especialy VF more niche. Im sure such looking tekken will bring it position back.
Tekken is actually at its highest adoption now and probably more popular than Street Fighter or MK.

Its pretty big. Tekken is not a niche at all. But yes VF has been a niche for many generations now and Namco Bandai lost its touch with Soul Calibur.

Uncharted 4 was already doing this kind of mesh deformation + texture switch to get realistic knuckles in the hand and other muscles and body parts. If they could do that in a PS4 3rd person shooter with dozens of on-screen characters and large worlds, it can be done in a PS5 1v1 fighting game.

That texture swich is also very often used for semi-dymamic cloth wrinkles in many games. GTAV did it all the time on PS3....

Usually, those deformations are tied to movement contraints, so once the rigger sets them up, they'll show up in every animation automatically. The Tekke case here, though, was more deliberately authored, which takes more artist time and consideration but should not be all too costly computationally-wise.

The hardest part about having these muscle deformationa throughout gameplay is having the artist author them for all anims. The computation cost, at this stage, is not too demanding, nor is the tech that hard to implement.

Uncharted 4 was already doing this kind of mesh deformation + texture switch to get realistic knuckles in the hand and other muscles and body parts. If they could do that in a PS4 3rd person shooter with dozens of on-screen characters and large worlds, it can be done in a PS5 1v1 fighting game.

That texture swich is also very often used for semi-dymamic cloth wrinkles in many games. GTAV did it all the time on PS3....

Usually, those deformations are tied to movement contraints, so once the rigger sets them up, they'll show up in every animation automatically. The Tekke case here, though, was more deliberately authored, which takes more artist time and consideration but should not be all too costly computationally-wise.

The hardest part about having these muscle deformationa throughout gameplay is having the artist author them for all anims. The computation cost, at this stage, is not too demanding, nor is the tech that hard to implement.
Yeah this is artistically and manually driven. It also has massive refinement. Even the blood is visible passing through the veins to pump the muscle. This looks different from automatic constraints generated from basic body articulation. The muscle didnt pump because he bent his elbow. It pumped with the a future intention to hit emphatically with the specific move. Its clearly manually handled/driven for a specific move. This requires extra work.

Seems the moves are basically the same but the 3d model art direction was changed
Maybe its a placebo effect from the presentation, but I think they have some refinements. Some animations changed fully though. Some hit/damage and block animations from the receiver are completely new. The juggled character animations are also new and the physics also looks different. Kazuya's hell sweep also received a full animation overhaul in the trailer. Great stuff

It seems for Tekken 7, they were using assets of Tekken Tag 2 an arcade and PS3/360 game. As a PS4 and UE 4 games, it was not the right decision. This is the reason IGN asked if this time they were everything from scratch. This is the reason of the material problem in Tekken 7.

The gap is huge because it is nearly like coming from a high res PS3/360 games to a PS5/Xbox Series games. This is cool to see again a 3d Japanese fighter games looking like one of the best looking game of a generation.

Yeah this is artistically and manually driven. It also has massive refinement. Even the blood is visible passing through the veins to pump the muscle. This looks different from automatic constraints generated from basic body articulation. The muscle didnt pump because he bent his elbow. It pumped with the a future intention to hit emphatically with the specific move. Its clearly manually handled/driven for a specific move. This requires extra work.

I couldn't really see "the blood going throught the veins". Just the veins becoming more pronounced as a whole, which was part of the normal-map swap. But if its happening, could very well be using the same shader trick as the water droplets. It's an old shader trick that looks a lot more advanced than it is under the hood. I remember it being done in rainy windows in Gears on 360.

Even if artists need to author when and how these muscle pumps happen, I bet its as simple as adjusting a "muscle state" slider on the desired keyframes, and all the details are still set up once by the rigger like other games do.

If they are smart, their tools already do the automatic deformation based on constraints by default, and the hand-made artist driven adjustments over-rides the default only when needed in special cases of their choosing.

I also bet this is only being used for a couple key body parts. The biceps are a no brainer of course. The face problably has a few dozen blend shapes and associated normal-maps too, that's become standard in PS4/One gen as well. I'd guess the neck is another good contender... Who knows...

I couldn't really see "the blood going throught the veins". Just the veins becoming more pronounced as a whole, which was part of the normal-map swap. But if its happening, could very well be using the same shader trick as the water droplets. It's an old shader trick that looks a lot more advanced than it is under the hood. I remember it being done in rainy windows in Gears on 360.

Even if artists need to author when and how these muscle pumps happen, I bet its as simple as adjusting a "muscle state" slider on the desired keyframes, and all the details are still set up once by the rigger like other games do.

If they are smart, their tools already do the automatic deformation based on constraints by default, and the hand-made artist driven adjustments over-rides the default only when needed in special cases of their choosing.

I also bet this is only being used for a couple key body parts. The biceps are a no brainer of course. The face problably has a few dozen blend shapes and associated normal-maps too, that's become standard in PS4/One gen as well. I'd guess the neck is another good contender... Who knows...
I think you are downplaying the work that has been put or might be put later if they indeed are planning to implement this visual detail for more moves in that fidelity

Maybe a Tekken 8 demo or a beta at TGA
I am dying for a demo of a super impressive fighting game running on U5.
I havent been impressed with a fighting game's visuals since PS2.
It used to be a visual showcase up until the 128bit era. Tekken was impressive until TTT on PS2, T4 the most. After that it got basic!

I miss the excitement I used to have with a fighting game release

Back