Tekken 8 [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

They seem very concerned with the lighting and shaders
I'm curious what about the lighting specifically they are pointing out. The only time I see issue with it is when the super move is done and it turned into a weird garish lighting

I'm curious what about the lighting specifically they are pointing out. The only time I see issue with it is when the super move is done and it turned into a weird garish lighting
There seems to be a big disgrepancy between what they achieved with the initial trailer and the other footage.
The color variation and tonality seems balanced, and the shaders feel natural in the first trailer. The characters have more realistic shading.
In the next trailers, we get very bright areas, lighting and shadows appears flatter and rougher, skin is less convincing. Overall it is more gamey, compared to the original CGI'ish look.

edit: Something about the lighting is off. Characters have a weird white specularity that exists independently from the surroundings. Some other lighting souces on the characters either emit no light on them, or the characters seem to receive light from somewhere that doesnt seem to have a source. How characters react and dont react with effects and lighting is a freakin mess.

There seems to be a big disgrepancy between what they achieved with the initial trailer and the other footage.
The color variation and tonality seems balanced, and the shaders feel natural in the first trailer. The characters have more realistic shading.
In the next trailers, we get very bright areas, lighting and shadows appears flatter and rougher, skin is less convincing. Overall it is more gamey, compared to the original CGI'ish look.
Well the first trailer is also done for story mode so having more dramatic lighting makes sense or effects makes sense. Supposedly it was done natively on a PS5 with what looks like a realistic gameplay scenario, so it's not like it's some kind of unreachable standard. But perhaps that kind of specific scenario doesn't exactly stay consistent across all the other parts of the game in other lighting conditions and environmental areas

Well the first trailer is also done for story mode so having more dramatic lighting makes sense or effects makes sense. Supposedly it was done natively on a PS5 with what looks like a realistic gameplay scenario, so it's not like it's some kind of unreachable standard. But perhaps that kind of specific scenario doesn't exactly stay consistent across all the other parts of the game in other lighting conditions and environmental areas
There seems to be a problem with how the light interacts with the characters. Some areas are extremely bright and others extremely black.
In the first trailer the lighting sources have some natural blending. In the actual gameplay trailers, the light is so rough, that its as if there are limited and narrow bright directional lights with rough shadows.
Surely it must be doable, but tuning and setting up the lighting appropriately requires skill. I dont think its a matter of performance and hardware capability. It is a matter of art, technical knowledge and skill

Edit: I think those stupid effects they added really mess up with the whole lighting set up. It gives an uncanny vipe because they dont interact appropriately with everything else. Thus the characters seem off and disconnected from the environments

Special effects in tekken are kinda a staple tho
No they werent to the extend that are in 8. 8 does a lot of things different and unique to its own. Plus as games evolve, effects that worked 15 years ago dont work when you want to achieve a certain style and quality.
Which they achieved with the first trailer as admited by Murrray. The first trailer has effects but they are well balanced and everything blends. Now how the effects co-exist and they blend with the rest of the visuals are broken in the game.

Last edited:
I mean if that's how they want the game I guess they will just have to balance all the special systems they have going

They need to find other ways to visually depict those systems or at least improve them because, as much detail as the game may have, the disconnected visual elememts and visual interruptions are a confusing mess. I hate and love the visuals at the same time. It has its own uncanny valley. All the shaders and character detail is ruined by those cheap looking effects that make the characters look like highlighted models that dont exist in the environment they are moving in.

Back