Techreport comment on ATIs OpenGL Driver rewrite.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by ChrisRay, Jul 30, 2004.

1. aaronspink

Veteran

Atari
    Nintendo
    Sega
    Maxis
    Origin
    Cyan Worlds
    Microsoft
    Sierra
    Jordan Mechner

I can go on...
    There are a lot of people that have created ground breaking games although Nintendo and Atari are by far in the lead.

Aaron Spink
    speaking for myself inc.

2. sexualrug

Newcomer

I would also include blizzard in there.

3. Richteralan

Regular

blizzard did produce some good games but not groundbreaking. :wink:

4. L233

Veteran

Blizzard never made a groundbreaking game. They never even made a creative game. In fact, Blizzard never did anything that others hadn't done years earlier.

Ripping off other peoples' ideas and polishing them until you got a kick ass game is Blizzard's thing and they do it quite well.

Blizzard is the archetypical copycat developer.

5. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I would say warcraft/starcraft and diablo2 count as groundbreaking.

6. L233

Veteran

7. L233

Veteran

Great games but hardly groundbreaking. Everything had already been done before.

8. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Phantsy star , phatnsy star online (first online rpg for consoles) , shinning force , virtual fighter , virtual cop , virtual racing.

Just to name a few

9. KimB

Legend

Side comment on this:
    I really think that the netcode preference between Q3 and the original UT was really due to personal preference. I started playing online FPS's with the original Unreal. It was the first game I had that I could actually play online and get somewhere (with the original Quake, Quake2, and Half-life I was essentially never able to get a stable/playable connection, for some reason).

So, having first gotten used to the original Unreal's netcode, which evolved as I played it, I thought UT's netcode was great. I tried Quake3, but had a really hard time adjusting to its different netcode. I was far, far better at UT than I ever was at Quake3. Personally, then, I felt that UT's netcode was far superior, particularly for me playing on a modem, than Quake3. I find that opinion reversed with pretty much everybody who started playing online FPS's with Quake or Quake2, however, so I'm sure it's a matter of personal preference.

Currently, though, I've pretty much stopped playing random online FPS games, as I get tired of random dorks.

10. L233

Veteran

Well, as I said I know little about consoles.

What makes Phantasy Star groundbreaking compared to other console RPGs? Honestly, I wouldn't know. ame for Shining Force.

What makes PSO groundbreaking? I'm not sure that implementing an old and tried idea (online RPG) on a new plattform can be considered "groundbreaking".

Virtua Fighter was the first 3D beat em up?

What made Virtual Cop groundbreaking? It was some sort of light gun shoot em up thingy, right? I remember playing these back in the 80s....

What made Virtua Racing groundbreaking compared to the myriads of other racing games?

11. jvd

jvd
    Banned

:wink:
    phantasy star was the story line (Which was later ripped off in a ff game) and its battle system. Shinning force was the first tatics type game.

THe set up . 4 players in an online world completing the single player game . Sorta like diablo 2 but with 3d graphics and ground breaking combat systems :)

yup and in the smithsoniom (sp>)

First 3d shooter with branching story line .

First 3d racing game.

YOu might argue that adding 3d to something doesn't make it ground breaking. But then that would mean id software never made a ground breaking game ever

12. KimB

Legend

Whether a game was ground-breaking or not is totally up to opinion.

Personally, I think one of the most ground-breaking games on the PC was Baldur's Gate, since it revitalized RPG's on the PC. Similarly, so was Fallout, due to the openness in gameplay.

But that's just my opinion. If you really want to get down to it and do the research, I'm sure you'll find that there hasn't been one singularly original idea in gaming. Every new game that has been introduced has built upon what has come before. True originality just doesn't exist. Original-looking titles typically take features from one place, and enter them into a new context.

13. Cryect

Regular

Heh curious why you say Diablo 2? It was Diablo 1 fixed up as far as I could tell (and I actually preferred the first one and had no interest really in that gameplay by the time the second one turned up)

Heh so true

14. KimB

Legend

Well, Diablo II did introduce a number of things. Perhaps largest among them was the ability to play on Battle.net with other players without having to deal with tons of cheaters. This was made possible by Blizzard hosting a number of servers for people to play on for free. I think that idea alone was pretty ground-breaking, and really enhanced the game.

As far as how the game was actually played, well, Diablo II had vastly more replay value due to much more varied environments and monsters, fewer "there's no way I can kill that!" monsters, longer game, more items, unique skills for each class, and a number of other little things.

The only thing that really disturbs me about Diablo II is that some people claim it counts as an RPG game. It's really an action game with some RPG elements.

15. Cryect

Regular

Eh? So you meant all the online free multiplayer services which were just like Battle.Net (example MPlayer) that came before weren't ground breaking? Diablo set the stage up with Battle.net which was definately important for games to have easy access to others built inside the game instead of outside it. I don't think Blizzard providing servers is groundbreaking but was more of a requirement of trying to deal with cheating. Still then there were cheaters. But, whatever its all opinions :p

Hehe yeah it was a larger hack and slash than the original but the different environments and monsters were all exactly the same except for different sprites, special effects, and names :p That just bothered me because it was the same game with spruced up graphics and made longer (I enjoyed being able to get to Diablo in a fairly short amount of time in comparison to Diablo 2 from scratch).

16. KimB

Legend

Other games have typically depended upon players to set up their own servers. Battle.net itself wasn't new, but the ability for thousands of people to play on Blizzard's servers for free definitely was.

But it's not. First of all, the way you play through the game can change dramatically depending upon the class you choose and the skills you choose within that class. Secondly, different opponents have different strengths and weaknesses, often requiring different strategies in different zones.

How much have you actually played Diablo II, anyway?

17. Heathen

Regular

so you decuide to move the goalposts after quite a few goals were scored? Interesting technique...

18. Quitch

Veteran

You're a strange one, I'll give you that. Oh, and the ideas you're expressing here are wrong, and that's simply from an English point of view.

19. Thowllly

Regular

I played both Stunt Car Racer...
    [​IMG]

and Indianapolis 500...
    [​IMG]

...before Virtua Racing was released.

20. L233

Veteran

That's why I wrote "maybe I should have".

My question didn't exist in a vaccuum, you know? It is pretty obvious from the context that I was referring to at least somewhat contemporate game developers and not some game developer from the dawn of time when a dot jumping across the screen was considered "groundbreaking".