Techreport comment on ATIs OpenGL Driver rewrite.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by ChrisRay, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Cryect

Regular

QuakeWorld supported mods as well. It required some minor modifications but I played lots of QuakeWorld TF back in the day.

Just have to say I agree so damn much with that statement. Plus by the time I was used to Q2 multiplayer Q3 seemed screwy with its weird physics :p

2. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

QW was mainly the multiplayer (network) code (front and backend), right?

3. L233

Veteran

Quakeworld is a server/client architecture. Originally it supported Quake DM and TDM because that was all there was. Later came Mods like Rocket Arena, Team Fortress, CTF etc. Quakeworld made it possible.

4. Ostsol

Veteran

Ah. . . From your previous posts I had gotten the impression that it was an incredible multiplayer game. Based on what I know now, it seems that the reality is that it is a framework for modders to create perfection in gameplay. Can't one do the same with other engines?

5. Cryect

Regular

QuakeWorld was just Carmacks experiment with writing better networking code for multiplayer over the internet. Doing mods with QuakeWorld was the same as mods with Quake (just minor changes). Both used QuakeC.

6. hovz

Regular

well my p4 2.6c and 9800 pro with 1gb of dual ddr 400 isnt top of the line by todays standards, but i dont think its a sucky system. not everyone has the money to upgrade every 6 months. oh and i can garuntee you i would zero you in a 1v1 where the fps doesnt drop every 10 seconds.

7. Gabrobot

Regular

What drivers do you have? UT2004 runs sweet on my 9800 Pro...hell, it does a nice job on my other system...a P3 866Mhz, Radeon 7200!

8. Fodder

Fodder Stealth Nerd
    Veteran

Well, 'QuakeWorld' is the general term of reference for Quake 1 DM/TF/CTF/etc, all the game-modes and mods that share Quake's physics, which a decent number of die-hards consider the apex of gaming.

9. DoS

DoS
    Newcomer

Hmm...which card do you own ? i haven't tried Raven shield with the latest Beta, but i am not sure the leaked 4.8 Beta are the same with the ones we r testing ATM. However, Thief 3 is still one game, and i can only think of a couple more that have issues with latest official drivers. And as for performance...well i strongly believe ATi are doing the best overall job as far as the D3D driver is concerned.

10. Gubbi

Veteran

As mentioned earlier. Quakeworld is Quake 1 with completely rewritten network code.

The most important difference is that QW uses UDP instead of TCP to communicate with client. Another _very_ important thing is that QW uses client side prediction to essentially remove lag from you own movements/actions.

As for apex of gaming: When it comes to pace and intensity nothing beats QW 1on1s.

Cheers
    Gubbi

11. suicuique

Newcomer

You have a serious problem.
    Seek professional assistance.

And regard this a compaint about your behavior on these boards.

I've never posted much on these boards, but I am a faithful long time lurker since this site exists. And you, sir, are a disgrace to this site.

regards, alex

12. thegrommit

Newcomer

It's a stock 9800 non-pro. There's a thread on Rage3d where someone else has reported the same problem using the Cat 4.7's. It's a similar effect to the one in these screenshots. As it only occurs on player shadows, Spyres assertion that it's a faulty card is somewhat suspect. Remember, this is a game that's been out for over a year, the last patch for which came out in March. It's a pretty stable target.

As for Thief3, it happens to be a fairly high profile title - one that Nvidia owners have been able to play without issues since release. A period that spans two Catalyst releases (ignoring the 4.5's which were released around the same time).

13. Quitch

Veteran

No, it shows I don't agree with you. Welcome to the Internet.

14. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Best quote eva!!! :lol:

15. L233

Veteran

This is not a matter of opinion. Calling Quake's MP shallow is just BS because it is objectively WRONG. Same for your "demo of a 3D world" comment. Compared to most other contemporate shooters, Quake had very solid gameplay.

If you had said you didn't like it - ok. That would have been your opinion. But making objectively false statements is not an "opinion". You're obviously ignorant about Quake's MP so maybe you shouldn't have an "opinion" about something you don't know the first thing about.

If you make such a statement, it should be substantiated or at least be plausible. Simply making some outlandish claim and then pulling some "dude, that's MY OPINION, man" Hippie shit is ridiculous.

16. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Um, as a casual oberserver here, calling Quake's MP shallow IS an opinion.

Saying that opinion is objectively wrong, makes you guilty of what you're accusing him of.

And in related news...

I think pretty much all straight, non team based "deathmatch" type game modes are shallow.

17. Ostsol

Veteran

Well, it maybe shallow, but I think there's something of purity in deathmatches, particularily duels. The most basic essense of FPS gaming, (find the enemy, kill the enemy) is most perfectly expressed in deathmatch duels. I never got much into the FPS scene, certainly not competitively, but I remember getting very good in the Arena gametype in Rune (third-person hack/slash). I really enjoyed it because it was purely a contest of timing, of understanding the weapons, and of aggressive maneuvering. This purity kinda overides the lack of gameplay depth. Of course, this (like deathmatch) is a 100% subjective experience. Many people prefer greater depth in the overall gameplay, wanting more than just search and destroy -- which is why gametypes like capture the flag, jailbreak, UT2004's Onslaught, and others are so popular.

18. jb

jb
    Veteran

Having authored mods on both engines, I would say Unreal has the better support of the two. Our mod was featured on both ID Q2 expansion CD and Epics GOTY99 UT addition so I feel like I actually have some experience to make the call :) That being said neither was prefect. Q2/3 had what I thought was un-needed restrictions where as Unreal's replication for network games is a pain to deal with. They both have good points and bad points.

DoS,
    good points. But how dare you make an On Topic post :)

Q3 vrs UT?
    Not this again? Been there done that right? Ok for me I thought they were both good. I did not like how the maps had the same gothic theme repeated over and over (except for the space maps). I thought UT was slower which I did not care for and its network code feels "laggy-weird", but I liked how it had many different styles of maps to play, plus it has more than just DM/CTF. Trying to say one was better then the other is just like saying one of the IHV is better than the other........

Off Topic Shameless Plug
    Ostsol,
    Have you tried the ChaosUT2:Evolution mod yet? One of the areas it features is Melee fighting and the Duel Gametype where you can go one on one with your favorite melee weapon:
    http://www.chaoticdreams.org/ce/ChaosUT2Evolution/temp2004/melee2.jpg

Each melee weapon has its own animation set (swings) and damage attributes. You can also play with UT2k4, Chaos or a mix of different weapons for that RA feeling. The goal here was to capature some of the elements that made Rune and JK's mode fun and bring that in new engine. Give it a whirl :)

19. Ostsol

Veteran

Yeah, I tried a bit of that, though the weapon speeds seemed kinda slow and the ranges kinda odd. I was used to Rune, though, so my judgement is probably just biased. I'll have to try it again, some time.

20. jb

jb
    Veteran

Fair enough. The UT2k3/4 engines dont support this type of stuff nativly so we had to add in many workarounds to get it to work. Bet meh :)