Techreport comment on ATIs OpenGL Driver rewrite.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by ChrisRay, Jul 30, 2004.

1. gb25

Newcomer

So why bring it up? I don't recall the ati fanboys hyping tomb raider and calling it great because it ran better on ati's cards. So, what does that have anything to do with your statement about doom3 being called good because it runs better on nvidia hardware? Does it back up your statement at all?

Did I call you a f@nboy? I don't think so. Maybe you should read a little closer. The only way that you could interpret what I said as calling you a f@nboy is if you aren't "able to make up your mind as to whether or not the game is good, based on the merits of the game itself."

Good for you. I don't really care what card you can play it on. You can play it on every card known to man, and it's still going to be the same game. The question is, can you judge a game based on the game itself? If so, then good for you. You think the game's okay, but not great. If you can't, then you are a f@nboy.

It's a stupid comment, regardless of context.

Typical response from you though, questioning my fanboyism. Not once did I mention anything that could even be interpreted as my own fanboyism towards any company, yet you somehow find a way to make it an issue.

By the way, since I'm such a f@nboy, you should be able to tell me what video card I have. So, what company am I an f@nboy for?

Pathetic. Someone calls you a name and you feel the need to "defend yourself."

I'm glad all of the mods at b3d don't act or think like you. Otherwise, this place would be a step below some of the worst forums I've seen.

2. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

From words? :lol:

Come on JVD, you of all people should know better.
    That type of attitude would be expected from someone like me. :wink:

3. Cryect

Regular

I agree it might be easier to an amateur but I found it a pain to work with after a while and much preferred modding in Quake 2 myself (just feels nicer working with the language I'm used to doing the majority of my coding normally in). There was some stuff I found much easier to do in the Unreal Engine's just found the language a pain for some reason to work in (haven't worked with it since UT so can't quite remember what it was I disliked).

Heh, and a lot of the games where they weren't easy to mod were fun to mod as well. But then again all the fun in those games were in reverse engineering the file formats.

But lets get back on to ATI and their OpenGL drivers. I would be definately fine with them using application specific optimizations as long as they tell us about it and give us the options to disable them somehow. Of course prefer they spend time improving the issues in the driver. Seems it shouldn't be that hard for them to profile whats wrong in the OpenGL driver in comparison to the DirectX Driver.

Edit: Actually thinking back on my modding with UT I don't seem to recall actually disliking Unreal Scripting. I think it was just my general feelings swaying from modding at the time. Heh, cause I just remembered there were some things that really impressed me with Unreal Scripting (how easy it was to create GUI's mainly).

4. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Jvd - you should only be modding the console forum.

5. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

HAHAHAHA!!! Jvd was told off by Dave. Na! Na! :p

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

:shock: :lol:

You a professional comedian by any chance? :lol:

7. DoS

DoS
    Newcomer

I am feeling some things with respect to the "ATis OGL driver sucks" matter should be clarified...
    ATis OGL driver does not generally suck ppl, it sucks compared to the very high standards of the ATi D3D driver (industry leader IMO). I am a CAT beta-tester and with the latest BETA that also includes the new CP (which is gonna set new standards when it's released) all of my OGL games play with zero probs. I was hearing complaints about COD performance and i recently purchased the game (to keep me warm while waiting for D3 and HL2). I can say that i was playing at max details at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 8xAF and two hundreds of FPS most of the time with my X800 Pro. So to conclude, i think ATis OGL driver is bad compared to their D3D driver but some of you make it sound as if it's complete POS...which is not

8. thegrommit

Newcomer

I wouldn't go that far. I'm stuck with the Cat 4.4's as they're the only ones that don't mess up Thief3 too much. The leaked Cat 4.8's fix that problem, but produce checkerboards in place of shadows for Raven Shield - one of ATI's "Get In The Game" titles.

In my experience, ATI's D3D drivers are no better or worse than Nvidia's.

9. Colourless

Colourless Monochrome wench
    Veteran

Both DX:IW and Thief 3 had 'issues' initially with ATI cards... TWIMTBP related perhaps... not saying intentional...

10. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Thats what I said Dave. I just told a guy not to insult me. As he managed to insult me 3 times in a post only becasue I feel doom3 is not a great game having played it for about 12 hours in total now .

11. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Any game in which you suck will appear slow to you. In my experience, UT was always a much faster game than Quake3, but then I played UT a whole lot more than Quake3. It feels slow to walk over to the other side of the map to grab the flag, only to be killed when you arrive and then have to restart. But when you control the translocator and get to the other side in ten seconds and can climb the tower on the outside and do all kinds of funky tricks to surprise the enemy in their own nest, the game feels a whole lot faster and is a lot more fun to play. And as lame the bio rifle appears to someone who's not skilled with it, it can be a helluva powerful weapon if your good at it. The only weapon that sucked in UT was the ripper (which was cool in the single player Unreal to shoot around corners, but only turned out as a spammer weapon in UT), which they fortunately removed in UT2003.

12. Richteralan

Regular

I played both Quake 3 and UT2003 and now U2XMP/UT2004.

In general Quake 3 is faster in pace. period. :lol:

P.S. oh yes, if you are looking for some strategic playing in FPS shooter, please try U2XMP.

13. Razor1

Veteran

Hehe, yep thats true games tend to be slow when a player doesn't know how to play em. Both games are fast, UT is a bit faster in my opinion but UT is alot more fun with all the wall jumps and stuff, just kick ass special moves takes alot more skill to play UT, Quake 3 is only good for deathmatches.

14. anaqer

Veteran

The worst aspect of Q3A is how it has been seemingly newbified, but actually just plain castrated by the trio of shallow maps, weak-ass armours and the greatest of all evil, the "Woodpecker of Death" (aka machinegun), right from the get-go.

Q3A would have eaten UT for breakfast if it didn't fall on the floor between two chairs, simultaneously annoying oldskool quakers and scaring away newbies who got pw33n3d in seconds flat by all-aim players whoring the hitscan weapons.

Too bad CPMA came so late. :?

15. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

Traditionally doesn't mean shit here, my friend.

The technique they use for graphics itself requires much more skill, modding experience.
    Besides this, as I've said, there a lot of other engines which runs equally weel on any hw, much better suited for large outdoor scenes which is crucial to make a successful online MP and all these competitors are D3D-based.

I hope next few months they'll release some kinda patch + SDK to fix these things.

16. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

Well said.

On the other hand I used to play Q3 a lot and that seems faster, true but the new UT generation just overwhelmingly much better than ANY Q3-based MP. I'm still playing 2-3 hours UT2k4 every weekend plus 1-2 nights an hour per week - since its release!

UT2k4 engine makes unperdictable fps falls??? That's BS, dear hovz - either your machine sux or you are sux in this game. :p

17. Snyder

Regular

"Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

18. L233

Veteran

No, that's not it. I understand what you are trying to say but that's simply not the case. Doom 3 was faster paced and a lot of maps features stuff like jump pads that sped things up even more.

UT2k3 OTOH was a lot faster than the original UT. I actually felt that UT2k3 was a pretty good game compared to it's POS of a predecessor. I find it rather funny that Epic "Q3ified" UT.

Neither Q3 nor UT ever approached the utter perfection of Quakeworld but Q3 was a whole lot closer to Quakeworld than UT was and that made Q3 the better game by a long shot.

19. Cryect

Regular

And other comparable engines don't? Really modding is only going to get harder as time progresses like it has been this entire time.

From the coding side of things Doom 3 should be as easy to mod likely as Quake.

3D Modeling skills, artwork, map building have of course increase in difficulty. But you can do some pretty fun stuff without having to make new models, artwork, and just building simple maps.

Examples: Side Scrollers, Pinball, Pong (hehe :p), etc

20. Ostsol

Veteran

Wait a minute. . . Is QuakeWorld just deathmatch?