Techreport comment on ATIs OpenGL Driver rewrite.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by ChrisRay, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Ostsol

Veteran

Well, it might be that things like physics, input, and AI (in addition to netcode) are handled in a separate thread to avoid rendering speeds being limited by the logic tick and vice-versa. . . I've seen this concept discussed, occasionally, but have never tried to implement something like that myself into my own projects. Indeed, other than for netcode, I'm unsure of which engines do something like this already (if any).

2. L233

Veteran

Shallow MP? You're kidding, right? I still consider Quakeworld the TDM game that demanded the highest level of tactical awareness from the players. It was all about controlling the map, the movement of your enemies and denying weapons and power ups.

Since then we got only dumbed down crap. Games in which all weapons are useful and thus taking away from the tactical aspect of denying the enemy team weapons.

All your BS comment proves is that you have never played Quakeworld in a competitve enviroment. Basically, you don't know shit.

It had better gameplay, too. UT? Fuck it. Slow-assed game with lame weapons (snot gun and that pathetic bumble bee shooter and shit like that) and not even half as much fun as Q3. Alternate firing modes don't make involving or even tactical gameplay.

Quake 1 was a groundbreaking game, it single-handedly kick started competitive gaming. Quakeworld was possibly the most important release of the 90s. Quake was ever single bit as important as Doom.

Now, please name another company that managed to create two groundbreaking games.

3. jvd

jvd
    Banned

I've played the game and its okay . Its not great at all . Its just an okay game . Have you played the game ?

Seems to me that all the praise is coming from the nvidia camp(and from people who've never played it)... actually thats not so strange after all. :shock:

I never played quake world ? Is that on my quake disc ? Or is that a mod or a download ? Never heard of quake world .
    I've played quake online and through lan. The single player was boring and the multiplayer was fun. But then again. If you read what I wrote my point was subpar single player games . Doom3 has shallow multiplayer 4 people max out of the box ? As I said if this was any other game from any other company with a track record (like id) or releasing subpar single player games and on top of that releasing the game with sub par multiplayer and it would be forgoten.

I liked quake 3 alot but what single player was there ? Its great that id software can make a great multiplayer game. But quake 3 is not doom3 . Doom3 is all about the single player . Its multiplayer sucks .

Was its single player any good ? cause as i said it was pretty bad single player .

Id software makes subpar single player games. YOu can not tell me one great single player id software game . They were all just okay or worse . They do make a hell of a multiplayer game.

But this is not a multiplayer game.

Origins made 3 ground breaking games.

Ultima series , Wing comander , Ultima online .

Now please list how many good single player games id made.

4. L233

Veteran

Quakeworld was the Internet specific version of Quake.
    http://www.quakeworld.net/main-quakeworld.html#quakeworld_is
    Again, I consider this to be one of the most important game releases of all times.

Most people would disagree with you that Doom 1+2 and Quake 1 were "sub par" single player games. I played through Quake on Nightmare difficulty at least a dozen times. Wicked fun and a great challenge and I still feel to this day that the map design was utterly excellent.

Quake was simply THE shit compared to other single player shooters back then. So just because it was not your kind of gameplay doesn't make it a sub par game.

You're making no sense whatsoever. Quake 3 was supposed to be a multiplayer game. Hence sucky single player. Doom 3 is supposed to be a single player game, hence a not particularly evolved multiplayer mode.

Now, what again was your problem? Oh, I remember... proving that id is irrelevant because their new engine doesn't perform to your ATi fanboi liking. Sorry, dude... won't happen.

You're criticizing a multiplayer game for having crappy single play and a single player game for having crappy multi play? Man, that's seriously fucked up. Ah well, whatever suits you.

Yes, you're said a lot of things and most of them don't make a whole hell of a lot of sense so I'm not sure what you're point is right here.

I disagree.

Great single player games?
    Wolfenstein, Doom, Doom 2, Quake.
    Doom 3 remains to be seen.

That doesn't keep you from blasting the game for having shallow multiplayer :lol:
    ***hands jvd a Magic Wand of Intellectual Consistency +3***

5. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Yes online multiplayer.

Not single player

Hmm doom 1+2 . Kill tons of creatures by shooting as much as u can . Not a great game. Could be fun. But gets repetive and finding diffrent color keys gets annoying.

quake 1 was just boring. Only reason to play single player was to get better at multiplayer.

Heh mabye the shit that came out of system shocks ass.

I'm making perfect sense .

I said from the start that id had a track record of making sub par single player games.

Quake 3 was great because it was a multiplayer game only. It had no single player.

Doom 3 is almost the exact oppisite. It has a single player mode which is not ids strength and it has a sub par multiplayer mode.

I mean only 4 people at once ?

Whats your problem? You upset because someone doesn't pray to the church of id ?

The game will be relevant becasue it performs well on nvidia hardware and its a id game.

If it was any other company that put it out (except mabye valve or billzard) and this game would have gotten swept under a rug as a game with pretty graphics but shallow game play.

If you say so.

Guess you can't read. I've been saying that id can't make a single player game.

They are good at multiplayer and left thier strength to do a game which is subpar because of that.

that id software can't make a good single player game.

But it doesn't matter to you. Your an nvidiiot .

Thats great. Your examples are doom 1+2 and quake . Yes find the blue key. Great game right there.

all just okay single player games.

Your an idiot you know that . I'm blasting id for not sticking to its strengths and puting out a multiplayer game.

Instead they put out a decent game called doom3.

And the only reason its relevent is because its id software and it performs well on nvidia hardware.

If doom3 was made by you and perfomed the same on both sets of video cards you would never see the amounts of post of hype around it .

That is what I've been saying.

YOu don't like it fine.

But don't you dare insult me again

6. gb25

Newcomer

That's just dumb. While I'm sure that you would probably buy a game just because it plays well on an ati card, I imagine that most people probably don't think that way. Granted, a lot of people will consider doom3 a good game just because it's from id, but that's more valid of a reason than "it plays good on my favorite ihv's hardware."

You're the one calling people "idiots" and "nvidiots." I guess that since you're a mod, it's ok for you to dish it out, but you can't take it. :roll: As much as I dislike jimmyjames and radar, it's becoming more and more evident why people like them think that b3d's biased towards ati. What with a mod running rampant calling everyone who disagrees with them nvidiots.

7. mono

Newcomer

1st of all, good vs great vs "okay" is opinion. I'd wager that when all is said and done, jvd will be in the minority in terms of his lowball Doom3 assesment.

2nd, having never heard of quakeworld, jvd is without a doubt an utter newbie to 3D gaming.
    Anyone who didn't shell out $400 beans in July of '97, on the glorious release of GLQuake, for a Diamond Monster 3D card just can't comment on the quality of Quake and Quake2.
    Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who was a hardcore Doom fan upon initial release found Quake, and then Quake 2 to be the 2nd (and 3rd) coming. Quakeworld and the hallowed ground of GLQuakeworld absolutely smashed down the door to online multiplay.

Both single player and multiplayer were ground breaking achievements and represent two of the most amazing games I've played. Most "better" FPS single player games came after id broke such amazing new ground. In fact I can't think of any FPS, aside from Duke Nukem 3D, that came anywhere near Q1 or Q2 at the time of their release, in either single or multi-player fun. Keep in mind Unreal1 wasn't released until shortly after Q2. And talk of terrible single player, ugh. After the 1st 3 levels of Unreal (which were awesome) that game moreso than any id title, devolved into a complete game engine showcase with utterly no single player story. At least Q2 involved a "guns of navarone" premise.

8. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

People are trying to force their opinions on others again. :lol:
    Why can't people tell opinion from fact?

I like chocolate ice cream.

NOOOOO! Vanilla is better.

NOOOOO! Chocolate is.

Dave Baumann! Members of B3D are making fun of me again.

;) :lol:

Doom and Baldur's Gate are the greatest games of all time.

9. gb25

Newcomer

No they're not. This is the best game EVAR, because it runs the best on my mighty nvidia card!!! :p

10. Reverend

Banned

Well, at least one person has told me it (DOOM3) is the best game id Software has ever made. The again John Carmack is biased, I suppose.

Anyway, let's see how many companies complain about their employees arriving late for work, sleepy on the job or even don't turn up at all late next week.

11. Ostsol

Veteran

*hopes the thread gets back on the topic of drivers or graphics tech*

12. jvd

jvd
    Banned

TOmb radir angel of darkeness was a crap game and ran much better on ati hardware.

Doom3 is just not a great game. Its an okay game. And if it came out from another company it wouldn ot matter.

Perhaps you should reread the posts. I was insulted. I insulted back.

13. Cryect

Regular

Where the world did you get that from? Tradionally id's game have been the easiest out there to mod so curious. To get maps done to the perfection they were aiming for the retail game would be hard but same thing is going to be true on any game without heavy usage of prefabs.

Heh btw those who think Quake 1 SP was better than any FPS out at the time, I don't know what you were smoking (Duke Nukem 3D was much better ;) Multiplayer on Quakeworld was great though (Aussies I found were also the best to play TF with back then, in the US seemed to be abundance of people who didn't have any idea how to strategize with people they've never met before)).

And for those of you haven't figured it out yet the System Shock series is the best games out there ;) Just need a System Shock 3 in the Doom 3 engine now.

14. mustrum

Regular

What happened to this place?
    I used to come here when i am sick of rage3d, nvnews stupid fanboi crap.
    Now it'S the same shit here as well?
    It's a shame, really is. :cry:

15. Cryect

Regular

The R420 and NV40 happened to this place.

16. Ostsol

Veteran

I've always been quite partial to the Unreal Engine for its modding capabilities. That the script compiler was built into the editor and that the API was relatively easy to use made for quick, easy modding. There's no worries about knowing how to properly import/export functionality from DLLs and such. . . It's simply much more accessible to the amature programmer.

17. gb25

Newcomer

So, did you buy it just because it ran better on ati hardware? Do you consider it good just because it ran better on ati hardware?

That would be you're opinion. You're certainly entitled to it, but the whole argument is really irrelevent. The game is made by id, not another company. Any person that isn't blinded by fanyboyism will easily be able to make up their mind as to whether or not the game is good, based on the merits of the game itself. At least I know that I will.

He called you a fanatic, and made a quip about your intelligence. Big deal. I'm sure it's not the first time you've been called a fanatic, or had your intelligence called into question. If you're so emotionally vulnerable to being called names or other insults on a public forum, then maybe you shouldn't be so overly opinionated in your statements. When you make stupid statements like "The game will be relevant becasue it performs well on nvidia hardware," you're asking to be insulted.

By the way, instead of hurling back insults, maybe you should learn a little thing called tact. You're a mod, why don't you try acting like one.

18. hovz

Regular

i hate the unreal engine. its the most unpredictable engine performance wise. nothing better then losing to newbs because your fps randomly drops to the 30s. and this happens all game long. god i despise epic.

19. Ostsol

Veteran

LOL! Once I saw you're name I pretty much knew what your post would be about. . .

20. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Nope tried the demo and didn't care for it . Never spent the money on it .

of course it has to be me that is blinded by fanyboyism and not you ?

I am playing the game and i said its okay. Not great. And for refrence i can easily have a 6800gt if i want it . I'm lucky enough to be able to buy 2 video cards. I did it with my 9700pro and 5800ultra.

ANd i told him not to do it again.

I'm sure its not the first time he's been told that .

Perhaps you should quote me word by word. Instead of the half assed job your doing and you will see its not a stupid comment. Unless of course your fanyboyism is blind siding you .

Yea i mod the console forum.

Doesn't mean I have to like being insult and doesn't mean I don't have the right to defend myself.

Heh. Some people make me laugh. I'm going to start calling people fanyboys wehenever they say somethign i don't like