Techreport comment on ATIs OpenGL Driver rewrite.

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by ChrisRay, Jul 30, 2004.

1. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/7116

Has anyone seen this?

What this means. Your guess is as good as mine. But I am a bit dubious. I was really hoping for that OpenGL rewrite from scratch.

2. Jimmers

Newcomer

So long as OGL support gets better with every driver release, I guess there's really no need to complain. I've never really had a huge problem with the way ATI cards work with OGL games. Specifically in D3 though, after seeing [H]'s Doom hardware write up I don't thing people with hige end cards from either IHV will really have any problems.

3. jvd

jvd
    Banned

I think they mean they are going to release the new driver in parts.

They wont just release a new opengl driver all at once. The bug reports they'd get from rewriten drivers would be nuts .

So i'm sure they will slowly start to release it .

4. anaqer

Veteran

&lt;AOL>Me too!&lt;/AOL>
    Really, this has been hinted upon for so long, I can barely remember a Catalyst version where the first question wasn't "is this THE OpenGL driver?"... :?

5. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

The rewrite is still going on, but it will still take plenty of time to do effectively. There are several optimisations that can occur for Doom3 (which is all we are really taking abount in terms of "OpenGL performance" for the time being in the consumer space) and these will probably be done in conjunction with the overall rewrite.

6. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

so there's the big re-write and then other small optimizations being done in the meantime?

I guess that makes sense....

7. Tim

Tim
    Regular

Some of the code from the rewrite will properly be patched into the old driver. That means that we will see some of the performance increase before the new driver is actually released and that we might not see one big jump in performance but a few small ones.

8. Xmas

Xmas Porous
    Veteran Subscriber

9. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

oh.........

....and thanks for the link

maybe I'll skip some drivers and then make the jump and fool myself into thinking that it's a magic driver. :lol:

10. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

ATI's D3D driver was effectively a rewrite from R300 onwards - the OGL driver didn't get the same treatment though.

11. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

wrt ATI's "rumoured" OGL drivers, either Dave's been misinformed or I've been misinformed.

12. Star_Hunter

Newcomer

Which I think Ati now sees as a mistake...

13. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

I think starting from scratch can be a very good thing. Most first software versions are demos. Quite regulary, the internal name is still demo.exe or something alike. Quick and dirty, just as long as it looks nice and works more-or-less, most of the time. The second version is often the bugfix for the demo. The third version is another bugfix with the major complaints addressed as well. At that time you know what it should do, what your customers want and where the problems are. Throw it away, start from scratch and make a real version.

A version 4 that continues the old code is most of the time not manageable anymore, version 5 will probably never work. Which is more or less (AFAIK) what happened with the FireGL drivers...

14. Kombatant

Regular

Dave's well informed Ratch, I will verify it as well.

15. Mark

Mark aka Ratchet
    Regular

Well the person I was told it from is far better informed than either of you so either I've been lied to or ...

well, going back over what Dave has said it kinda jives with what I've been told, but without revealing anything, Dave makes it seem ... err ... overly enthusiastic (trying hard not to say anything). I think the key word in his post is "can".

16. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

...or it's a big conspiracy and Ati is trying to throw us all off......

for some diabolical reason. :lol:

17. logen999

Newcomer

I’m no codepath programmer, but releasing a OGL rewrite in parts does not make it sound like you are rewriting it, it makes it sound like you are simply patching it to a point of it being significantly different then before.

A rewrite would constitute a special catalyst release (5.1’s?) that has been completely redone.

But that’s just what I think…

18. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

Well, i do hope they rewrite the OpenGL driver and make it work as it should. That would be the largest real gain. If that is what the quote at the top means, I don't know. As logen999 says: it doesn't sound like it.

Then there is Doom3. Personally, I don't care about the X800 being slower than the 8600, but I probably belong to a very tiny minority :D

So I would assume, that ATi will make an optimized Doom3 path, possibly with shader replacements. And that is exactly what you can do gradually.

19. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

Well unless their is gonna be about 10 catalyst releases between now and tuesday I think a few x800 pro users are gonna be unhappy. :cry:

But thankfully I'm not rich enough to worry about that.

20. alanity

Newcomer

Has anyone asked them why they weren't working on this months (or even years) ago? I'd really love to know the logic of not preparing yourself for what was obviously going to be a huge gaming event when you knew it was coming for all that time. Sadly right now the one theory that seems most likely is that drivers just aren't going to help them enough and they're desperately trying to stop people buying nvidia with empty promises. I really hope I'm wrong and I'd love it if they could persuade my that I am.