Technically - why does in-game graphics look worse than "photomode" graphics?

joebloggs

Newcomer
I asked this in the PGR3 thread but it doesn't seem to be getting much action.
Please forgive me if this is redundant or "obvious" but I'm wondering about the specifics of what's going on.

I'll copy the question from the other thread:

"I'd like to ask why gameplay graphics in games like PGR3 or GT always look worse than "photomode" graphics.

Obviously it's the game code overhead but more specifically in photomode the GPU is rendering those graphics to the screen so it's *capable* of rendering graphics like that so where does the bound come in when running in "game" mode?

What precisely is the CPU/GPU doing or not doing that creates that drop in visuals?"

When creating a photo from a game, you might have half a second or even a second to work on it. Typically an in-game frame will have 1/60th-1/30th of a second to work with.

I think its just because the developers of the games are just implimenting visual effects in Photomode that they couldn't impliment in-game. As for what these effects are, i'm not sure (never really looked into it). Though, I know this is the case for PGR3 and Gran Turismo 4

Bandwidth limitations springs to mind...

So if a game is limited in resolution (PGR3 IIRC) or what level of FSAA (0, 2, 4 etc) it has or if it cant have FSAA and HDR at the same time, it can, with those set to max, because it isnt constrained.

I just read L-B's post in the PGR3 thread and Titanio's post. They more or less hit the nail on the head. I also just realized how my post was stating the extreme obvious :LOL:

I dunno, if anything I'd say the biggest difference is the camera angles. In the photo modes you can take pictures from angles that look really cool, but you can't feasibly play in. The best view for playing a racing game proficiently isn't necessarily going to be the best view for making the game look awesome.

If you could play the game while looking at the car from the front or side then I think you'd be impressed, but you probably won't win very many races.

Probably stating the obvious, but I do notice some quite noticable framerate drop in PGR3's photomode when fooling around with the HDR slider/making the scene look more awesome, more so than anything in-game...

Im just hoping that with PGR4 the cars will be close to that level of detail in game. Maybe with the development experience and time with the new Hardware the developers will be able to squeeze out enough from the XB 360 to get that level of detail (photomode) in racing conditions :) One can only hope.

I was sure I posted this before but I think that what makes photomode so much better is the depth of field effect of the camera which just isn't possible because of being unplayable and because in a game like PGR 3, there is a resolution and anti-aliasing boost.

Off topic, but how do you switch to cockpit view in PGR3? When I played it on my friend's 360, I kept on switching the camera position and there wasn't the cockpit view, is it something you have to unlock?

jpr27 said:
Im just hoping that with PGR4 the cars will be close to that level of detail in game. Maybe with the development experience and time with the new Hardware the developers will be able to squeeze out enough from the XB 360 to get that level of detail (photomode) in racing conditions :) One can only hope.

Seeing how they got these visuals off a launch game, I wouldn't doubt it. I really want to see what Next-Gen Forza looks like though.

BlueTsunami said:
Seeing how they got these visuals off a launch game, I wouldn't doubt it. I really want to see what Next-Gen Forza looks like though.

I think it may be better then photomode they had already said they wish they had the final hardware longer because if they had more time the game would have been so much better

as for photomode camera angle can play a big part aswell

Off topic, but how do you switch to cockpit view in PGR3? When I played it on my friend's 360, I kept on switching the camera position and there wasn't the cockpit view, is it something you have to unlock?

A bit off topic but, you just hit the top left trigger to change views. It's available from the beginning.

Jabjabs said:
A bit off topic but, you just hit the top left trigger to change views. It's available from the beginning.

Yeah, continuing the off-topic, sorry, but that is true unless he's playing split screen, where you can't have cockpit view, which may explain why he was switching views, but not finding it.

Paul_G said:
Yeah, continuing the off-topic, sorry, but that is true unless he's playing split screen, where you can't have cockpit view, which may explain why he was switching views, but not finding it.
Yeah, I was playing split screen. I pity my friend because he never tried cockpit mode when playing single player and still thinks you need to unlock it somehow even though he had some of the best cars unlocked by then.

also, I think in picture mode, they have to deal with a very small area while in the actual game, they have a large course with many things going on. by that, they can afford more and better details in picture mode. after all, you are taking pictures, so they might as well pritty it up.

Back