Tearing in videos with aero off.

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
If I or some application decide(s) to change from aero to basic theme in Windows 7 and I then watch any video with any player, I seem to get occasional tearing. It´s like 1-10 seconds of really annoying tearing once every couple of minutes or so. I get a vertical line running across the screen and going up or down a little bit while its tearing... I have used youtube, vlc player and whatever the browser based player is running nfl gamepass on browser.

If I change back to aero theme, this problem goes away. It happens with gtx580 but it was worse with a Radeon 5870 (tearing for longer at a time).

So there is no real problem since just sticking to aero theme totally bypasses the problem. But I am interested as to why this happens? Why does the theme matter as to how smoothly videos play?

little thought
with aero your screen is in d3d mode, thus settings like vysnc in your gfx card 3d settings kick in

you could try creating a bat file to the media player and then a shortcut to the bat file

net start uxsms
"C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:1
net stop uxsms

edit: found this about mediaportal but it may not be specific to that program

"Please be aware that disabling AERO under Vista will introduce tearing. MediaPortal's V-sync is managed by the AERO and with AERO disabled it is not possible to "snap" frame presentation to the v-sync (in theory it would be possible, but would require lot of ugly code in dshowhelper.dll)."

Back