TDK does only Blu-Ray, no HD-DVD

xbdestroya said:
Also of interest, some German site tested Samsung's upcoming Blu-ray burner
Not a lot of new info, things to note:
  • Samsung says they could start shipping, they're just waiting for the final AACS specification (hmpf)
  • It worked pretty much flawlessly
  • The final model will burn DVDs and CDs in addition to BDs

I don't think it's the information in that article that in and of itself was interesting; rather that these drives are in a state of preparedness where they can be sent out to review sites for testing with Nero.

xbdestroya said:
I don't think it's the information in that article that in and of itself was interesting; rather that these drives are in a state of preparedness where they can be sent out to review sites for testing with Nero.

And that is what is exciting me. And is also why Ken Kutargi said he could ship the PS3 anything, but since AACS isn't ready then you know (blah blah blah).

The seek times are quite good I think, the speed and transfer rate less so. This has to be a worry for PS3 games coming on a BRD. For movie playback it should not be a problem at all I guess.

hadareud said:
The seek times are quite good I think, the speed and transfer rate less so. This has to be a worry for PS3 games coming on a BRD. For movie playback it should not be a problem at all I guess.
I think seek times are generally more important, at least for streaming, though of course lousy transfer rate is bad. What are the figures? The translation is a big hokey. I make it

45 Minutes to burn 25 GB
9 MB (MT) a second (?)

Can't find a seek time for BRD, only DVD and CD.

Shifty Geezer said:
I think seek times are generally more important, at least for streaming, though of course lousy transfer rate is bad. What are the figures? The translation is a big hokey. I make it

45 Minutes to burn 25 GB
9 MB (MT) a second (?)

Can write speed be linked to read speed? I'm nto sure how relevant the burn rate is..

It didn't used to be. Burning's usually slower. And I guess that makes the only figure we can get as something like "2x burn (fuel speed = 2fach?), 74 Mbit/s, 9 MB/s". That is 2x BRD spec and I guess we'd get the same read speed at least.

The given figures really are pretty useless! Where's the proper benchmarks?

Shifty Geezer said:

45 Minutes to burn 25 GB
9 MB (MT) a second (?)

yeah, you're right - no figures for BRD. I misread the article, should have read the german original in the first place. I take everything back (for now :D )

TDK has patented the hard coating that every BR disc needs.

Every single BR disc...

It's quite obvious TDK has much more to win with BR than with HD-DVD.

TDK is not the only company that has hard coat technologies used in current DVD products. There are at least 4 disk makers (Verbatim, Maxell, Imation, etc.) who have their own hard coat formulations. Bluray will likely use the cheaper/lighter hard coat from TDK instead of the superhard Durabis that's used on their blank DVDs.

Back