Target goes Bluray only.

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7537

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9750591-7.html

Target jumps on Blu-ray bandwagon
Posted by David Carnoy

Sony's BDP-S300 Blu-ray player currently costs $500.

(Credit: Sony)
First Blockbuster, now Target's going Blu-only. Or at least that's what it appears from an AP report that was filed late yesterday. According to the story, "Target Corp., the nation's second-largest retailer, will start selling a Sony Blu-ray high-definition DVD player during the critical holiday shopping period and feature the player along with Blu-ray discs in store displays, dealing a potential blow to the rival HD DVD format."

universalgoblu.gif

BJ's Wholesale Club stores to carry Blu-ray exclusively

East Coast chain BJ’s Wholesale Club will drop HD DVD from its shelves and carry the Blu-ray Disc format exclusively by the fourth quarter, according to sources at the retailer and several Hollywood studios.

Sources said the chain will carry Blu-ray exclusively at all its 170 stores, although it continues to carry both formats on its Web site.

A spokesperson for the chain didn’t immediately return calls for comment.

BJ’s' move follows Target and Blockbuster, both of which have announced they will increase the presence and support of Blu-ray in stores. Both chains, however, will continue to carry HD DVD movies to some extent.
[ http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6463556.html ]

Another blow to HD DVD ...

Well that's not quite the whole story.

It *may* be that Sony is simply paying for an endcap which would mean that Target isn't choosing a side per se.

Also you can still get a HD-DVD player from their online store.

I'd prefer if just one format survives the HD war.

DVD got big because it was one single format that dominates the market. VHS got big for the same reason.

Two formats will always be less put together than one single format will.

Having said that I prefer if bluray wins since it's the technically superior option.
And also becausre MS is backing HDDVD. Having the market give the greedy monopolists in redmond themselves both worship and rape a firm slap on their fingers would feel quite good I have to asdmit. :cool:
Peace.

Target sold HD-DVD? News to me, hell if you go into a Target it would be news to see more than an end cap with a single BluRay player. Target sells houseware and clothing. They arent a big electronics store even worth mentioning in the format war.

Target sold HD-DVD? News to me, hell if you go into a Target it would be news to see more than an end cap with a single BluRay player. Target sells houseware and clothing. They arent a big electronics store even worth mentioning in the format war.

Target is one of the largest retailers in the world. While they don't move as much electronics as Best Buy or Wal Mart, to say they "aren't worth mentioning" is ludicrous. I live in the home land of Target (Twin Cities) and it's almost impossible to find someone here that doesn't shop there. Target usually puts their media/home entertainment/electronics department right next to the door so chances are pretty high that most everyone that shops there is going to at least browse the section every so often. Given the buying power of Target Corporation and the subsequent low prices, you can even count on many of those shoppers making "impulse buys" in said electronics department.

Basically it all adds up to Target moving lots of CE goods & media.

Target is one of the largest retailers in the world. While they don't move as much electronics as Best Buy or Wal Mart, to say they "aren't worth mentioning" is ludicrous. I live in the home land of Target (Twin Cities) and it's almost impossible to find someone here that doesn't shop there. Target usually puts their media/home entertainment/electronics department right next to the door so chances are pretty high that most everyone that shops there is going to at least browse the section every so often. Given the buying power of Target Corporation and the subsequent low prices, you can even count on many of those shoppers making "impulse buys" in said electronics department.

Basically it all adds up to Target moving lots of CE goods & media.

I live in the Twin Cities as well, have a friend's fiance who works for Target Corp downtown. And yes to think Target going exclusive BluRay is worth mentioning is amusing. You ever walk the aisles at a Target? 1 BluRay player on an end cap. Maybe 20 movies. They arent an electronics store plain and simple. They rarely have a TV above 42 inches.

90% of the store is dedicated to housewares or clothing. Hell their grocery dept gets about 10x the floor space as their electronics dept in the superstores.

I live in the Twin Cities as well, have a friend's fiance who works for Target Corp downtown. And yes to think Target going exclusive BluRay is worth mentioning is amusing. You ever walk the aisles at a Target? 1 BluRay player on an end cap. Maybe 20 movies. They arent an electronics store plain and simple. They rarely have a TV above 42 inches.

So a company that makes $9+ billion in sales every year and has a section devoted to CE/media near the front of every store is irrlevant?

90% of the store is dedicated to housewares or clothing. Hell their grocery dept gets about 10x the floor space as their electronics dept in the superstores.

Because floor space = sales, right? Bzzzzzt wrong answer.

Back