Takahashi: 65nm Xbox360 (code name: Falcon) coming in fall

Already posted here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42604

...but definitely deserving of its own thread. I find it almost a little surprising how Takahashi isn't seemingly as well-read/confident on process shrinks, costs, yields, etc... as he is a lot of other stuff related to this technology. Some of his assumptions are a little ignorant/naive, and he likens Falcon to some sort of "unique to Microsoft" effort, with the only modern analogue taking the form of the PS2 in his analogy.

But anyway, Takahashi's analysis aside, I think here we have our first real insights into what the next MS revision will look like; it will not be a single chip shrink to be followed up by the other at a later date, but rather if Takahashi is correct, both major pieces of silicon at 65nm at one time, along with a full motherboard redesign.

I hope we get photos of the board asap through some source. ;) I love seeing the progression of revisions. I wonder if they're going to go with higher density GDDR3 chips too.

hm... the inclusion of the PSU inside the box seems rather.... silly. I don't see why it's such a huge deal, and it's just another heat source with which to deal. :???:

As for a box redesign, assuming they want to keep the HDD compatibility for the sake of manufacturing, they can only go in one direction. They really ought to go with a slim drive... I've probably brought this up before a long time ago, but... "why not?" Is it that much more expensive? Less reliable?

What's funny is every non-65nm 360 will suddenly get the RRoD (induced or natural) now to get a new 65nm Xbox. I'm hoping it's quieter too.

These will debut in the XBOX 360 Elite Japan versions come October 11th.

If I'm not mistaken.....(cause if it is, then Europe will miss the both with their earlier August launch)

Back