system going crazy with 90 release drivers

Razor1

Veteran
This is what I have with the system that goes bonkers

ASUS AN8 32 SLi- Deluxe nf4 AMD 4800+
X-fi Fatality
7800 512

Everytime I use 90 release drivers, any of them so far, I get wierd issues with my HD, even after a fresh format, where Windows even in the middle of doing something just doesn't pick up the drive.

The problem doesn't show up immidiately after a fresh install of Windows and the drivers either, it takes a few hours, or sometimes days, but once its starts to appear, it gets more frequent as time goes on. Usually it will start BSODing with meaningless error codes usually machine_check_ exception errors.

The last time this happened to me told me something about the XFi drivers

Anyways the only way to get the HD recongnizable in Windows before I roll back drivers is to actually unplug any of the hard drive cables and plug it back in.

Once I roll back to the 80 release drivers, everything works fine though.

The other 2 systems I have, one with a 7800 512 in it and using 90 release drivers, is a EVGA sli motherboard (old one AMD 4800+) and works fine and the other with a 8800 gtx (evga motherboard, new one with the core duo), no problems at all.

So if anyone else has or had this kind of issue, please post lol, its the wierdest thing, and I've talked with ASUS about it, and they don't know what to do other then RMA the motherboard, which isnt really the problem.

I've tried checking everything, everything is 100% fine, even with just the motherboard and graphics card even if I switched the graphics card out with a 7800 gt, same things happen with the 90 release drivers. I've searched the web, but to no avail, others with this kind of issue, simple put the voltage of the ram up to the specs corsair recommends and the problem goes away, didn't work for me, actaully ASUS's tech support told me to try that again, and it didn't work again lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to try replacing the SATA cable, I had a similar problem and even though the cable looked fine, it was causing my computer to randomly freeze. After replacing the power supply, video card, drivers etc... I noticed that the NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller Properties in the device manager had restricted the speed of the drive due to 'problems reading' - thanks for letting me know!.... as soon as I swapped cables it's been fine ever since. The speed test and diagnostics for the nForce4 chipset are really good, I just had never noticed them until I had this problem.

Most people have spare cables they get with drives or the motherboard, try swapping them and see.

Andy.

Back