Switch 2 Speculation

Inuhanyou

Veteran
I didn't remembered the T239 leak.
At the moment the closest model is Orin NX with thermal between 10W and 25W. I don't know if they are counting memory consumption too.
Remove half the ram.
Remove all the automotive specific stuff.
Move from sam 8nm to tsmc 7nm++ and gain 30% just from this.
It's in the switch range but still too much.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway... Why are we all supposing that it will just be exactly like the switch but faster?
Because switch is winning formula for them. The only reason to bring out a new system is to refresh the machine with newer tech. They reasonably can't make another type of system anyway because they fused their development company for their handhelds and console into one. The switch concept of a machine that does both is the final conclusion of Nintendo hardware as a concept

Inuhanyou

Veteran
Smartphones are already reaching PS4 level of graphic prowess.

The newest Snapdragon 8 Gen2 (4nm) and iPhone 14 GPU (iPhone 14 Pro has the same GPU) are quite capable. Xiaomi 13 Pro can run Genshin Impact at 1440p60fps but needs more than passive cooling at 12W power consumption. They even run it at 4K and still get 30fps.
That's true, but Nintendo never goes for new hardware these days under any circumstances. So it's not much use

neckthrough

Newcomer
Smartphones are already reaching PS4 level of graphic prowess.

The newest Snapdragon 8 Gen2 (4nm) and iPhone 14 GPU (iPhone 14 Pro has the same GPU) are quite capable. Xiaomi 13 Pro can run Genshin Impact at 1440p60fps but needs more than passive cooling at 12W power consumption. They even run it at 4K and still get 30fps.
The Xiaomi 13 Pro is a $900 device.

The Switch is a $300 device, and that price includes two detachable Joycons, a dock, and cartridge slot, and the margins need to amortize R&D costs that I would think are higher than a cookie-cutter cellphone. I wouldn't be surprised if the BOM budget for the SoC in a Switch is 4-5x lower than that in a high-end smartphone.

Goodtwin

Veteran
Supporter
Aaaaaaaaaanyway... Why are we all supposing that it will just be exactly like the switch but faster?
There will probably be some sort of unique features, but because of the success, and continued success its very likely the successor will be fairly straight forward. The current CEO at Nintendo is not the creative type like Iwata was. I find it very unlikely someone who is more business oriented will decide to go a completely different direction after the success of the Switch.

Yes, but still switch is dominating with specs that at the time of launch were already comparable to a low end phone.
The Tegra X1 was not low end in 2017. This is a common misconception because the Tegra X1 was on the market for nearly two years when Switch released, but its graphics performance was still very competitive in 2017 compared to other mobile SOC's in 2017

Here is a low end phone:

Capture.PNG

Here is a high end phone:
Capture2.PNG

Pressure

Veteran
The Xiaomi 13 Pro is a $900 device.

The Switch is a $300 device, and that price includes two detachable Joycons, a dock, and cartridge slot, and the margins need to amortize R&D costs that I would think are higher than a cookie-cutter cellphone. I wouldn't be surprised if the BOM budget for the SoC in a Switch is 4-5x lower than that in a high-end smartphone.
I'm guessing the Snapdragon 8 Gen2 isn't the most expensive part of the bill of materials (BOM), yes?

Rootax

Veteran
There will probably be some sort of unique features, but because of the success, and continued success its very likely the successor will be fairly straight forward. The current CEO at Nintendo is not the creative type like Iwata was. I find it very unlikely someone who is more business oriented will decide to go a completely different direction after the success of the Switch.

The Tegra X1 was not low end in 2017. This is a common misconception because the Tegra X1 was on the market for nearly two years when Switch released, but its graphics performance was still very competitive in 2017 compared to other mobile SOC's in 2017

Here is a low end phone:

View attachment 8166

Here is a high end phone:
View attachment 8167

True, but the switch version was underclocked vs the shield tv version, right ?

Having say that, i don't like the comparaison vs other SoC running only android for gaming, since I guess the Nintendo/nVidia os is much more tunned for gaming. I remember when DF tested the nvidia game on the shield tv, it was kind of a mess despite the good hardware.

Anyway, I believe the switch 2 will not sell as well as the first one. The first one was innovative and without opponent. Now, they will have to fight against, well, the switch one, and things like steam deck... I don't know... I hope one day Nintendo devs will have the chance to explore powerful hardware again...

Inuhanyou

Veteran
True, but the switch version was underclocked vs the shield tv version, right ?

Having say that, i don't like the comparaison vs other SoC running only android for gaming, since I guess the Nintendo/nVidia os is much more tunned for gaming. I remember when DF tested the nvidia game on the shield tv, it was kind of a mess despite the good hardware.

Anyway, I believe the switch 2 will not sell as well as the first one. The first one was innovative and without opponent. Now, they will have to fight against, well, the switch one, and things like steam deck... I don't know... I hope one day Nintendo devs will have the chance to explore powerful hardware again...
They will retire the switch fast so there's no need to worry about competing with previous hw.

neckthrough

Newcomer
I thought he meant, will people upgrade to Switch2 if they already have the first one?
If the switch 2 offers full BC with performance improvements for older titles (e.g. 60fps Botw, Astral Chain) then I will definitely upgrade. There’s also the potential for last-gen (PS4) ports, although the Deck has tempered some of that excitement.

JPT

Veteran
Supporter
They will if Nintendo stops releasing games for it, which is inevitable.

Nintendo might do that, but I compare the Switch more to DS et al, so I assume it will be similar.

If the switch 2 offers full BC with performance improvements for older titles (e.g. 60fps Botw, Astral Chain) then I will definitely upgrade. There’s also the potential for last-gen (PS4) ports, although the Deck has tempered some of that excitement.

Sure, but how many kids are in that frame of mind and can get their parents to splash on a new one. Then again I have no idea about the breakdown of the demographics of the switch user base.