suprising results with "new revision" parhelia (8x

Nappe1

lp0 On Fire!
Veteran
at first, I state that this card / chip isn't ment to be competitive in high end. Hopefully everyone undertands that this is not supposed to be faster than just released GF 6800U. In fact the whole chip/card isn't even officially launched by Matrox. (which is wierd because Borat at MURC has been able to buy a one.)

as keegdsb stated here, newer core revision of parhelia seems to be what parhelia was originally supposed to be.

"Borat" from matroxusers has been able to buy one of these and acording to first tests, the performance boost is suprinsgly high. card is clocked (as matrox cards usually are) rather low, 250MHz core and 360MHz memory, it seems overclock waaayyy better than the original one. He is now running it at 300/395 and it is "rock solid". as some benchmark results, on those clocks he gained "just under 25,000 Aquamarks"

as a background information on this "new revision" I can provide following screenshot (me as the purple writer.) , that has one set of rumoured specs, but I can't be 100% sure if the revision Borat has same specs. It is not in my 100% knowledge, what delayed 8x version all this time. (check the dates on screencapture.)

p8x_stuff.gif

Link to the original thread at MatroxUsers with few more tests:
http://www.matroxusers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47782

3DMark 2001SE compare url is coming as soon as Worm gets his physical part of his existence moved to the office and "force published" the project. (ORB didn't allow publishing it normally.)

would be nice if they could put out something competetative..
I always liked Matrox, even tho their OpenGL drivers were somewhat
questionable on my G200..

Well, this spring is the 5th anniversary of their last competitive card, so who knows, maybe they are on a 5-year cycle.

hard to imagine it being competative at 300Mhz or lower core..
unless it has some special tricks to it like 32 physical pipes or whathaveyou,
if the rumours about R420 to run at around 600Mhz Core in its high end
version at 16 pipes, and 6800Ultra which latly is hinted to acctually end up
at around 600Mhz core aswell, even tho reviewers samples were 400Mhz..

I guess time will tell, but if they can put up a fight with the mid end cards
and at a resonable price, it could become a viable option i guess..

Geeforcer said:
Well, this spring is the 5th anniversary of their last competitive card, so who knows, maybe they are on a 5-year cycle.

as trying to not cause hype, I really doubt it would be this year, when matrox does another try. everything that I have heard, points that we see new Marvel product on summer. Brand new core could be possible on 2005, but it is possible that it just brings basic features on level that is needed for Longhorn. (it does not have to be market leader, but they need a new core to base new niche market cards on.)

Back