Supreme Commander a Graphics Study

I still play Forged Alliance almost weekly online with a friend or two. It still demands a lot of modern systems in intense situations.

I recently bought Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance for two buck each in the original (messed up) boxes at a local store. Only played a few of the tutorial levels in SC so far, so I haven't had any intense situations yet. The article seems to say each unit(mesh) is drawn individually (except vegetation), so maybe it gets draw call limited in intense situations.

Forged Alliance has a much more intense campaign. It assumes you know how to play.

I'm not sure if single player will bog down a modern machine noticeably. Multiplayer can though. It really cranks up the scale of the mayhem.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if single player will bog down a modern machine noticeably. Multiplayer can though. It really cranks up the scale of the mayhem.
Before you edited your post you mentioned some core thread distribution mod, what did you call it? It sounds like it might come in handy if I get into the game/s.

Core Maximizer. It was most useful when we were using slower CPUs like Athlon 64 X2. Keeps the 2 major threads from sitting on one core. It can very obviously help CPUs with low per core performance. I haven't seen it noticeably benefit a modern Intel chip.

I thought my post was going too far into historical rambling.

Last edited:
Back