Supposed NV40 & R420 pics

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11742

nvid2.jpg

nv40.jpg

viper.jpg

:?

The board layout, and heasink outline of the NVIDIA board are consistent with the shots we've already seen of NV36 - I'd expect NV40's die size to be larger as well.

Gawd knows about the ATI board - it seems to be Rev 1 (A11). Packaging is a bit funky and it appears to be on a PCI bus.

DaveBaumann said:
The board layout, and heasink outline of the NVIDIA board are consistent with the shots we've already seen of NV36...

Yeah, absolutely identical (although I haven't seen an NV36 ref board with a capture chip and dual DVI yet).

Anybody recognise the "M" logo on the ATi board?

MuFu.

The memory arrangement and layout of the NV board is also consistent with a 128-bit bus.

I wonder if the ATI board is a laptop chip with some RAM on the package.

Have to agree with Dave here.

new packaging for the 9600Pro chips for laptops?

That M logo is close to Micron's logo, but could it mean Mobile?

DaveBaumann said:
i dont think so. that capacitor(?) and the 3 pins sticking out seem quite out of place if this was a laptop chip. I could be wrong though

later,
epic

DaveBaumann said:
The memory arrangement and layout of the NV board is also consistent with a 128-bit bus.

Jupp... you hardly can see any lines for the memory on the PCB

Lars

The Inquirer said:
Both the cards, pictured in an exclusive photosession here at Computex, for the INQ used ultra high speed GDDR3 memory modules from Micron Technology.

A Micron official confirmed that it is GDDR3 running at 800MHz and giving a data rate of 1.6Gbps will be in full production in Q1 of 2004.
Is that 800 mhz "effective ddr" or the raw speed :?: :oops:

arjan de lumens said:
The M logo is the logo of DRAM maker Micron.

That does look like the Micron logo. This in my opinion is just another hint that Micron will be fabbing the X-Box 2 VPU and possibly R500 VPU's for the PC.

Crucial (A Micron company) sells R300 based graphic cards. ATI and Micron worked together on the GDDR-3 spec. Now we see a VPU with a Micron logo on it.

The consequences of a cozy releationship between Micron and ATI could lead to intresting things. What if Micron with its "Yukon processor" found some synergy with ATI technology?

Here is a link on Microns Yukon processor.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1154900,00.asp

from that link above:
useful for applications such as image and video processing

I have a feeling that the reason they only gave us a closeup of the ATi chips is because seeing the whole board would give something away, something they dont want us to see...

i never saidi thought it was an R420. it's interesting that the copyright on the board is micron, the memory is micron, and the chip has that big "m" on it... think they could be trying to tell us something? :p

really though- PCI? without a bridge chip of some sort (that i can see)? this looks like definitely not a chip to get excited about seeing in stores...

Unless it's a PCI add-in board to be connected to an AGP board of the same caliber... :p After all, there is no back plate on that [H]-pic.

Ollo said:
Unless it's a PCI add-in board to be connected to an AGP board of the same caliber... :p After all, there is no back plate on that [H]-pic.
yes I was thinking that, but you would have to have some method of connecting the two cards which i don't see....

Back