Super Mario Odyssey [NX]

mpg1

Veteran
Alright, thought I'd start a thread on this game as it'll probably be one of the bigger if the not the biggest game on Switch. Have watched a decent amount of footage of this and looks like as close as a successor to SM64 as you're going to get. Main new thing is the ability to the use hat for different abilities/take on characters and objects.

No posts...

I've been playing this for about 50 hours now and close to finishing all the worlds. It's a great game, in many ways probably note fun to play than most other games despite the "bad" graphics.

There are some things that make me want to trow the controller at the screen from time to time though.

- camera angle is retarded. Half the time you don't have a clue where you are jumping to.
- controls. Mario seems to make a habit of not doing what you want. Sliding off a wall instead of grabbing on, pounding instead of jumping, double jumping whenever it suits him etc.
- same lame gameplay design where you end up dying because enemies spawn 1mm in front of you.

It's actually a very good game which make the bad things stand out more than usual.

Edit: new donk city and Bowser's kingdom are probably my favorite.

Last edited:
yeah no posts, strange.
I don't like the concept of the switch, don't like the specs (as a home console), don't like the controls solutions and detachable pads.
And i must admit i miss nintendo games (my last nintendo was a DS lite) and each time i see the mario odyssey commercial i want to buy one.

The joycons are surprisingly good actually. They are a bit small but the ergonomics in handheld mode are good. The other day I played four hours straight without any issues.

Personally I think the switch is a great concept and more importantly properly executed. Yeah the specs are weak for a home console but the games are fun and that is what it's all about in the end imo.

The portability is also great for me but that will obviously depend on the person.

Odyssey was probably the most traditionally "fun" game I've played in years. I think I have collected 850 moons so far and loved just about every minute of it. Nintendo really nailed character movement. Moment-to-moment is absolutely sublime. I'm pretty content with the joycons as well. The amount of resistance the little analog sticks provide is pretty much perfect. The pro controller sticks feel a bit too loose by comparison.

The last level in this game really is a fucking disaster. Wondered if the devs ever played it themselves. The retarded camera angels really make it much harder than it should be.

Oh and having to start over from the start? Yeah, piss off.

Shitty end to a game I otherwise greatly enjoyed.

I loved the last level. It was an old-school test of skill with a bit of resource management thrown in. Most Mario games have a level like that. I thought the camera was set up fairly well too.

Back