Sun XVR 1000

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by mboeller, Mar 15, 2002.

1. mboeller

Regular

2. pascal

Veteran

3D Labs´ Wildcat III 6110 will be:
    - Cheaper 3000 < 3500
    - Will require a PC (with AGP pro 50 slot)
    - Probably faster with Pro apps

3. psurge

Regular

Well, I suppose the geometry engine is about as programmable as you can make it, but apart from that it honestly seems pathetic performance wise... Also has anyone looked at their solution for scaling performance? (see http://www.sun.co.jp/dot-com/tools/dotcomforum/c4.pdf slide 12 - 14). It looks like they are duplicating a block containing program memory, texture memory, a MAJC5200 and a rasterizer.

Now the performance of a single one of these units is 19MT/s peak
    and 119MPixels/s... So about 8 of these would give you fill comparable to a GF4 or 8500.

I don't understand how this kind of design makes sense... I guess this is an example of general purpose programmability losing to dedicated HW in a big way...

thoughts?
    Serge

4. ushac

Newcomer

If you're working stricly with wireframe or flatshaded models it might be useful... Something that's not very fillrate limited. CAD and stuff...?

Regards / ushac