Suggestion on overclocking memory

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by denis, Nov 27, 2003.

1. denis

Newcomer

Hi there. I’m trying to oc a ge force 2 GTS, it a creative card with infineon memory at 6 or 5 ns (I don’t remember). I can push the memory at 385 and then I see artifacts at 3d mark2000. At quake3 I see artifacts from 370! The strange thing is that the memory chips are not hot, they are rather cold. I don’t understand this.Would i see difference if I put some heatsinks at memory, what do you think? Any suggestion on oc?

By the way the memory as far as I know takes the 3.3V from motherboard and as far I can’t overvolt it or can I?

Suggestion please :?

2. Tahir2

Veteran

My suggestion is not to overclock the memory more than 10% of its initial clockspeed. And if the memory chips are cool then adding heatsinks may not help. You need to up the voltage.

Gfx cards memory dies quicker than the core when overclocked too much or for long periods of time in my experience.